Tech Preview: Hive Wavetables

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

KBSoundSmith wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 pm
KBSoundSmith wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:51 pmAlso, is it possible to load Galbanum waveforms for use as LFOs in Hive? (feature request?)
I'm a bit torn on this. I think it would turn Hive into a hit-and-miss concept. A great one, but still.
I'm totally fine with the answer being "no" since I can see how it would be both practically and philosophically problematic for Hive. And from a user perspective, it even could be considered redundant, given the creative ways Hive's existing modulation options can already be combined. Just an impulsive thought, was all :lol:
Don't get me wrong... I really considered it early on. You know... "why not also..." - but I'm most certain that it would take away more than it gains. We'll most certainly do it in Zebra though...

Howard wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 pm That first "Waveshaping" script is great for flute/pipe type sounds :-)
Patches?
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

cytospur wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09 pm
Howard wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 pm That first "Waveshaping" script is great for flute/pipe type sounds :-)
Patches?
I took that first waveshaping script and substituted it into OSC 2 of a pad I was working on. Not quite done yet, but I do have some audio. Just me holding down a chord, waiting a few seconds, then slowly shifting the modwheel. https://bit.ly/2Jr8XQJ

That website's playback often has audible artifacts, so best to download it. Happy to share the patch once it's a bit more polished.

Urs wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 pm We'll most certainly do it in Zebra though...
:o :hyper:

KBSoundSmith wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 am
Patches?
I took that first waveshaping script and substituted it into OSC 2 of a pad I was working on. Not quite done yet, but I do have some audio. Just me holding down a chord, waiting a few seconds, then slowly shifting the modwheel. https://bit.ly/2Jr8XQJ

That website's playback often has audible artifacts, so best to download it. Happy to share the patch once it's a bit more polished.
That sounds really lovely! I'd love to have the patch for that. Very different from what I've been doing.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/

One thing that I do wish worked differently is the way user wavetables are accessed.

I ran into the issue of MacOS not being able to display a menu of all my wavetable folders (see a page or so before this), but it wouldn't be an issue if I could just browse for a wavetable to load anywhere on my system.

Is there any possibility of implementing a browse feature to load wavetables?

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:28 pm One thing that I do wish worked differently is the way user wavetables are accessed.

I ran into the issue of MacOS not being able to display a menu of all my wavetable folders (see a page or so before this), but it wouldn't be an issue if I could just browse for a wavetable to load anywhere on my system.

Yes, we have a concept where browsing folders and tables is done separately, if too many folders or wavetables are present. We hope to have this available later this year, either as an update or in one of our next rounds of "Latest Builds" (stable betas which fix things before we manage to do a full release).

Urs wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm
Forgotten wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:28 pm One thing that I do wish worked differently is the way user wavetables are accessed.

Yes, we have a concept where browsing folders and tables is done separately, if too many folders or wavetables are present. We hope to have this available later this year, either as an update or in one of our next rounds of "Latest Builds" (stable betas which fix things before we manage to do a full release).
That's good to hear. Thanks Urs!

cytospur wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:05 am
KBSoundSmith wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 am
Patches?

That sounds really lovely! I'd love to have the patch for that. Very different from what I've been doing.
Got the patch polished up, ready to share. I had been using a factory WT for OSC 2, but on a whim I tried your .uhm script and it just slotted in quite nicely... serendipity for you. BTW, there are a few alternate suggestions to try, saved in the patch description.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Awesome, thank you!

Here's another script that makes for a lovely harpsichordy sound:

Code: Select all

Info "By Mark Holt\n2op rFM with feedback\nSet Tables to 4\n"

NumFrames=256

Wave start=0 end=63 "sin(2*pi*(phase+table*sin(2*pi*phase))/(1-0.25*table*sin(2*pi*(phase+table*sin(2*pi*phase)))))"
Wave start=64 end=127 "sin(2*pi*(phase+table*sin(2*pi*phase))/(1-0.25*table*sin(4*pi*(phase+table*sin(4*pi*phase)))))"
Wave start=128 end=191 "sin(2*pi*(phase+table*sin(2*pi*phase))/(1-0.25*table*sin(6*pi*(phase+table*sin(6*pi*phase)))))"
Wave start=192 end=255 "sin(2*pi*(phase+table*sin(2*pi*phase))/(1-0.25*table*sin(8*pi*(phase+table*sin(8*pi*phase)))))"

Spectrum lowest=0 highest=0 "0"
Normalize Metric=peak Base=each

Export Source=main "MH 2op rFM.wav"

And one more for the weekend. Made using UHMate DX - a DX version of a JP 80X0 supersaw!

Code: Select all

Info "Yamaha 6op FM Supersaw\nBy Mark Holt\n"

NumFrames=256

//XX-bit phase ramp
Wave target=aux1 "round((2^8)*phase)/(2^8)"

//Op6
Envelope curve=linear L0=1.0 T1=0.0 L1=1.0 T2=0.236 L2=1.0 T3=0.399 L3=1.0 T4=0.365 L4=-0.162
Wave "2.0*env(table)*sin(5*2*pi+0.918*sin(3*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.2*sin(2*pi*((1*table)%1))))/(1-0.9*cos(5*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.2*sin(2*pi*((1*table)%1))))))"
//Op5
Envelope curve=linear L0=1.0 T1=0.0 L1=1.0 T2=0.257 L2=0.674 T3=0.301 L3=0.162 T4=0.442 L4=0.225
Wave target=aux2 "2.0*env(table)*sin(3*2*pi+0.918*sin(5*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.2*sin(2*pi*((1*table)%1))))/(1-0.9*cos(5*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.2*sin(2*pi*((1*table)%1)))))+x)"
//Op4
Envelope curve=linear L0=1.0 T1=0.0 L1=1.0 T2=0.281 L2=0.424 T3=0.326 L3=0.462 T4=0.393 L4=0.737
Wave "2.0*env(table)*sin(3*2*pi+0.918*sin(2*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.34*sin(2*pi*((2*table)%1))))/(1-0.9*cos(3*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.34*sin(2*pi*((2*table)%1))))))"
//Op3
Envelope curve=linear L0=1.0 T1=0.0 L1=0.225 T2=0.222 L2=0.95 T3=0.378 L3=0.212 T4=0.399 L4=0.274
Wave target=aux2 "2.0*env(table)*sin(2*2*pi+0.918*sin(3*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.34*sin(2*pi*((-2*table)%1))))/(1-0.9*cos(3*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.34*sin(2*pi*((-2*table)%1)))))+x)+aux2"
//Op2
Envelope curve=linear L0=1.0 T1=0.0 L1=1.0 T2=0.32 L2=0.362 T3=0.247 L3=0.45 T4=0.432 L4=0.475
Wave "2.0*env(table)*sin(2*2*pi+0.918*sin(1*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.3*sin(2*pi*((-4*table)%1))))/(1-0.9*cos(1*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.3*sin(2*pi*((-4*table)%1))))))"
//Op1
Envelope curve=linear L0=1.0 T1=0.0 L1=1.0 T2=0.249 L2=1.0 T3=0.411 L3=1.0 T4=0.34 L4=0.362
Wave "2.0*env(table)*sin(2*2*pi+0.918*sin(1*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.3*sin(2*pi*((-4*table)%1))))/(1-0.9*cos(1*2*pi*aux1^(1+0.3*sin(2*pi*((-4*table)%1)))))+x)+aux2"

Spectrum lowest=0 highest=0 "0"
Normalize Metric=peak Base=each

Export Source=main "MH DX Supersaw.wav"

Question: how to get the cleanest possible wavetable when combining single-cycle waveforms extracted from audio recordings?

For the sake of learning, I am creating a wavetable of five vowels (Ah, Eh, Ee, Oh, Oo), where the XY pad can be used like a vector synth. I figured out how to construct the table so that "Ah" is set in the center, "Eh" in top left quadrant, "Ee" in bottom left quadrant, "Oh" in bottom right quadrant, and "Oo" in top right quadrant of the XY pad. Here's an mp3 of where it's at currently: https://app.box.com/s/0a561uiafsyxcqtl7kd2e8hr5slv0rum

I'm not going to pretend I know the best pitch to use for the recording, the best way to extract a single cycle, or anything refined about the process really. To construct the table, I imported single-cycles into Serum, since I haven't begun learning how to use .uhm scripting (my math skills are pretty rusty...). (Note: the audio recording itself in this case was a rush-job just to have audio to study WT construction with -- I will record again with proper conditions for a proper, finalized table).

I think it's been touched upon but perhaps not directly discussed: I'm curious to learn why a certain class of WT FX are not featured in Hive 2. Sometimes these FX are referred to as Warp, Morph or Bend modes.

I ask because these FX types show up in several other synthesizers with WT oscillators, so I wonder why Hive 2 doesn't feature them too. Not critiquing, just curious.

Dim Vision wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:27 am I think it's been touched upon but perhaps not directly discussed: I'm curious to learn why a certain class of WT FX are not featured in Hive 2. Sometimes these FX are referred to as Warp, Morph or Bend modes.

I ask because these FX types show up in several other synthesizers with WT oscillators, so I wonder why Hive 2 doesn't feature them too. Not critiquing, just curious.
One fo the reasons, they would only work on wavetables, but not on the built-in standard waveforms.

I pretty much "invented" waveform-independent oscillator FX in Zebra (or re-invented, should anyone have done a similar thing before, without my knowledge) as a means to make wavetables with a relatively low count of frames sound more interesting. The thing about *most* of these effects is that, yes, they are useful, but also, each creates its own distinct sound. They also often depend on the wavetable and the result may not be overly predictable. Our mission with Hive and its scripting feature was to create a library of very distinct, very universal wavetables which hopefully don't need further means to make them sound interesting, and which are always instantly gratifying.

Urs wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:07 pm One fo the reasons, they would only work on wavetables, but not on the built-in standard waveforms.

I pretty much "invented" waveform-independent oscillator FX in Zebra (or re-invented, should anyone have done a similar thing before, without my knowledge) as a means to make wavetables with a relatively low count of frames sound more interesting. The thing about *most* of these effects is that, yes, they are useful, but also, each creates its own distinct sound. They also often depend on the wavetable and the result may not be overly predictable. Our mission with Hive and its scripting feature was to create a library of very distinct, very universal wavetables which hopefully don't need further means to make them sound interesting, and which are always instantly gratifying.
Just the kind of insightful answer I was hoping for. Thanks for sharing that Urs.

Return to “u-he”