Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 pm Atough the minimum delay time readout in the long delay module reads 0.04ms , I 've noticed when doing feedback loops the minim time is actually 5.19ms
This is way too much for doing feedback loops , we need a 1 UNIT sample feedback .

You can easily test this your self by building a phase modulation osc byy using the phasor and a sine lookup , feeding back into itself .
It is one buffer... so your audio settings will affect it... but yes, it cannot be less that 1 buffer

Noumena wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:42 pm
tooneba wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 pm Identity crisis. Difference between the products grown in the original philosophy and the one plagiarized existing product.
it is not plagiarized. i used ableton since v1 and taught classes on it. BW is more than different enough and it does a ton that live can’t do at all.
Being different and plagiarizing are not exclusive conditions.

teilo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:50 pmAnd why should any of us care? Seriously. Why are you in this thread? Are you looking for validation?
Why is my opinion worth any less than yours? I owned a boxed copy of Bitwig for a year or so, my experience of it is at least as valid as anyone else's. It was on the back of nobody having anything bad to say about it that I bought it in the first place. I wish someone had been little more forthcoming about the poor quality of the included instruments and effects and the dicky workflow, it would have saved me a lot of time and a bit of money. My initial experience was OK, which is why I upgraded from the free version, but the more I needed to get into it, the less impressed I was.
SLiC wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 pmIts all personal preference and whatever fits your workflow. I wind BWS the most intuitive and interesting DAW to work with if I am not sequencing live instruments. I also have Cubase 10 (just because I have been with it since Pro24 days) but realy don't like it much anymore, I find it to cluttered and over complicated for my humble needs....I was a Cubase + Live guy, now I can get 80% of what I do done on just Bitwig (an the rest in Studio One)
My experience is the exact opposite. I have taken to Cubase like a duck to water because it has a far more unified environment than Bitwig. You basically do everything in one place, no flipping from here to do loop-based stuff over to there to do linear stuff. A lot of people seem to like having modulators available outside their instruments but I see no point in that, especially for the way we work. My bandmate felt the same, he was very glad when I decided to stop using it.

Yes, Cubase is hugely complex but it feels like it is full of tools I will actually use, whereas Bitwig felt like it was made for someone else and I'd never use half of what it had to offer. The new features in v3 just confirm that further for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:48 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 pm Atough the minimum delay time readout in the long delay module reads 0.04ms , I 've noticed when doing feedback loops the minim time is actually 5.19ms
This is way too much for doing feedback loops , we need a 1 UNIT sample feedback .

You can easily test this your self by building a phase modulation osc byy using the phasor and a sine lookup , feeding back into itself .
It is one buffer... so your audio settings will affect it... but yes, it cannot be less that 1 buffer
This takes us back to the max/msp days with the dreaded vector size ( pre gen )
Anyway , for me this is show stopper .
You don't actually need to do feedback loops , the minimum delay readout is just wrong, it is 6ms . When panning 2 osc's left and right ( ringht into the delay set to minimum ) , the right channel is delayed by 6ms when recorded .
So if you want to build phasers , and karplus strong ( not using the combfilter ) stuff in bitwig , you're out of luck
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Great update! Congratulations to the Bitwig team for such excellent release :)

I bought Bitwig ver 2.3 (2nd hand) and then I really liked everything so I got one or two months ago a one year update plan and I bought not discounted because I really felt that it worth it :) Anyway, my plan was to get ver 2.5 with the fixes and updates for a year. Now, just couple of months and I have version 3 with this incredible modular synth.

For me, it is the best DAW I have and version 3 even made it much more practical and economical on the long run! The main reason is the Grid. Why? Because it sounds great and the workflow to make my own sounds can't be better than that! The design is so great really. So easy to use! I can figure most of it without a manual!!

I believe that the Grid (and its FX sibling) is an essential upgrade as it makes Bitwig not just a DAW but a sound designer. It makes me concentrate on sounds and music with minimum additional 3rd party tools (if ever!).

I'm looking to install it also in my old laptop and see how it runs there :)

How’s Bitwig for cpu performance on mac, compared to Cubase or Studio One?

simmo75 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:51 am How’s Bitwig for cpu performance on mac, compared to Cubase or Studio One?
viewtopic.php?t=527162

simmo75 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:51 am How’s Bitwig for cpu performance on mac, compared to Cubase or Studio One?
viewtopic.php?t=528362&hilit=fan

Resonant- Serpent wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 pm Did they ever implement Rewire?
They never promised it (and really very few people asked for it) - so no.

Also I hear this works fine: https://energy-xt.com/rewire-vst.html
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 pmYes, Cubase is hugely complex but it feels like it is full of tools I will actually use, whereas Bitwig felt like it was made for someone else and I'd never use half of what it had to offer. The new features in v3 just confirm that further for me.
That's a great and valid way to look at it. I feel the same about Cubase or Studio One ("they're made for someone else than me"). And that's fine - everyone has different needs and workflow resulting from those needs.

:clap:
Music tech enthusiast

Passing Bye wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:38 am :lol: @12:12

@2:25, 18:55
LOL. I don't ever recall Bitwig crashing on me. One would think they'd remove this from the videos...
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:51 am
Resonant- Serpent wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 pm Did they ever implement Rewire?
I don't use Bitwig, but... if i was them, i would focus on other things than Rewire. IMO, waste of time.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 am
I don't use Bitwig, but... if i was them, i would focus on other things than Rewire. IMO, waste of time.
Didn't wanted to be blunt, but that's my take on it as well (even if I'm Reason user as well).
Music tech enthusiast

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 am

Yeah more of this stuff...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”