Cannot move dials in Bitwig 3

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently upgraded to Bitwig 3.
I was still running 44xx versions of u-he plugins, but they were locking up when trying to open or close the UI.

After upgrading to the latest versions things work much better, but I can't drag any dials.
Dropdowns and toggles work, but when trying to drag a dial, the right click menu is just displayed.

This behaviour is present in all plugins I tried: zebra2, uhbik and twangstrom.

Audio is working, and the parameters can be tweaked through automation or the bitwig device panel parameter list. The UI does update when tweaking the parameters this way.

This is running on Ubuntu 19.04, using the vanilla kernel (5.0.0-20-generic) in a KDE desktop on X11 (no wayland here yet)

This seems to be quite serious. I haven't upgraded yet to 3.0 although I use Bitwig a lot. I'm running Xubuntu 18.04. I hope this issue will get fixed.

Is this confirmed ? If so, I will not get Bitwig 3.0 and wait until this is fixed.

It works fine in Bitwig 3 on Ubuntu Studio 17.04, tried it with Diva rev. 8256.

But left-click working like a right-click is something I am experiencing, too, though it's not tied to u-he plugins.
It happens because I run Linux and Windows as a VM inside Parallels Desktop on Mac.
When I use the Mac shortcuts to do a screenshot of a VM, and then want to continue using the VM, left-clicks in the VM are suddenly treated as right-clicks.
I have to switch to the Mac desktop, left-click there, then come back to the virtual machine, and it will work correctly again. I assume that's a bug of Parallels Desktop.

If you are running Linux as a virtual machine, maybe you have the same problem.
But if you are running Linux natively, then I have no idea what might be causing this.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

I had a friend having similar issues, he erased his KDE configuration files and then it was working well.

I use Xfce (Xubuntu 18.04) and am not inclined so much in doing any system modification such as erasing the desktop's config files (eg. finding them, what they are, what's their purpose, wil they be re=created automatically or will the system hang refusing total access, before erasing (moving away) any).

You can create a dummy user just to try out.

I updated to bitwig 3.01, issue still persists.

It does indeed seem to treat every click as a right click event at the position where you release the button. (and since buttons and menus have the same behaviour on right and left click, they work as expected).

I'll try with both a dummy user and factory kde settings and a different window manager.
The settings on this machine are near stock though.

I'll email Bitwig about this.

Well, I upgraded to the latest builds of Bazille, Diva, Hive and ACE. All exhibit the same behavior as stated before: Bazille crashes, and the others don't respond properly to the (x) close button.

Here is what xev outputs during the first three (x) clicks, about two messages per click:

Code: Select all

LeaveNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x6400000,
    root 0x1e6, subw 0x8800000, time 2607972077, (1046,-1), root:(2486,1319),
    mode NotifyNormal, detail NotifyVirtual, same_screen YES,
    focus YES, state 16

UnmapNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x6400000,
    event 0x6400000, window 0x8800000, from_configure NO

Expose event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x6400000,
    (0,0), width 1130, height 680, count 0

DestroyNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x6400000,
    event 0x6400000, window 0x8800000

UnmapNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x6400000,
    event 0x6400000, window 0x6400000, from_configure NO

FocusOut event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x6400000,
    mode NotifyNormal, detail NotifyNonlinear

DestroyNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x6400000,
    event 0x6400000, window 0x6400000
Upon the third click, the window is finally destroyed.
Thoughts?

This happens to me too when using X but is not an issue with Wayland.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm ... I run Linux and Windows as a VM inside Parallels Desktop on Mac.
I sincerely hope you are recaptured soon, and that we can be
cell-mates for a while. I will of course appeal for your
early release, once my studies are complete.
I only snore on Tuesdays.

glokraw wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 am
tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm ... I run Linux and Windows as a VM inside Parallels Desktop on Mac.
I sincerely hope you are recaptured soon, and that we can be
cell-mates for a while. I will of course appeal for your
early release, once my studies are complete.
I only snore on Tuesdays.
They'll never catch me again, I'm freeeeeee.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

knock knock knock... :scared:

mevla wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 pm I'll email Bitwig about this.
I think I posted that elsewhere, but since then Bitwig replied that they did all testing required and haven't noticed any problems. So much for that.

I haven't upgraded to 3.x and will need some convincing (or just time and versions going by ...) before doing so. Breaking a good-running setup is not in my current plans at all.

Cheers.

Return to “u-he Linux support”