The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am If you're running a huge studio/production house or educational institution, I suppose it's the same thing.
It's just that these all closed down a decade ago. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Klinke wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am Second: Of course I have something when the subscription ends. I have had a lot of fun making music with the plugins, and likely I have created some song using the plugins. And I had gather experience which plugins I REALLY use and want to use again, I for those I plan to buy them when they are going to sale. In the past I have bought a lot of plugins I thought that I really use them, and then never did this, I'm pretty sure the I have paid in average more then 180$ per year for those.
Exactly. :tu:
More BPM please

Caine123 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:50 am neutral asking questions which show and proof their lies.
You really need to rethink your understanding of ‘neutral’.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:15 am
robotmonkey wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:02 am So what's going on? Haven't had time to pay much attention to music stuff lately.
Plugin Alliance is aliasing terribly :borg:
The subscription needs oversampling, hopefully they update it.

ignore this (double post instead of editing)

I wonder how the subscription fee is shared out. 100 plus plugins, 150 a year (with public domain code) so do the devs get a buck and a half per year per plug, or is it based on the cost of the plugs? Strikes me they are gong to need a lot of subscribers if the devs are going to make anything from this as it’s split twenty plus ways, unlike say Roland who get it all.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Klinke wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:26 pm double post instead of editing
nope ;-)

Edit: oh, I just realized you really edited your post from three hours ago on the previous page. :help:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

SLiC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:45 pm I wonder how the subscription fee is shared out. 100 plus plugins, 150 a year (with public domain code) so do the devs get a buck and a half per year per plug, or is it based on the cost of the plugs? Strikes me they are gong to need a lot of subscribers if the devs are going to make anything from this as it’s split twenty plus ways, unlike say Roland who get it all.
I'm like Jon Snow and know nothing, but if the subscription model is a success a few bucks per subscriber may be a nice monthly raise.
Nonetheless I'm sure, that the developing companies were asled upfront and made their deals with PA.

SLiC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:45 pm I wonder how the subscription fee is shared out. 100 plus plugins, 150 a year (with public domain code) so do the devs get a buck and a half per year per plug, or is it based on the cost of the plugs? Strikes me they are gong to need a lot of subscribers if the devs are going to make anything from this as it’s split twenty plus ways, unlike say Roland who get it all.
I’ve read that Dirk claims 30,000 customers. And 30 employees.

If he can retain 1/3 of those on to the sub, that’s 1.5 mill a year @ $150 a sub. If he pays 30 employees, on average each employee makes about 50k.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am I work in IT, and subscriptions to stuff like Office 365 and Adobe are absolutely fantastic for us. We don't have to spend hours managing, planning, auditing and budgeting for licenses (as well as paid updates, support plans etc.).
First, I agree that in some cases subscriptions make sense. For instance with PA, assuming the licenses work the same as purchased plugins, a small studio that has 2 workstations can buy one license and have the entire catalog of plugins at the entire studio for anyone using those workstations. That's a good deal.

But to say that Adobe's subscription is "absolutely fantastic" is lazy and downright dangerous. It's only better if you don't care to waste company resources if it makes your job a little easier. From the management aspect, I was around before the subscription and we managed just fine. Managing 30 creative workstations wasn't much harder than managing the subscriptions now, it just takes a couple of hours to put together a spreadsheet to log what you have and do a head count of who needs what, just like you have to do now. Then every couple years you pay an upgrade fee for the licenses still in use and upgrade the software next time the computer is up for a maintenance round. Pretty simple.

From the cost perspective you are getting fleeced to receive an "up to date" buggy product. It's at least 50% more expensive if not several times more expensive in many cases. That argument "budgeting is easier now" is just nonsense. I'll charge you $1000/year to manage your Netflix subscription for you, then you'll never have to worry about "handling" your Netflix license and software. PM to hire me for this service, easiest budgeting you'll ever do.

Long-term, the subscription model has severely reduced the quality and innovation of Adobe products. Buggy, cumbersome and slim on new features, all Adobe software is aging poorly and we are now seeing an industry turn. In 5 years Adobe will be dethroned in various areas BECAUSE of the subscription. Premiere goes first, it has no more than 3 years left at the top at the current pace.

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 pm I’ve read that Dirk claims 30,000 customers. And 30 employees.

If he can retain 1/3 of those on to the sub, that’s 1.5 mill a year @ $150 a sub. If he pays 30 employees, on average each employee makes about 50k.
That's not how business works. The cost of an employee is a lot more than their salary. It's office space, workstations, electricity and other services, insurances, taxes, benefits mandated by the law, etc. A worker can cost a business 3 times as much as their salary.

In short, in your scenario, PA has to fire 20 people to survive at $50k salary. Also worth of note, software engineers don't average $50k salary, it can be quite a bit more. Glassdoor puts the starting salary at $71k, with an average of $103k.

jochicago wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 pm I’ve read that Dirk claims 30,000 customers. And 30 employees.

That's not how business works. The cost of an employee is a lot more than their salary. It's office space, workstations, electricity and other services, insurances, taxes, benefits mandated by the law, etc. A worker can cost a business 3 times as much as their salary.
Dubious. From direct experience employee overhead is in the 20-40% range over-and above salary. However it's typically a fixed cost per person, not so much a function of salary (eg. the over-head of a $250k employee is not 10x that of a $25k employee). A company that has 300% overhead per employee is a company that isn't going to exist very long. But I get your point. Look at 20-40% overhead as typical metric.

jochicago wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 pm

In short, in your scenario, PA has to fire 20 people to survive at $50k salary. Also worth of note, software engineers don't average $50k salary, it can be quite a bit more. Glassdoor puts the starting salary at $71k, with an average of $103k.
You're right! And since companies like to count each and every customer, some of them have maybe bought one 9$ pedal fx or bought their last item ages ago.
This is just wild guessing.

they could learn so much from waves... :hihi: :hihi:

plexuss wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm Dubious. From direct experience employee overhead is in the 20-40% range over-and above salary.
When you count management (HR), taxes, benefits, plus all the costs of office space and supplies, you'll cross the 2x line in every scenario. You can only stay at 30-40% if you are only focusing on salary-related costs, not business-running costs.

However, the point at hand was starting from total revenue down to salaries. We can't just divide the money generated in subscription sales straight down to salaries. The business has to pay for marketing/promo costs, executive bonuses, all the way down to computers, software, electricity, pens and notepads.

But I think we got the point across to look beyond just salary. In any event, if PA is responsible for 30 employees plus a CEO that likes to race sports cars, then it needs to make a whole lot more money than $1.5mill /year.

Return to “Effects”