Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

In a recent poll in the Bitwig forum, very few people said they were using it for performance.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm In a recent poll in the Bitwig forum, very few people said they were using it for performance.
Pardon my more generalized rant here, but considering I still remember the early emails about Bitwig before they really fully let us know what they were developing. From what I recall it was initially advertised as a new instrument for performance in these initial emails, so it's relevant I think.

All of the DAWs for performance fall short.
quickly I would consider Live, Bitwig, Digital Performer and MainStage as performance oriented DAWs or apps. None of them offer a full solution, notably none of them offer a solution for a performer playing an instrument, and wanting to quickly rearrange a set if that's needed. DP comes the closest, but it's Clips implementation is still in it's infancy, and it's complicated.

Live started on the track, as an audio DJ tool, then when it added VSTi's it lost it, switching between VSTi in a live set is a PITA, this would apply to Bitwig as well. Setting up backing tracks for an hour long set is messy in both of them as well. MainStage is the same or worse, I've never felt comfortable with it's interface, just not an ergonomic application at all.

Bitwig is mostly there, but just like Live with M4L, they go from great UX to 'you roll your own controller scrips OK cool!" DP10 is so unsupported by controllers it's Mackie, HUI or nothing... :dog:

There are a lot of options for live performance, but I still feel like everyone, all of them, miss the mark. In a crowded field there's still this elephant in the room.

Caine123 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:13 pm If they make fl studios piano roll obsolete then yes this is my go to but sadly still a clunky piano roll
and we're not alone viewtopic.php?f=259&t=499400&hilit=poll

BWS guys gonna take a vacation so maybe from the next point releases fingers crossed
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm In a recent poll in the Bitwig forum, very few people said they were using it for performance.
No wonder really, it's just small percentage of usual KVR crowd, which mostly consists of hobbyists and plugin hoarders.

xbitz wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Caine123 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:13 pm If they make fl studios piano roll obsolete then yes this is my go to but sadly still a clunky piano roll

BWS guys gonna take a vacation so maybe from the next point releases fingers crossed
Man i hope so. I still struggle with fl studio and its shit stability! And it is shit cause every new version brings new probs and they never can find the error how so if you cannot open fl broken projects....

Bitwig so far gives you still the option to load a faulty priject and find out the problematic plugin!

Man just add fl studios piano roll i it and it will f%ck all away. I hate these pre-2000 looking and behaving piano rolls.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Why? What's the problem with the piano roll?

Edit:
Oh ok! I've just checked the link posted. Maybe the advanced tools and Groove quantize function. Nice to have, but not that necessary for me as I just record what I play and edit later. Most of the times I like to play it several times and then chop the piece that I like more (I don't like combo way).

Caine123 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Man i hope so. I still struggle with fl studio and its shit stability! And it is shit cause every new version brings new probs and they never can find the error how so if you cannot open fl broken projects....
Nonsense and speak for yourself. FL studio is quite stable for me in my barely modest windows 10 laptop 64bit, i7. and is my go-to daw all time, the same for thousands if not millions of users.

Maybe you just have a faulty configuration on your system or some other issues.

I had to because your "In general" way to say things that simply are not true and your wrong way to say/express things.

the 3rd party flexi script for bitwig beats anything else i’ve ever used... so long as you’ve got infinite rotaries or flying faders... really remarkable what can be done. it took controller integration from my main point of frustration to one of the best things about BW.

Noumena wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm the 3rd party flexi script for bitwig beats anything else i’ve ever used... so long as you’ve got infinite rotaries or flying faders... really remarkable what can be done. it took controller integration from my main point of frustration to one of the best things about BW.
If you're talking Möss and his work I completely agree, it's his work with Reaper and Push 2 that has me reevaluating Bitwig. The Reaper script is fantastic.

JunSev wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 pm
Caine123 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Nonsense and speak for yourself. FL studio is quite stable for me in my barely modest windows 10 laptop 64bit, i7. and is my go-to daw all time, the same for thousands if not millions of users.

Maybe you just have a faulty configuration on your system or some other issues.

I had to because your "In general" way to say things that simply are not true and your wrong way to say/express things.
Yeah someone ,you, has no probs so no one got probs love such kids behaviour. Go to image lines tech probs forums and see yourself. Also check how many known plugins need manual adjustments with buffer sizes etc. And how many 3rd party plugins do you use? Oh also my old 2 setups of win7 had probs with to studio. The most stable version is still fl11 since then they changed a lot in the code afail and you can read how many people got probs. But I guess cause youuuuuu have no probs I'm just stupid and imagining only. Lol
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Yeah someone ,you, has no probs so no one got probs love such kids behaviour
I never said no one had or have no problems never in FL Studio, are you trying to exaggerate facts to support a point? yeah how smart you are. By the way I would prefer to be a wise "kid" than a blind ignorant "adult". With all respect.

Go to image lines tech probs forums and see yourself. Also check how many known plugins need manual adjustments with buffer sizes etc
And so what? that doesn't prove or means that FL Studio is unstable for everyone, and is of course something to expect to have a lot of people reporting bugs and other issues, Every Daw has issues too. In addition what can you expect if it is one of the most used Daws in history? (yeah maybe you may hate that).
And how many 3rd party plugins do you use? Oh also my old 2 setups of win7 had probs with to studio
Oh ok, and I'm a kid right? so you think that if you have all plug-ins available and you jump on all releases that makes you the most adequate person to talk about stability "Look me... I'm a plug-in collector, I have many plug-ins, I jump in all the hypes"...

And also with thousands of plug-ins and thousands of bugs here and there coming with it that almost if not always will be there, why would you blame FLS for bugs or stability saying that is sh*t? everything is not fault of the Daw.
The most stable version is still fl11 since then they changed a lot in the code afail and you can read how many people got probs.
Continue in your imaginary mind and get stock in version 11 if that is what you think, I'm in version 20.5 and everything runs pretty good. Again talking nonsense.

You seems like one of those persons that thinks that knows everything and in reality are wrong, the problem with many "MR. Experts" in kvr. But please continue talking nonsense (adult?).

Ah the good old Junsev ,
Don't even dare to criticize his beloved plugs
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:59 am Ah the good old Junsev ,
Don't even dare to criticize his beloved plugs
No really, you already know me, criticism is freedom of expression and I always respect that, what I don't like is nonsensical arguments and baseless exaggerated wrong opinions.

One question (as I'm to lazy to download the demo and look into it myself ;-) ):
Can I access with the Grid also Bitwig Parameters like the Volume/Mutes/Sends of the Mixer, Parameters of other Plugins etc.? Or is this more like an isolated modular synth/fx?

^^^ they can see/reach only their own pockets so some device or device container(instrument/fx etc.) has to be dropped into it which elements will be part of the mixer/track
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 12.13.15.png
so the modulator out of the grid device can reach/set every bluish control on the picture but it has to be the top element of the particular device tree (the right top device on the picture is the/a Modulator Out)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”