REASON 11 - Round the corner?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would be very happy to see midi out for vst/vsti.

loungepanda wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:35 am
EnochLight wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 pm Virtually all of Sweden is on vacation during the summer. I seriously doubt 11 is "around the corner".
August is just around the corner. I'll bet we'll see an announcement next month and release in september.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

topaz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am I’d be happy if reason didn’t create loads of id8s when dragging in midi files.

:dog:
I thought they fixed that.

starflakeprj wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 am You can't tell much by looking at the list below either (from Wikipedia), but I think that we will see a 10.5 before 11 is coming out, otherwise I think they would have called 10.4, 10.5 instead, but that's just my theory. So I think 10.5 will be released between September and December this year, followed by a version 11 next spring, or even autumn.

Reason 5 Aug-10
Reason 6 Sep-11
Reason 6.5 Mar-12
Reason 7 Apr-13
Reason 8 Sep-14
Reason 9 Jun-16
Reason 10 Sep-17
Reason 10.1 May-18
Reason 10.2 Sep-18
Reason 10.3 Apr-19
Reason 10.4 May-19
Reason 10 will have been out for 2 years this September. If they keep extending it further into 2020, then it will be the longest major version release cycle in the company’s history. That seems very unlikely to me and I fully expect a Reason 11 announcement this fall.

You know, it doesn't feel that way to me. I have no idea why that is but I'm surprised by how time fly's sometimes.

Reason 4 to Reason 5 seemed like a really long time.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:06 pm You know, it doesn't feel that way to me. I have no idea why that is but I'm surprised by how time fly's sometimes.
I can hardly believe it myself. These past 5 years in particular felt like a blur.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:19 pm
topaz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am I’d be happy if reason didn’t create loads of id8s when dragging in midi files.

:dog:
I thought they fixed that.
It no longer creates an ID8 when you drag a midi file onto an existing track, It still creates ID8's if you drag a general MIDI file into the sequencer without tracks already present. Most DAW's do something of the sort though, to try to match the sounds assigned to the general MIDI file.

It really needs to be addressed.

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm It really needs to be addressed.
How though? If I'm dragging a MIDI file onto a blank track, I rather like being able to get an instant audition in an ID8.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:46 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm It really needs to be addressed.
How though? If I'm dragging a MIDI file onto a blank track, I rather like being able to get an instant audition in an ID8.
I can see your point, but there should be an option for w/o.

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:16 pm I can see your point, but there should be an option for w/o.
Gotcha. Yeah, that would be nice. It's just that in Reason's sequencer, there's no way to have an orphan MIDI track exist without it being assigned to a device of some sort, to my knowledge (hence the auto-ID8 thing).

They need to do a DRAMATIC reworking of the whole product. That sequencer is SO... clunky and primitive.

Also, like others have said, make the rack a VST. Using Reason instruments in other DAW's is such a pain via Rewire.

Carpenter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:06 am They need to do a DRAMATIC reworking of the whole product. That sequencer is SO... clunky and primitive.

Also, like others have said, make the rack a VST. Using Reason instruments in other DAW's is such a pain via Rewire.
I more or less agree with this sentiment. I think Reason is still a great "playground" for sound design and experimentation and the basic modular system is still great fun and works well, even 20 years down the line, but unfortunately the sequencer is excruciating.

It seems evident that there are plenty of users who still hold a lot of love for Reason but probably have another DAW that they use on a regular basis because of a more modern sequencer and mixing workflow. If they made it possible to use the rack as VST then we'd all get to use that fun modular stuff and stick with whatever DAW we already know and love.

From a commercial point of view, I can't see any huge downside for Propellerheads. I don't think they would lose customers because those people interested in Reason as an everything-in-one-package system will still exist and the rest of us have the choice to use it as a modular VST, or even just use individual instruments we like. Truth be told, there are some cracking individual REs that I'd love to be able use elsewhere including a variety of synths and FX. Whatever your poison, it's just added value to the product without any immediately obvious downside - happy to be corrected if I've missed something!

The existence of FLStudio as a plugin (and I think there may be other examples) suggests that doing a VST wrapper shouldn't be an impossible task. I reserve further judgement because I'm a software developer myself and I know these things are never as easy as they first appear!

Carpenter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:06 am make the rack a VST.
Done! It's in Reason 11. I asked them to do this years ago and I've had it since version 1. I'm not to keen on there now being a Reason Suite that's an $249 upgrade from Reason 10.
Ubuntu 24.04 (beta)- Liquorix Kernel (latency 1.15ms) - Pipewire & Wireplumber - bitwig - yabridge (dune, spire, pigments, valhalla)- CLAP - Vital - U-He - TAL - OSIRUS - Surge XT - discoDSP - Audio Damage
KORG Native for Linux please.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”