Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-FET

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
BlackRooster
KVRist
114 posts since 24 Sep, 2015 from Wuppertal, Germany

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:15 am

Liero wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 pm
For me VLA-FAT _was_ competing with all the other 1176's out there, and it won :D
I might be different than others in that I don't want to have eight different types of FET compression at hand, I just want one really good one to rely on without strings attached (like subscriptions, weird copy protections etc.). For me, this is it!

Slightly slower release doesn't bother me at all, it's not even that slow.
The attack snap is perhaps the best out there, only Slate comes close imo.
It also works on just about anything, which is where a lot of other plugins, like the new Arturia one, fails.

So great job BRA!
Thanks a lot!
Black Rooster Audio
https://blackroosteraudio.com
Wuppertal, Germany

bmanic
KVRAF
8463 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Re: Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-FET

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:42 am

This is the only FET plugin out there that keeps the integrity of the original signal just like our hardware does (which is a custom built clone based on the schematics originally created by Gyraf Audio on one of those DIY forums).

Even when smacking it stupidly hard, the signal doesn't become "plugin grainy"/"smaller" which is something almost all the other FET compressors fail with (haven't tried the latest UAD versions though). So yeah, this thing is the dogs bollocks! An extremely fine plugin indeed!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

dickiefunk
KVRAF
2546 posts since 22 Mar, 2006 from cornwall

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am

bmanic wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:42 am
This is the only FET plugin out there that keeps the integrity of the original signal just like our hardware does (which is a custom built clone based on the schematics originally created by Gyraf Audio on one of those DIY forums).

Even when smacking it stupidly hard, the signal doesn't become "plugin grainy"/"smaller" which is something almost all the other FET compressors fail with (haven't tried the latest UAD versions though). So yeah, this thing is the dogs bollocks! An extremely fine plugin indeed!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. Downloading the demo to try now :tu:

Out of curiosity, what is the best LA-2A vst emulation you've tried?

db3
KVRAF
2164 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 am

Can't make my mind up on VLA-FET...any way to reset demo?

Liero
KVRian
1030 posts since 6 Mar, 2004

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:03 am

dickiefunk wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am
bmanic wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. Downloading the demo to try now :tu:

Out of curiosity, what is the best LA-2A vst emulation you've tried?
Can't speak for bmanic, but the Black Rooster LA-2A is my pick out of all the contestants as well. I don't know if it's the component modeling or something else, but these just stand out among algorithmic plugins in terms of overall quality. I'm getting a minimal amount of "stuffiness" with BRA and Fuse compressors, that I usually encounter with digital compressors. No idea why, really.

Lesha
KVRian
1439 posts since 18 Feb, 2005 from Serbia

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:23 am

VLA-2A is my go to for spoken word. I was also using Fuse VCL-373 for the same task.
It's easy if you know how

sleepcircle
KVRian
680 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Liero wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:03 am
Can't speak for bmanic, but the Black Rooster LA-2A is my pick out of all the contestants as well. I don't know if it's the component modeling or something else, but these just stand out among algorithmic plugins in terms of overall quality. I'm getting a minimal amount of "stuffiness" with BRA and Fuse compressors, that I usually encounter with digital compressors. No idea why, really.
That "stuffiness" you mentioned is the WORST; it's SO BAD; can't stand it. I haven't actually demo'd the LA-2A yet or anything, but I just—: I am VERY familiar with what you're talking about and it drives me batty. I can't use most waves plugins for that very reason. Nice to know this plugin doesn't have it.

KVrigf
KVRer
7 posts since 27 Nov, 2018

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 pm

Using this on parallel drum compression and it has taken the spot from Softube FET. The quality that it brings out, even when being completely smashed just sounds amazing.

mossie23
KVRist
34 posts since 3 Oct, 2005

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:00 am

sleepcircle wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:12 pm
Liero wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:03 am
That "stuffiness" you mentioned is the WORST; it's SO BAD; can't stand it. I haven't actually demo'd the LA-2A yet or anything, but I just—: I am VERY familiar with what you're talking about and it drives me batty. I can't use most waves plugins for that very reason. Nice to know this plugin doesn't have it.
Could you please elaborate? Why do you mean with 'stuffiness'? Does it have to do with transients, or is it something with the low mids feeling congested?

sleepcircle
KVRian
680 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:42 am

I can't say for CERTAIN that liero and I are talking about the same thing, but for ME it's this sort of sneezy, almost nasal quality, more in the high mids than anything else. it's not so much transients (although some of those plugins definitely handle them better than others)

BlackRooster
KVRist
114 posts since 24 Sep, 2015 from Wuppertal, Germany

Post Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:54 am

db3 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 am
Drop me a message: andre.kirchner @ blackroosteraudio.com
Black Rooster Audio
https://blackroosteraudio.com
Wuppertal, Germany

db3
KVRAF
2164 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Post Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:00 am

BlackRooster wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:54 am
db3 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 am
Drop me a message: andre.kirchner @ blackroosteraudio.com
Done..and bought :phones:

Return to “Effects”