have midi keyboard controllers improved?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the last midi controller i bought was at the end of last decade, which was an edirol slimline selected mainly because the small chassis reduced resonance from the mechanical key action. first time i took it thru an airport all teh keys died (except one).

has any manufacturer solved the "affordable controller that doesn't rattle like a suit of armor falling down a dungeon staircase when you release teh key" thing yet, without adding the "instantly breaks and can't be repaired" thing in there?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Roland a70 still solid

They've improved slower than they should tbh. They've gotten much more portable, but the key action on most just flat out sucks. The IRIG io 25 looks interesting though as a portable keyboard with full sized keys and even it's own audio interface.
Personally, I'd like to see Keith McMillen make a portable version of the new K Board Pro. Just drop it down to 25 keys/sensors and see if the frame can be made a bit smaller. I haven't had a chance to actually play it, but one was on display and not hooked up so I got a feel of it. Just feels like a nice drum pad surface.
In my opinion controllers like this that have a solid attack and don't rely on traditional mechanical moving keys are a better option for portable MIDI controllers. Keys need additional physical depth to get a good action and that adds size defeating the purpose of portable controllers.

ty, it looks like there's a bunch of stuf to check out like artesia. funny name :p
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

There are good ones, but they’re not that affordable. You’re better off finding a DX7 that’s in good shape. I found a GEM S2 that’s built like a tank and feels fantastic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Roli Seaboard, LinnStrument, Continuum. MPE is a new paradigm. Traditional keyboards are pretty boring, good for Piano sounds though...

I'm in the same boat - I've been using an old novation remote37 sl for years and I want to get an 88 key controller with a more piano-like feel. I'm looking at the arturia keylab 88 mkII and the included analog lab 4 software, and I thought I was sold (haven't played it yet, though) but I just took a tricot sam ash and played the roland juno ds88 whcih has a wonderful keyed (for me, and there I'm coming from). Are there any distinct disadvantages to the roland over the arturia - same price, the arturia comes with analog lab but the roland has it's own sounds. I can pick up analog lab and use it with the roland...

Keybed wise? No. I had a Roland A90 from the mid 90s at some point and no 88 key controller can touch it. Only my Kronos 88 has better keys than the Roland.
Integration wise is another story though. I really like my Komplete Kontrol 49 mk2 but as smart it is, things are more fiddlyand in certain situations, it's just easier using the mouse and monitor.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:05 am Roli Seaboard, LinnStrument, Continuum. MPE is a new paradigm. Traditional keyboards are pretty boring, good for Piano sounds though...
:tu: :)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Here's the thing.... save for the quality you want.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

himalaya wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:59 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:05 am Roli Seaboard, LinnStrument, Continuum. MPE is a new paradigm. Traditional keyboards are pretty boring, good for Piano sounds though...
:tu: :)
Yeah, I’d love to have those, but those also aren't keyboards. MPE is a market of its own. And expensive.

Keyboards have gotten cheaper in general. That usually means they’ve gotten worse in multiple ways, as is typical with “economy of scale price reduction”.

The newest keyboard I own is an M-Audio (never again) Oxygen 25 and it’s bulky for being a portable... and it’s junk. It tends to spontaneously disconnect or crash itself, too. No MIDI ports. No aftertouch.

Next oldest one to that, I have a Korg Kontrol49. Not bad. Lots of controls. No aftertouch. Not great either, but doesn’t rattle.

I also have a Korg nanokey... ha ha ha

My preferred keyboards are my 88-key Alesis Fusion and QS8. Though they don’t rattle, I wouldn’t call them quiet. They thump a lot. Enough to annoy someone trying to sleep in the next room or downstairs.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”