Soundtheory GULLFOSS computional auditory perception EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gullfoss

This thing is definitely a secret weapon in the hands of someone that knows exactly how to use it. It's almost too good to be true. Essentially, I see two ways in using this. One way, it right on the 2-buss or master before the limiter. The other, is adding instances of Gullfoss with light settings on every stem, cutting out the dark parts. In this second case, you'd still probably want to stick one last instance of Gullfoss on the 2-buss or master just to "catch" anything sticking out.

As you can see...in the right hands, this is actually like a secret weapon. Again...going back to my original comment...definitely an essential tool for EDM and Ambient music. Like...super essential.
Last edited by Mathematics on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:20 am So, Gullfoss is dynamically trying to make the signal reference pink noise. It has a limit though...it will only do a 9db gain and an 8db attenuation at most. Hmm...they have to fix the issue where the mouse pointer covers the frequency when you click in the spectrum window above the 0db line and to the left of 640Hz.
huh... that seems pretty reductionist, if correct, why, it's not magic at all!

Anyone knows other plugins that do this? When they switch to iLok i'll need an alternative

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:48 am The other, is adding instances of Gullfoss with light settings on every stem, cutting out the dark parts. I
I will have to try this out... I admit am skeptical. I will give it a shot but perhaps you could share some general starting points. I've bee using it bring out some details in some group busses . IN that application I use it without having to EQ all the contributing tracks and it works better than dialing in an EQ on the bus. I am probably only touching the surface of what it can do.

maybe it is just imagination but i got some mixes where i put it on my master and set it to around 20 - 30 % and it doesnt do much and shows me my mix seems nice mixed but still gullfoss gives a bit light enhancements. for standard mixing channels/parts i like smarteq2 a lot.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

.definitely an essential tool for EDM and Ambient music.
I think it works great for *any* kind of music that has "stuff" going on in the midranges. :wink:

It just cleans things up nicely and helps everything have it's own "space" - and it's dynamic, so will change for different sections etc :wink:
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:20 am So, Gullfoss is dynamically trying to make the signal reference pink noise.
Yep, I did the test when it was released for Windows and I was very disappointed, because I thought it will do some "real magic" lol... so didn´t buy it.

sonicpowa wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am
Mathematics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:20 am So, Gullfoss is dynamically trying to make the signal reference pink noise.
Yep, I did the test when it was released for Windows and I was very disappointed, because I thought it will do some "real magic" lol... so didn´t buy it.
do you know any plug that does that similarly?

Ploki wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:15 am
sonicpowa wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am
do you know any plug that does that similarly?
iZotope Neutron 3
Zynaptiq Unfilter
Sonible Smart EQ
TDR Nova GE

Ploki wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:15 amdo you know any plug that does that similarly?
To add martinjuenke´s list:

Kilohearts Carve EQ
IK Match EQ
Ozone EQ
Fabfilter EQ

I haven´t tested these, I just presume it´ll work with sidechaining pink noise (or other ways) to them and use match eq.
Edit: Note - all these probably use static curves, which I personally prefer, i didn´t like Gullfoss constantly bumping low and high end.
Last edited by sonicpowa on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonicpowa wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:03 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:15 amdo you know any plug that does that similarly?

Kilohearts Carve EQ
IK Match EQ
Ozone EQ
Fabfilter EQ

I haven´t tested these, I just presume it´ll work with sidechaining pink noise (or other ways) to them and use match eq.
Edit: I prefer static curves, i didn´t like Gullfoss constantly bumping low and high end.
1. Gullfoss is constantly dynamic not static
2. U can exclude upper and lower frequencies
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Kilohearts Carve EQ
IK Match EQ
Ozone EQ
Fabfilter EQ

Edit: I prefer static curves, i didn´t like Gullfoss constantly bumping low and high end.
These are or can be dynamic too:
iZotope Neutron 3
Zynaptiq Unfilter
Sonible Smart EQ
TDR Nova GE

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:17 pm
Caine123 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Kilohearts Carve EQ
IK Match EQ
Ozone EQ
Fabfilter EQ

sorry martin i quoted you cause of the poster after you.

These are or can be dynamic too:
iZotope Neutron 3
Zynaptiq Unfilter
Sonible Smart EQ
TDR Nova GE

No problem :hug:

Caine123 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:06 pm1. Gullfoss is constantly dynamic not static
Yes it´s dynamic, I was just offering options. Dynamic isn´t always best choice. And you can exlude upper/lower freqs with pink noise, altough not as elegantly.

sonicpowa wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:59 pm
Caine123 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:06 pm1. Gullfoss is constantly dynamic not static
Yes it´s dynamic, I was just offering options. Dynamic isn´t always best choice. And you can exlude upper/lower freqs with pink noise, altough not as elegantly.
tbh i really like it for knocking out resonances on raw recording and it track's pitch pretty well in that regard. I know Neutron3 has pitch tracking, but i found it less effective than gullfoss in that manner.

Others are dynamic but don't really track.
Unfilter is also Pace so f**k that off.
Sonible didn't really sound good.
there's also oeksound Soothe, but it's also Pace so f**k that off as well.

ugh.

Return to “Effects”