Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 am
DjRubble wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 pm
pekadan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 pm It’s the last couple of days before the intro price of Soundtheory Gullfoss (Windows version) ends. I’m on the fence myself. Don’t know whether to jump off or slowly climb down again... Any suggestions?
all you can ask your self is what does it add to your sound, and is that addition worth the jump off
After having messed with Gullfoss for a few mixes. It definitely is on a whole other level than Soothe but more effective in mastering. They need to push this as a mastering plugin.

Some people claim it's a lot like Soothe. Hmm, in some rare cases, I guess I can agree because it can tame harshness but it also shapes the sound after it does its spectral transform. If it can do what Soothe does to within a degree, then it's worth noting that Soothe is completely outperformed by MSpectralDynamics in nearly every direction except one...simplicity. That's actually why I'm looking for it right now. MSD has a short and steep short learning curve. I'm not getting into that debate now.

Since I have MSD and have used Sooth, Gulfoss does do something quite unique that MSD or Soothe doesn't do, and that's dynamic spectral gain control, or whatever you call it, of the incoming signal. In fact, it does to a whole mix what Soothe does to a single band.

It seems to boost and attenuate the spectrum so that the overall apparent loudness consists of a weighted value distribution of the frequency bands. For instance, you want to make an instrument louder? Gulfoss will let you raise the apparent loudness of the the frequencies that make up the sound but weighted toward lower, middle, or upper band frequencies. Think if it like a F-M curve algorithm-based Tilt EQ (so it seems..almost seems like a smiley face in some cases). So, you can add body or clarity without actually raising any volume...just shift the gain slider up or down.

I'm actually finding purpose for it as we speak. It's like a Swiss Army knife for smooth spectral shaping. Definitely a time saver.
:love: Wow, thank you! This is fantastic info!

Sorry that I updated the above quote but I simplified it down to a few sentences. Like...I really got down to the essentials.

I quite myself:

After having messed with Gullfoss for a few mixes. It definitely is on a whole other level than Soothe but more effective in mastering. They need to push this as a mastering plugin.

Soothe and MSD attenuate peaks if you tell it where the harsh areas are while Gullfoss basically attenuates with pink noise as a reference internally, so it seems. So, you would get Gullfoss for mastering then get Soothe or MSD for individual tracks.

Definitely a time saver for EDM guys. This begs the question...what about parts of the song you don't want attenuated to a pink noise curve. I guess you'd have to automate it or your mix should be near perfectly mastered already. Hmmm. Now thinking about it. Gullfoss is a good idea but for it to be really effective, you'd have to start with a good mastered mix already to take advantage of the effect transparently.

This is not really gossip. I think we should continue this conversation in Effects. I bumped a Gullfoss thread in effects. This plugin now has me asking questions.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 am Soothe and MSD attenuate peaks if you tell it where the harsh areas are while Gullfoss basically attenuates with pink noise as a reference internally, so it seems. So, you would get Gullfoss for mastering then get Soothe or MSD for individual tracks.
Is it different than using a matching EQ with pink noise as the reference?

Technically yes, because Gullfoss appears to behave like a dynamic matching EQ using, I think, percentages for gain and attenuation. It's doing a lot more though. See my tests here:

viewtopic.php?p=7470057#p7470057
Last edited by Mathematics on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As you can see...the gain and attenuation is limited to 9db and 8db respectively. I don't know where they got those numbers from but essentially, this works well if you already know how to mix to within an 8db target. This is why people claim it works better in somewhat, decently mastered mixes.

It was so much easier when Gullfoss was Mac only. Not an option. Now another I need to think about getting. And it may do nothing, since my tracks are in no way almost perfect. Sigh. :borg:

But it is magic! I like magic! :love: :help:

DjRubble wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 pm
pekadan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 pm It’s the last couple of days before the intro price of Soundtheory Gullfoss (Windows version) ends. I’m on the fence myself. Don’t know whether to jump off or slowly climb down again... Any suggestions?
all you can ask your self is what does it add to your sound, and is that addition worth the jump off
I can tell you what I did: I bought into the windows beta based on their timeline of a release by easter 2019. when that passed, and the next self-imposed deadline passed, I asked for a refund. I got the refund. Too many missed milestones. I will wait for it to come up 2nd hand in the future. No rush. I have many of its competitors and can work with those fine. I will buy into Gullfoss in the future and save some money.

dzilizzi wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:52 pm It was so much easier when Gullfoss was Mac only. Not an option. Now another I need to think about getting. And it may do nothing, since my tracks are in no way almost perfect. Sigh. :borg:

It's great at automatically resolving masking issues in far from perfect mixes too.

Even with MSpectraldynamics, Neutron 2, and SPL Vitalizer etc., separating the primary ranges of various instruments, and extensive use of stereo panning, masking issues among more than two simultaneous tracks were driving me crazy. Now with Gullfoss they're not an issue.

Ou_Tis wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:11 pm
dzilizzi wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:52 pm It was so much easier when Gullfoss was Mac only. Not an option. Now another I need to think about getting. And it may do nothing, since my tracks are in no way almost perfect. Sigh. :borg:

It's great at automatically resolving masking issues in far from perfect mixes too.

Even with MSpectraldynamics, Neutron 2, and SPL Vitalizer etc. and extensive use of stereo panning, masking issues among more than 2 simultaneous tracks were driving me crazy. Now with Gullfoss they're not an issue.
Thanks! This is good to know. I missed Soothe on the last sale, and I know they are kind of similar.

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:06 am Technically yes, because Gullfoss is like a dynamic matching EQ using, I think, percentages for gain and attenuation. See my tests here:

viewtopic.php?p=7470057#p7470057
That’s great! In that case, I’m guessing using the Gulfoss’d white noise as the target in a matching EQ might provide good results.

btw, that high-end boost looks very similar to a boost that’s built-in to a lot of Universal Audio plugins.

Nevermind seem to be all gone now 8)

How could it go from 100 uses to 1000 and now it's doesn't work???

Digivolt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:50 pm Nevermind seem to be all gone now 8)
not working confirmed :(

frackermak wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 pm
Use a cell phone. It worked for me just 2 minutes ago (12:20pm Pacific time)
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:24 pm
frackermak wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 pm
Use a cell phone. It worked for me just 2 minutes ago (12:20pm Pacific time)

Anybody care to elaborate on what's being discussed?

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”