IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

liqih wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:55 pm Thanks for the video link. What I would expect from "il nuovo balzo in avanti della modellazione fisica: MODO DRUM" would be at least the ability to variate (more or less automatically) the stroke position, which is one of that main features of a real drum kit being played live.
What I hear in the video above are variations of tone (body), or open/close HiHat continuous variation, but no variations about where the drumsticks hit the instruments. Well, if the instruments are indeed physically modeled, it should be possible to that.
As I said I can just speak for what I can hear in the recorded demos.
We have mentioned and MODO DRUM definitely has stick/beater placement control (and have mentioned that it also supports x/y placement control on drum brains that have this feature).

You can also see this feature in our videos, like this one: https://youtu.be/WaYD4497aWA

emasters wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 pm
tq wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 am Nope, no custom location for samples.
Bummer - bought it with pre-order but won't be able to install given limited SSD space available. How can it be that a product can't custom locate a large sample set?
No biggy, just create a junction on your ssd to a folder on your hdd (on Windows using mklink, just google it), should work fine.

Is there a demo? Don´t seem to be able to find one on IK's product page

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm
liqih wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:55 pm What I hear in the video above are variations of tone (body), or open/close HiHat continuous variation, but no variations about where the drumsticks hit the instruments. Well, if the instruments are indeed physically modeled, it should be possible to that.
As I said I can just speak for what I can hear in the recorded demos.
We have mentioned and MODO DRUM definitely has stick/beater placement control (and have mentioned that it also supports x/y placement control on drum brains that have this feature).
I see, that's good, at least on snare and toms. Cymbals are always the weakest point is modeled/sampled drum kits.

So I bought this and have been playing around with it. I like it a lot, so far. Couple minor feature requests:
1) Please make it possible to select multiple channels in the mixer when selecting outputs. It makes it a lot easier to route to the DAW.
2) Please either make some totally unprocessed version of each kit, or some way to universally bypass the effects.
Both of these suggestions would make routing to the DAW to use your own effects for processing much easier.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

So you can’t just use dry sounds of the kit?

Examigan wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 pm So you can’t just use dry sounds of the kit?
All effects can be bypassed, you can.

Examigan wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 pm So you can’t just use dry sounds of the kit?
You can, you just have to manually deactivate them all. Just looking for a quicker way.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

b15fliptop wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:35 pm
You can, you just have to manually deactivate them all. Just looking for a quicker way.
I've sent this request to the team. Note that the FX sends can be muted by clicking the FX button in the mixer, then muting each of the two main FX sends. Most kits have minimal effects on the elements themselves, but yes those would need to be disabled if you aren't going to use them.

At this time, you do have the ability to save presets so you could disable those for a kit then save as a preset and have fast access to those versions of the kits.

paterpeter wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:04 pm
emasters wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 pm
tq wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 am Nope, no custom location for samples.
Bummer - bought it with pre-order but won't be able to install given limited SSD space available. How can it be that a product can't custom locate a large sample set?
No biggy, just create a junction on your ssd to a folder on your hdd (on Windows using mklink, just google it), should work fine.
Great - thx :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 pm
I've sent this request to the team. Note that the FX sends can be muted by clicking the FX button in the mixer, then muting each of the two main FX sends. Most kits have minimal effects on the elements themselves, but yes those would need to be disabled if you aren't going to use them.

At this time, you do have the ability to save presets so you could disable those for a kit then save as a preset and have fast access to those versions of the kits.
Thanks for the info Peter. :)

Examigan wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Thanks for the info Peter. :)
No problem. I know the process well as it was the first thing I did with the final version of MODO DRUM as I wanted to hear the drums as if I had a track ready to mix.

We saw this video just posted about MODO DRUM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPWcn8rzEUw

I think they like it, using terms like mindblowing, genius, insane, staggeringly good, outrageous, bloody amazing, just ridiculous, and "IK Multimedia has done it again" :D

The discussion about the installer was a little misleading for me. In fact, you can install the entire MODO Drum program in any location - doesn't have to be on your system disk at all.

egbert wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:18 pm The discussion about the installer was a little misleading for me. In fact, you can install the entire MODO Drum program in any location - doesn't have to be on your system disk at all.
Sorry I should have thought of explaining that option when those posts were made. I had checked that we have received requests to move the sample portion to a custom location (which we do definitely have logged), but will also recommend the whole program can go on any drive. Thanks for that. Just make sure you choose the plugin locations that match how you've got them on your system. On that last note, I recently gave up on custom plugin locations (not just for our plugins but all plugins) because some DAWs just don't like them. Even my beloved Cubase is quite rigid about VST3 plugin location

Return to “Instruments”