Hosting AU tempo sync

Official support for: ju-x.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Ju-X, I'm very much enjoying using Hosting AU as a lightweight plugin host on my vintage Core 2 Duo MacBook (OS X 10.11.6). The tempo slider syncs perfectly with some plugins (e.g. u-he Podolski) but it has no effect on UJAM Virtual Drummer PHAT (available for free from Avid until the end of today). Can you look into this by any chance? Many thanks for a great piece of software!

Hi, thank you for the report! Recreated the issue here, and sent email to ujam with some questions now.

Thanks for the reply and update. Hopefully it's an easy fix!

Received replies from ujam, including a great hint, now I've resolved the issue + updated Hosting AU to v1.5.1! It's available at: http://ju-x.com/

The tempo slider is working for me now. Thank you very much!

In my tests, I'm experiencing a little drift in timing (after a period of several minutes) between VD-PHAT and u-he Podolski's arpeggiator. I'm not sure of the cause – I will see if I can narrow it down.

Recreated that. Tempo is shared equally for any plugins indeed.

I tested by added Frosting, and I see PHAT eventually drifts out from Frosting and Podolski in sync. Emailed to ujam now!

Well, I think that the sync drift could well be a VD-PHAT issue rather than a Hosting AU one. I suspect that it misses the occasional clock signal for some reason but I can't be sure.

I ran another sync test: I searched through my plugin collection for one that displayed the received bpm and found hypercyclic by mucoder. I put an instance of this on each of Hosting AU's four tracks and watched and listened to the demo sequence for several minutes. The sync was rock-solid, both in terms of the displayed bpm and audio output. One thing that I did notice from this set-up was that although Hosting AU's GUI displays a whole-number bpm, in most positions of the slider the received bpm is not a whole number. This doesn't pose me any serious problems but it might be nice to have the facility to input a precise target bpm. Continuing thanks.

Thank you for your further more testing! I had a reply from ujam days ago that tells they'll investigate it.
deholloway wrote:One thing that I did notice from this set-up was that although Hosting AU's GUI displays a whole-number bpm, in most positions of the slider the received bpm is not a whole number. This doesn't pose me any serious problems but it might be nice to have the facility to input a precise target bpm.
Yes, it is exactly a nice to have feature, and would include it most probably in a major update. It is in that way because of the limited footprint for those tempo-related controls.

(First - thanks a million for this host! I was struggling with AULAb before discovering it several years ago)

Re tempo slider: I find it much too sensitive to mouse movements. Make it about twice as long (virtually)?

Howard wrote:(First - thanks a million for this host! I was struggling with AULAb before discovering it several years ago)

Re tempo slider: I find it much too sensitive to mouse movements. Make it about twice as long (virtually)?
Thanks! Yea. It can be a similar one on our Frosting that accepts vertical mouse move for coarse adjustment, and double click to enter a number for precise tempo to set.

I've got VD-PHAT 2 now, tried it out, and let me inform that it fixes the above sync/drift issues!

https://www.ujam.com/phat/

Return to “Ju-X”