What do you think of the DAW market right now and for 2020?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And hopefully they'll start supporting VST3 with it, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 am I really think that if we do see a new DAW, it’s from Native Instruments. It would be a smart move, if they roll it out as part of a new hardware interface... are you listening NI?

“Rekord.”

:lol:
Then they can truly abandon all new features in Maschine.

I see no legit reason for any company to come out with a new DAW.
But,
I still think there's a lack of 100% live oriented features in a DAW, maybe because I own Live and DP10, and owned Kore.

Live does Clips, follow actions 'sort of' allow for Session clips (songs) to be chained together with a lot of work, or you can make an hour long arrangement etc. Switching VSTi's is not really there there though, I at one point used Kore to do this when I was playing more keys live, split keys with 2 or more VSTi's being switched in a song without me having to worry about anything but playing.

DP is way more set up for backing tracks, lighting controls, and navigating the open song. You can chain songs to open right after each other, so you're not looking at a sea of markers in the ten songs you're doing live. I find it much more useful in terms of navigation to only have the current song in the timeline.

Nobody is combining Clips, song switching, a tool like Kore for combining and switching instruments on the fly or by program change messages from the timeline etc. that's about the only part of the market I still see lacking.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 am
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 am I really think that if we do see a new DAW, it’s from Native Instruments. It would be a smart move, if they roll it out as part of a new hardware interface... are you listening NI?

“Rekord.”

I am tierd of hearing this one . Perhaps stop comparing Maschine to Ableton and Bitwig and perhaps try to look at it as a product that does one thing but does it really well.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Yeah, I quite like Maschine and I have no doubt that if I really wanted to I could use it as my only DAW without too many problems. It's quick and easy.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

When I compare the progress between 2009 and 2019 on the DAW market as a whole and the evolution of the individual DAWs in that period then I think that we should not talk about 2020 here. 2025 or even 2030 would be a better time frame for any significant changes (even Bitwig is more than 5 years on the market now).

telecode wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 am

“Rekord.”

I am tierd of hearing this one . Perhaps stop comparing Maschine to Ableton and Bitwig and perhaps try to look at it as a product that does one thing but does it really well.
It doesn't though, unless you mean 4/4 bangers. It's a piss poor drum machine, period. I've owned it for years, the main flaw is it cannot do more than one time signature in it's song timeline. It fails at doing what drum machines from the 1980's could do.

It's incredibly well thought out in every other way, except at its core. It's sequencer doesn't allow for live pattern jamming as well. So you're stuck mousing arrangements around.

I get that 90% of you never write anything outside of 4/4, and that's fine, but Maschine fails for me because of this. Inserted in a DAW as a VSTi I can work with it, but sometimes depending on the update, it fails at that as well.

I'm on to the MPC at this point, I keep it around for the few dozen songs I have it in, and with the hope that it gets a serious rewrite at some point, but it sure the hell will not if NI decide to do an actual DAW. Fix your dammed beat box first forchrissakes! :x

machinesworking wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:09 pm
telecode wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 am

“Rekord.”

It doesn't though, unless you mean 4/4 bangers. It's a piss poor drum machine, period. I've owned it for years, the main flaw is it cannot do more than one time signature in it's song timeline. It fails at doing what drum machines from the 1980's could do.

It's incredibly well thought out in every other way, except at its core. It's sequencer doesn't allow for live pattern jamming as well. So you're stuck mousing arrangements around.

I get that 90% of you never write anything outside of 4/4, and that's fine, but Maschine fails for me because of this. Inserted in a DAW as a VSTi I can work with it, but sometimes depending on the update, it fails at that as well.

I'm on to the MPC at this point, I keep it around for the few dozen songs I have it in, and with the hope that it gets a serious rewrite at some point, but it sure the hell will not if NI decide to do an actual DAW. Fix your dammed beat box first forchrissakes! :x
Yeah, I’ve got a list of things that Maschine should do better, including more robust time signature support, but I doubt they’ll ever implement them. It’s a rare thing that I stay with it though a project, but it is great for quickly banging out simple stuff for real time comparison.

But, my Rekord idea would not be an extension of Maschine, but a new product that would have the full features of a modern DAW (along the lines of Bitwig) but have a dedicated control surface. Probably not a MIDI controller.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Please god, no more hosts. Just make the ones we use better :hyper:

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 pm Yeah, I’ve got a list of things that Maschine should do better, including more robust time signature support, but I doubt they’ll ever implement them. It’s a rare thing that I stay with it though a project, but it is great for quickly banging out simple stuff for real time comparison.

But, my Rekord idea would not be an extension of Maschine, but a new product that would have the full features of a modern DAW (along the lines of Bitwig) but have a dedicated control surface. Probably not a MIDI controller.
It doesn't have multi time signature support at all. You can get it to follow the time signatures of the DAW it's hosted in, and use MIDI note scene changes to work on measures in Maschine, then have that DAW take care of firing off the changes. That, like I said works about half the time, depending on the update.

What I fear the most with NI is what anybody who has any DAW for any length of time runs into, that they stretch themselves too thin chasing features (or in the case of NI whole new products), and do not finish or fix the rough edges with the features/products they have right now.

Or to put it more succinctly, NI flatly stated that maintaining and fixing fundamental flaws in Kore was going to be too costly and they were dumping Kore to concentrate on Maschine giving us all a cohesive product. Years later if they release a separate DAW, then they break that logic.

Why not just throw more development at Maschine, fix it's flaws and make it a full fledged DAW? This makes total sense to me, the MPC is half ass there, but it's stated they don't want to go that route etc. no more than 8 tracks of audio, no editing those tracks etc. So Maschine fills a distinct gap if it actually becomes a DAW, separates itself from the rest etc. To me this is almost a no brainer, Maschine is close, and if it becomes the front end for Komplete Control s series keyboards replacing KK, then all my bitching about NI is out the door and I'm in! :)

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:26 pm Please god, no more hosts. Just make the ones we use better :hyper:
:tu:

Kore doesn't have much in the way of "fundamental flaws" (whoever at NI said that must suck so bad at synthesis), you could re-release it now, pretty much as it was, except add vst3, multi-core and side-chaining, just a handful of technicalities like that to move it up forward a decade - and it wipes the floor with everything on the market.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:09 pmIt's a piss poor drum machine, period.
Is that all it's meant to be? To me it seems like a fairly well equipped sequencer. It feels about as much like drum machine as FL Studio does. I'd have thought Battery was NI's drum machine.
I've owned it for years, the main flaw is it cannot do more than one time signature in it's song timeline. It fails at doing what drum machines from the 1980's could do.
Maybe but that's a fairly easy thing to get around if you really need to. In 37 years of song writing, I'v needed to do that exactly once and I don't think I actually did by changing the time signature, just by working out how many bars of 3/4 I'd need to mesh properly with the 4/4 around it.
It's sequencer doesn't allow for live pattern jamming as well. So you're stuck mousing arrangements around.
I don't see a problem there, that requirement is covered in plenty of other applications.
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 pmBut, my Rekord idea would not be an extension of Maschine, but a new product that would have the full features of a modern DAW (along the lines of Bitwig) but have a dedicated control surface. Probably not a MIDI controller.
What makes bigwig a "modern DAW"? I bought it thinking it might be that but I didn't enjoy the experience much. OTOH, Cubase feels like a thoroughly modern DAW to me. I realise there is a lot of legacy stuff in there as well but coming at it as a newbie in 2019, it feels really slick and modern compared to Orion (obviously), Bitwig or Maschine.

I think the DAW market is pretty strong and there are a lot of good options. I was definitely happier though when I only knew one DAW and hadn't looked to see if the grass was greener on the other side lol.

After trying all of them Reaper ticks the most boxes for me since its tweakability is second to none. Rewire fixes the rest.

I think the DAW market is strong too, but you get a rasy for using reaper :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”