What's up at Plogue?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alter/Ego Bidule chipcrusher chipsounds chipspeech chipsynth MD chipsynth PortaFM sforzando

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:00 am $49 ain't much for a decent synth.
Definitely. ... and you can buy them over time. .. but still adds up if you plan to get all or most. .. :shrug:

If $50 means that Plogue can develop better faster stronger plugins, then I’m all for it.

I mean, I think it’s an absolute travesty that PortaFM hasn’t gotten more hype.

True. But if future chipsynths will increase further in price, I'll think twice about getting any more. ...

Tight budget and already so much stuff. ... ;)

Each chipsynth is priced according to its depth/complexity.
Its unfair to compare a simple 2OP with the monster that is MD :/
Development time was more than double.

Cheers
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

davidv@plogue wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm Each chipsynth is priced according to its depth/complexity.

Cheers
That was what I was thinking, but didn’t want to assume. Can’t wait to hear how the MD sounds, considering what I was able to coax out of that simple 2OP.

davidv@plogue wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm Each chipsynth is priced according to its depth/complexity.

Cheers

Fair enough. $49 has been audio damage's sweet spot for mid/high range complexity plugins, so I'm used to it and of course, as mentioned above, would really like for plogue to thrive.
Just a few lines of explanation as in the quote above is all I need to know.

I'm a little familiar from playing old consoles and listening to video game soundtracks with the sound of quite a few chips, but I have practically no knowledge of their complexity.

And I wasn't really arguing new plogue customer pricing, but the absence of an upgrade discount.

Considering the number of chipsynths you are planning to release /develop even 10% off each new chipsynth would simply have been appreciated and I believe could have added to the goodwill of your existing customers.

I guess in total it might have amounted to previous customers saving about what they paid for chipsounds if they bought all the current and upcoming chipsynths. And business-psychology-wise adding incentives for previous customers to keep buying licenses for your current and upcoming lineup. ;)

Regardless, $49 is dirt cheap considering the quality of your software and if that means plogue is more likely to keep all its software in development and receiving updates and fixes, I am all for it.

Couldn't do what I do the way I want to do it without bidule and the rest of your software! :tu:

After all, even if development time was more than double, the price is less than double of portafm, so it's very fair and dare I say generous of you to everyone, especially new customers.

perpetual3 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:18 pm That was what I was thinking, but didn’t want to assume. Can’t wait to hear how the MD sounds, considering what I was able to coax out of that simple 2OP.
Here is a small teaser by a preset contributor:
https://soundcloud.com/imlxh/sets/chipsynth-md-patches

Its not a full demo or showcase though, just examples for the specific patches they made. There will be a full launch album with MD.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

fabi wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:23 pm Considering the number of chipsynths you are planning to release /develop even 10% off each new chipsynth would simply have been appreciated and I believe could have added to the goodwill of your existing customers.

I guess in total it might have amounted to previous customers saving about what they paid for chipsounds if they bought all the current and upcoming chipsynths. And business-psychology-wise adding incentives for previous customers to keep buying licenses for your current and upcoming lineup. ;)
I kind of get where you are coming from but for me the pricing of both PortaFM and the upcoming MD are more than fair for what you get. Just because they are in a series of synths doesn't necessarily mean that a loyalty scheme is appropriate. It seems that bundles are more common on that front... e.g. VCollection, Komplete, Korg Gadget VSTs.

Keeping in mind that Plogue are a smaller company then I wouldn't even be fussed if (in however many years) once the full ChipSynth range was then sold as a bundle for cheaper. As by that point I'll have had countless hours of use and inspiration.

I also don't think that comparisons with ChipSounds are fair either. It's a completely different concept where both based on really accurate modelling of the vintage chips. Each ChipSynth is a discrete and single instrument that let's you get deep into how it operates. ChipSounds is like a playground and container for experimenting with a wide range of modeled chips within a common interface. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I'm looking forward for every new release of you. I got all the sound making plugins and all are awesome and worth much more to me then actually charged. Keep up the great work. This is unmatched. Have joy and be sound.

P.S.
45 dollars? And people are discussing about that? I think this is a more than fair price.

I will gladly pay $49 for this synth.

It's obvious it will have taken more work than PortaFM and I can't imagine a company like plogue overpricing their stuff based on the amount of work they put in.... plus $49 which isn't much for what is on offer, I want to support.

The demos sound killer, I'm so ready.

davidv@plogue wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pmthe monster that is MD
I just can't wait to hear more about the monster part, is it going to be a 6 layer FM monster? I saw a very interesting hint on David's tweet:
- User preset folder are now per product and not engine global

Will it be able to deliver the deep, dark, mysterious basses of the FB-01? Especially since there is a teaser of several alternative filters and DAC/Mix.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Hmmm. Sounds all very interesting and I'll gladly buy it, but probably not right on release day.

Plogue software is, and always has been , priced at bargain prices with incredible value and they are also so friendly as to offer site /bulk, student discount AND bundle prices.

Plus the chipcrusher 2 (?) Upgrade was completely free iirc, so I agree it's totally worth more than the asking price. (MD)

Plogue, i'm just thinking of sampling drums with a sampler plugin from you guys. I feel like you could make a next level sounding sampler. Is chipcrusher as far as your ventures will go into dac/sampling emulation or would something like a sampler instrument be something you'd like to create?

I've been harshly critical of the bloaty installers and frameworks that come with Plogue plugins, but ChipSynths (and ChipCrusher, my personal favorite) are simply products that no-one else is even close to making, so these are likely all going to be instant buys for me. Especially the C64. People who cry that $49 is too much for something as complex and unique as this, you probably don't want as customers anyway.

Return to “Instruments”