303 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:54 am

Puddi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 am
chk071 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 am
Puddi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:14 am
How can companies like Xfer thrive without bloated copy protections? Would Serum be as successful and have all this market share if it was hidden behind a dongle?
You don't know how successful it actually is. Just like any of us, you can just speculate about it. What seems to be sure is that it's popular. But... is it successful? Only Steve Duda knows. A little Google search reveals that it's all over the respective warez sites. So... we know now that it's popular, and a much warezed plugin. But, we don't know whether or not it is successful. Which is sort of the whole deal, for the company.
Calling Serum 'successful' is probably an understatement. Every EDM producer, big or small, seems to be using it to some extent and it's THE synth for most bass genres. I don't think Xfer is going out of business any time soon.

The speculation is more if it would be as successful if it was locked behind heavy protection. I honestly don't think so.
Serum is on a rent to own subscription using Splice. That's the only reason many teens (or people from some third world countries) can afford it.

chk071
KVRAF
21181 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - summer sale -20% and new XP

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:01 am

The more frequently i read this argument, the less i understand it. How are teens, or people from a third world country able to afford a computer which can run Serum in the first place? How should they be able to buy a MIDI keyboard, some monitors, or headphones, to play Serum? It just doesn't make sense to argue like that.

Calandria
KVRist
66 posts since 13 Dec, 2018

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 am

No one can say that the developers didn't at least try a lighter protection model. I guess now they have to do what brings in the bacon.
I find it interesting that Parawave's Rapid was never defeated even though it didn't use ilok or eLicenser. If I remember rightly the dev even said in the Rapid thread that Rapid has never been cracked and never will be. I must admit when I first read that I thought r2r or V.R would have been all over it just to prove a point that no protection is unbreakable. :)

anomandaris1
KVRist

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:01 am
The more frequently i read this argument, the less i understand it. How are teens, or people from a third world country able to afford a computer which can run Serum in the first place? How should they be able to buy a MIDI keyboard, some monitors, or headphones, to play Serum? It just doesn't make sense to argue like that.
Wow, you can probably use your parent's computer? My old computer from 2008-9 could run at least one instance of Serum, so CPU usage is not a real argument - you just export to audio when you have to.
Headphones - 10-15 usd?
Studio monitors - I doubt this.
Midi keyboard - haha, when I hear some keyboard played parts in EDM song I will believe this. Even recent pop music sounds like sequenced midi, clicked in piano roll. (We will have to wait for the Chopin of the EDM/pop world to reveal himself some day.)

chk071
KVRAF

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 am

If you take a look at EDM production videos, none of those guys don't have a keyboard. ;) Whether you need it or not when you do your hobby music is another question. But, the most important question still stands. How are you supposed to buy a computer, which costs 5, 6, or 7 times more than your Serum license? The obvious answer: If you can't afford Serum, then you surely can't afford a computer. Which invalidates the whole argument. Apart from the necessity to get food on the table, which is surely much more important than owning a software synthesizer license.

Ghislain2b
KVRist
30 posts since 23 Nov, 2014 from France

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 am

@msvs :
Following the problems that you are currently experiencing, I hope you will exclude all users who have called the hotline because they used XPs cracked. :hihi:
Finally, to thank your loyal and honest customers : I would like a decreasing price for version 2 according to the number of banks purchased. :wink:

Sam-U
KVRist
62 posts since 8 Jan, 2018

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 am

You might not believe this but you don't need monitors or midi keyboards to run Serum. And you by far don't need a superior high end machine (unlike for Avenger). Buying a small family laptop is already enough; don't think every teen needs to buy an own one. There are guys doing music just for fun, as hobby...

D.K Envelope
KVRist
138 posts since 28 Oct, 2018

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 am

:tu: cool try the cracked version right now
wow all expansions available for free thanks for mentioned it ;)
before the thread i dont know about the warez sites :)
biggest thanks from me :party: :party:

chk071
KVRAF

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am

Sam-U wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 am
You might not believe this but you don't need monitors or midi keyboards to run Serum. And you by far don't need a superior high end machine (unlike for Avenger). Buying a small family laptop is already enough; don't think every teen needs to buy an own one. There are guys doing music just for fun, as hobby...
Yeah. I would love to drive a Ferrari as well, but, i just can't afford one. Tough luck in the world nowadays. :shrug:

If you can't afford Serum or Avenger, there's a gazillion of options you have. Freeware, magware, or cheap or discounted software. Sure, it won't be Serum or Avenger, but, it will be a start. And, ESPECIALLY, something you can afford. As it has been pointed out, you can even rent-to-own Serum. If you really need to have it. And, if you really need to have Sylenth1, you can rent-to-own that as well. I could rent a Ferrari as well. If i wanted.

Sam-U
KVRist
62 posts since 8 Jan, 2018

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am
As it has been pointed out, you can even rent-to-own Serum. If you really need to have it. And, if you really need to have Sylenth1, you can rent-to-own that as well.
I thought that was the whole point or did I miss something? Anyways there's no correlation between "teens buying Serum via rent to own" and the "they can't afford a machine to run it on if they can't afford Serum" bs :wink:

Back to topic: big no-no for Codemeter. Not only does it install a thousand services and bloated cpu hog software, it scans the harddrive and causes a lot of trouble and bugs. There were many threads about it, lately when MAAT released their 1000$ EQ plugin XD Besides that it's even less popular than elicenser and I'm personally not into buying another frickin 3rd dongle :D

anomandaris1
KVRist

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 am
If you take a look at EDM production videos, none of those guys don't have a keyboard. ;) Whether you need it or not when you do your hobby music is another question. But, the most important question still stands. How are you supposed to buy a computer, which costs 5, 6, or 7 times more than your Serum license? The obvious answer: If you can't afford Serum, then you surely can't afford a computer. Which invalidates the whole argument. Apart from the necessity to get food on the table, which is surely much more important than owning a software synthesizer license.
My friend, why don't you visit edmproduction on reddit - the only other big audio forum that I visit and type in their search bar something about Serum and Splice rent to own. You are clearly clueless, if you think that thousands of people don't use this type of subscription service.
By your logic no kid also should do any task on a computer, because they can't in theory afford one... wow. (Let's ignore they have a family or can save from breakfast/Christmas or whatever and buy a used one and it doesn't have to be "monster" to run something like Serum or Massive etc.) (It's one to pay 10 usd a month, another - 190.) Anyway, that's my theory why Serum is more popular than other synth plugins.
About Edmproduction videos - do me a favour and don't talk trashtalk, I personally know a few relatively big names - few house/trance producers and 2 dnb producers (from my city) and these guys own analogue keyboard and digital keyboard synths, but are complete monkeys as players.
It's not hard to find youtube interviews with Avicii, SHM etc and see them saying they can't play or even make tracks online, inputting notes with mouse, not playing anything.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 am

The point is: Why aim for expensive plugins, when you already can play with freeware, or low cost ones? Again... why would i aim for a Ferrari, when my Skoda is up to my every day tasks? People in third world countries have other things to worry than premium software synthesizer plugins. Teens as well. The sheer popularity of warezed premium plugins shows the absurdity of many folks out there. Instead of using stuff they can afford and use legally, they aim for the best of the best premium stuff. Why not steal a Ferrari as well then? Pointless discussion really.

vurt
addled muppet weed
48596 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:24 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 am
The point is: Why aim for expensive plugins, when you already can play with freeware, or low cost ones? Again... why would i aim for a Ferrari, when my Skoda is up to my every day tasks? People in third world countries have other things to worry than premium software synthesizer plugins. Teens as well. The sheer popularity of warezed premium plugins shows the absurdity of many folks out there. Instead of using stuff they can afford and use legally, they aim for the best of the best premium stuff. Why not steal a Ferrari as well then? Pointless discussion really.
your not gonna die when your cracked synth crashes?

Stefken
KVRian
1466 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 am

Please stay on topic. :wink:

Puddi
KVRist
54 posts since 20 Dec, 2018

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 am
Again, though, nothing of that actually proves how successful it is. It takes a bit more than getting the big names to use it, to be successful.

Some of those big names allegedly haven't even bought it regularly... :o
Maybe you judge 'success' by a different metric than me, but Serum is undoubtedly a success IMO. Same goes for the Fabfilter plugins. Or Valhalla reverbs.

Market share is king.

I'll just drop this now since it's getting off-topic.

Return to “Instruments”