IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm This is why I asked about DAW compatibility. Drag and drop or MIDI patterns does not work in Cubase 7. I get the little pointer with the plus sign but when I go to drop it onto the track, nothing happens.

Oh well, I never used MIDI patterns anyway so I guess I won't miss this. Still, a bit annoying.
The devs are aware of this happening in some versions of Cubase and should have a fix released as soon as possible.
Thanks. And again my apologies if I came off snarky. It was not my intention. I still can't believe the cost of some of the drum sets out there. That I actually was able to get this for under $150 totally floors me. Might be the bargain of the year for me. I just put together a kit from scratch for my current song that I absolutely know for a fact I could not have created with anything that I had in my arsenal up to this point. If you take the time to put on your programmer's cap, this thing is a virtual playground the likes I've never seen before. This and MODO Bass will now go side by side on all non EDM tracks.
Not a problem. I should have laid back a little bit more too, I've seen you take some crap here - many do, it comes with the territory and we're not all thick-skinned all the time. It isn't possible!

Thanks for the kind words too! I think I really had the most fun putting together some crazy Bubinga kit modifications that were definitely either near, on, or a bit over the edge of what would "normally be done" with regard to drums. I'm pretty sure you can get that tight tiny snare you were looking for before MODO DRUM was released (if I'm remembering correctly that was you, if not apologies again as my memory isn't what it used to be).

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm This is why I asked about DAW compatibility. Drag and drop or MIDI patterns does not work in Cubase 7. I get the little pointer with the plus sign but when I go to drop it onto the track, nothing happens.

Oh well, I never used MIDI patterns anyway so I guess I won't miss this. Still, a bit annoying.
The devs are aware of this happening in some versions of Cubase and should have a fix released as soon as possible.
Thanks. And again my apologies if I came off snarky. It was not my intention. I still can't believe the cost of some of the drum sets out there. That I actually was able to get this for under $150 totally floors me. Might be the bargain of the year for me. I just put together a kit from scratch for my current song that I absolutely know for a fact I could not have created with anything that I had in my arsenal up to this point. If you take the time to put on your programmer's cap, this thing is a virtual playground the likes I've never seen before. This and MODO Bass will now go side by side on all non EDM tracks.
Not a problem. I should have laid back a little bit more too, I've seen you take some crap here - many do, it comes with the territory and we're not all thick-skinned all the time. It isn't possible!

Thanks for the kind words too! I think I really had the most fun putting together some crazy Bubinga kit modifications that were definitely either near, on, or a bit over the edge of what would "normally be done" with regard to drums. I'm pretty sure you can get that tight tiny snare you were looking for before MODO DRUM was released (if I'm remembering correctly that was you, if not apologies again as my memory isn't what it used to be).
Yes, that was me and the snare possibilities are endless. I don't fully understand the science behind why certain drums sound as they do other than the smaller the drum the higher the pitch possible, but other than that, forget it. This stuff is rocket science to me. So I experiment and when I hear something I like, I keep it.

I think you've got a real winner on your hands and that's only with version 1.0. I can't even imagine the improvements with 1.5 down the road.

Does anyone have a Studio One drum map file for Modo Drums they can share? That'd be awesome of you

Thanks in advance!

Managed to free up 11GB in a Surface 4 (i5 fanless 7300U) using an SD to install it from in the end, would be great if there's any way to reduce the disk size or put samples somewhere else like SD or external HDD one day.

Unfortunately when unplugged from power supply this laptop goes into lower CPU modes (struggles playing one instance of a good synth with fx that way sometimes - I'm sure there's a way round eco modes but my old Surface 2 changed that setting way easier).

This was the same in FL struggling a lot, yet was fine as standalone version! Plugged into power it's fine in FL, though it says 60%+ CPU usage sometimes for me. I might need to bounce a few sounds down in a bigger mix till I get a proper PC, or if it varies a bit between DAWs if anyone knows yet let us know...

All sounding good to me, any more modelled drum types in future would be amazing, well done.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

whannel wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:14 pm Managed to free up 11GB in a Surface 4 (i5 fanless 7300U) using an SD to install it from in the end, would be great if there's any way to reduce the disk size or put samples somewhere else like SD or external HDD one day.

Unfortunately when unplugged from power supply this laptop goes into lower CPU modes (struggles playing one instance of a good synth with fx that way sometimes - I'm sure there's a way round eco modes but my old Surface 2 changed that setting way easier).

This was the same in FL struggling a lot, yet was fine as standalone version! Plugged into power it's fine in FL, though it says 60%+ CPU usage sometimes for me. I might need to bounce a few sounds down in a bigger mix till I get a proper PC, or if it varies a bit between DAWs if anyone knows yet let us know...

All sounding good to me, any more modelled drum types in future would be amazing, well done.
First, thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated and glad you and others are really enjoying MODO DRUM. On the topic of sample location, currently the Windows installer will ask you for a general location (separate from the plugin format locations later in the process) where you can change the drive which will place the samples on that drive. But we're also planning to allow the samples to be installed to a custom location in a future update.

+1.

That would be great for Mac users who can’t do that now with the current installer

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 am The guy in the video doesn't know how to bring in the right stick as there is no manual. So, since you need both sticks to do a drum roll, how DO you bring in the right stick?
There is a manual. I just checked and it doesn't really mention that, so I think it is automatically playing every other hit with left/right hands. Peter may be able to give more detail on this subject.

EDIT: Wagtunes, I found it in the manual:

"The keys from B0 to A2 are assigned to the General MIDI standard drum mapping. The only exception is Floor Tom 2 which is mapped to both F1 and G1 because MODO DRUM only has 3 rack tom + 2 floor tom kits. This range corresponds to the left hand of MODO DRUM.

The upper range A#2 - E4 corresponds to the right hand of MODO DRUM for Snare and Toms. In this range,
the snare and toms are mapped like the General MIDI range two octaves higher. This makes it easy to play
alternating left and right hand performances."
Last edited by Examigan on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A couple things I'd like to have are an optional coated head for the bottom of the toms (clear is the only choice) and to have the snares so they can be switched off, like when Bonham would play his solos. I tried turning the bottom heads volume all the way down to zero and messing around with snare tension, and but it never sounds like the snares are ever "off".

nvm, double post

@ Peter - good news on the Rayzoon front (Jamstix). Ralph is incredibly knowledgable about drumming and all his insights into the styles and techniques of the great players are programmed into Jamstix drum brain which can drive any drum instrument.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 am I've listened the demos and have found this very un-inspiring as a drum alternative. Now, I don't own it or have it but the demo's don't do it justice. Imo, of course.

Please, feel free to correct me where I am wrong..................
IMHO the IK Multimedia demos really don't do it justice, nor do the factory presets. For my taste, they're way too boomy and some of them really sound like bad fake synth drums. However I saw some other videos which sounded much better and bought it (also because I'm a big fan of Modo Bass).

After playing around with it, it seems that you can get a much better sound, if you disable all effects from the preset, ad more dampening on the drums and then process it with your own plugins in your DAW.

Features that I REALLY miss (or things that I don't get):
- turning off the Snare (it's modelled, can't you remove one element?)
- DAW automation seems not to work, which is a pity for the snare position as it also can't be assigned to MIDI CC
- Only Tip and Shank for the Hi-Hat seems very limited, there's only three cymbal sets and they have 11 GB... what did you use all those samples for?!?
- The ways of hitting the drum in general are quite limited. To set yourself apart from sample libraries, I'd expect more variation of technique. What about dead strokes for instance?
- Why is it not possible to tune the resonance head of the snare?
- The lowest possible velocity is still very loud. It's advertized as "infinite velocity"?!? The lowest volume is mp. What about ppp?
- Also the timbre of the snare with a gradual increase of velocity doesn't sound smooth at all. It's more like 3 distinct velocity layers with quite audible jumps

I hope, that the product will see some improvements, soon. It's a cool approach and it would be a pity, if it wasn't improved further.

Katzenberserker wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 pm Features that I REALLY miss (or things that I don't get):
- turning off the Snare (it's modelled, can't you remove one element?)
- DAW automation seems not to work, which is a pity for the snare position as it also can't be assigned to MIDI CC
- Only Tip and Shank for the Hi-Hat seems very limited, there's only three cymbal sets and they have 11 GB... what did you use all those samples for?!?
- The ways of hitting the drum in general are quite limited. To set yourself apart from sample libraries, I'd expect more variation of technique. What about dead strokes for instance?
- Why is it not possible to tune the resonance head of the snare?
- The lowest possible velocity is still very loud. It's advertized as "infinite velocity"?!? The lowest volume is mp. What about ppp?
- Also the timbre of the snare with a gradual increase of velocity doesn't sound smooth at all. It's more like 3 distinct velocity layers with quite audible jumps
Thanks for your suggestions on the snare on/off control. That does sound like a great feature. Be sure to add to the Official MODO DRUM Wish List if you haven't already. It would be nice if things were that simple :D , but thank you none-the-less.

We appreciate the interest in more in-depth Hi-hat control and cymbal control. With aperture control and the various hit options, we've been seeing/hearing some great user demos that sound and feel organic.

If you're having trouble with your velocities, whether it be a getting a nice gradual change or getting a low level/velocity sound, check with the team here. We've been seeing a lot of positive comments on the range of dynamics of the different drums.

Also, the Play Position and Aperture controls should have no issues being controlled in a DAW. I would ask the team for some suggestions in the DAW you are using.

Of course, like any mix, you can always find something to tweak! Thanks for the input and joining the conversation on MODO DRUM.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

I must say the grooves browser leaves a lot to be desired and is quite dissapointing in functionality. As one who relies heavily on midi grooves in my workflow, there seems no way to add and filter your own midi grooves. They should take a lesson from ezdrummer/superior drummer's browser for future updates.

As of now this is unusable for me.

Not sure if someone else mentioned this already, but an FX button at the top of the display (visible no matter which display you're on) would be nice to disable any FX for all tracks.

Also, on the Mixer display at the top where it shows an icon of each part of the kit:
It would be nice if it had a velocity setting to it. If you click towards the bottom of it then it would be less velocity and gradually more velocity when you click higher towards the top of each icon.

Ryan_IK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:28 pm We appreciate the interest in more in-depth Hi-hat control and cymbal control. With aperture control and the various hit options, we've been seeing/hearing some great user demos that sound and feel organic.
I didn't say that you can't get good results. With 11 GB of samples you better should. My question was rather: as only the cymbals are sample based and there's only 3 sets, what did you use all those samples for? Only the aperture control and velocity? As hit options are only two, right?
Ryan_IK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:28 pm If you're having trouble with your velocities, whether it be a getting a nice gradual change or getting a low level/velocity sound
Nobody would play it like this, but as a tech test, you an hear the sudden changes of the timbre clearly:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h2vZU ... N5fHy24Vfk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i93zF ... GPVxSSxJG4

Sounds like a sample library with 5 velocity layers...

The midi is straight forward, just a velocity ramp:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y5CNWP ... sp=sharing
Ryan_IK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:28 pm Also, the Play Position and Aperture controls should have no issues being controlled in a DAW. I would ask the team for some suggestions in the DAW you are using.
Of course you can control it in you DAW via MIDI CC. I was talking about automation, which at least in Ableton Live doesn't seem to be available.
I was also under the impression, that the playing position was two dimensional, as the visual interface suggests. But it seems to be just one dimension (center - side).

Return to “Instruments”