changing keys

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is there a feature in w10 that will identify the key to a clip that i change? for example i have a project in the key of a,and i drag a loop into the project and it's in g , when i transpose the loop, i don't know how many semitones i'm supposed to do to make the clip become the same key. in acid pro 8 when you transpose keys, in the clip it shows the key. is this possible in w10?

G G# A
0 1 2

so you want to transpose that loop up two semitones - just count the notes

my problem is i don't know much music theory.

Do you play guitar or bass (and know where the notes are; at least on the E and A strings?) Just count the frets. So A and then up 2 frets is B. 2 frets=2 semitones. Same on a keyboard, but you have to remember to count the black keys as well <grin>.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

i've been playing guitar for about 40 years. i just get confused when my song is in D and i load a synth loop in c i guess i go 2 semi tones down then? on guitar i'm the king of pentatonic scales! lol!

If you want your song in D and the synth loop is in C, then you have to bring the synth loop UP 2 semitones to get it to D to match your song.

Or, change your song to be in C and replay everything that way... <grin>
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Same as using a capo... if you are playing in C and need it to sound like it is in D, capo goes on the second fret - to transpose a loop in C to sound like it is in D, you transpose up two semitones.

The advantage with this kind of transposing - you can also LOWER the key, which the capo doesn't let you do, due to hardware limitations on the guitar :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Peter Widdicombe wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 am The advantage with this kind of transposing - you can also LOWER the key, which the capo doesn't let you do, due to hardware limitations on the guitar :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
True, unless it is the virtual capo on some of the older models of Variax guitar that Line 6 used to make... but for the most part, true.

thank you gentlemen!

Return to “Tracktion”