Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 am We will include an additional and optional 'flat-skin' to the synth if it is possible to do this with a reasonable amount of work.
If it's still just 1 background image, that should be doable. :tu:

Stefken wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:05 am
fmr wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 am I disagree. The GUI is already crowded. If Tone 2 makes the knobs flat, it will be almost impossible to navigate - our eyes will loose reference points, and it will become a complete mess.
Well, the proof is in the eating. One should try different implementations. Flat was a suggestion but this fake 3d is not a good choice.
But what data suggests that it would become impossible to navigate? :?:
"Impossible" is an hyperbole, obviously. But I'm talking from my personal experience. Flat GUIs with many elements become confusing and the eyes lose reference. 3D (even fake 3D) helps giving eyesight references. Again, I'm talking from my personal experience :shrug:

And flat looks ugly, most of the time (Ableton :x )

That said, I also don't like "angled" knobs. I prefer the "look from the top".
Last edited by fmr on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I agree with wanting to replace the 3D knob design.
GUIs with 3D knobs are not helpful, as some may think. There is no reason to use them in software. Fake angles, knob shadows...serve no purpose. A nice, aesthetic look can be obtained with skeuomorphic 2D (top view) design which can be as clean and easy to read as a good flat skin.

Having said that, the 3D knob angle on this skin is tastefully done, not overstated, and I would have no issues using this GUI.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Honestly thus far it seems like mostly GUI changes than anything else so far.
I hope "There will be a lot more. We will reveal it soon..." brings features.
You can of course charge whatever you want for an update, it is up to the user to buy it.
Alas the Hive 2 update price has really spoiled me.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Hi Markus,

really great news and the new GUI looks amazing :) :tu:
All 3 OSC on one single page is such a huge improvement!

I really hope that you find the time to implement the following 3 features until the release, or in the next ones:

- TRUE RANDOM lfo´s (as somenone else already mentioned, this is sooooooooo important!!!!!)
- Midi Out function for the arp and sequencer! (I can´t believe that in 2019, Omnisphere is still the only synth with the option to drag out the midi data and drop it to the DAW..)
- The ability to lock parameters when using the randomization button. Believe me, without this function, randomization will always be just an incomplete gimmick

zvenx wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am Honestly thus far it seems like mostly GUI changes than anything else so far.
I hope "There will be a lot more. We will reveal it soon..." brings features.
You can of course charge whatever you want for an update, it is up to the user to buy it.
Alas the Hive 2 update price has really spoiled me.
rsp
But thanks for continued development on Icarus 2, I have said elsewhere I think it is your best sounding product in the Tone2 line.
rsp
sound sculptist

Arpeggiator bank? At least 8 patterns, chainable/automatable.
Notify host on bank/program change?

Don't worry, you don't have to implement everything in version 2. There's always 3, 4, etc.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We will go through all requests carefully and examine if we can implement it.

enCiphered wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 am Hi Markus,

really great news and the new GUI looks amazing :) :tu:
All 3 OSC on one single page is such a huge improvement!

I really hope that you find the time to implement the following 3 features until the release, or in the next ones:

- TRUE RANDOM lfo´s (as somenone else already mentioned, this is sooooooooo important!!!!!)
- Midi Out function for the arp and sequencer! (I can´t believe that in 2019, Omnisphere is still the only synth with the option to drag out the midi data and drop it to the DAW..)
- The ability to lock parameters when using the randomization button. Believe me, without this function, randomization will always be just an incomplete gimmick
This is a very good (and I believe not unrealistic) feature request. :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I can´t stop looking at this new GUI, it is so beautifully designed.
Congratulations to the design team, this is by far the best looking synth interface (for me at least..). All graphics, shadows, the color selection and gradients are superb.

Well done Tone2 :clap:

Will there also be a VST3 version?

This looks wonderful!!!

To be totally honest, i liked the v1 GUI more. The distribution of sections was more consistent.

I'd put the filter section where the LFO section is, and vice versa. Filter has a higher priority than LFO for me. And... the MSEG thing would rather fit into the center, for me.

Sooo ready for this update!

SLiC wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 am Looking forward to this.

Massive X killer (just wanted to be the first ;-))

I honestly think Icarus is already much better than Massive X in most departments....If I could only have 1 WT based synth it would definitely be Icarus. Good Luck, let me know if you want a beta tester!

PS- this is also a synth I would buy the upgrade 'pre-sale' and I would not do that for many synths or developers.
+1

Return to “Instruments”