The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

3rd track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

This song really needs a singer. I'm thinking somebody like a Tony Bennett. I had to pitch correct the hell out of this thing just to get it to sound presentable. I am no jazz singer and it shows.

Son is basically about a guy about to be rubbed out by the mob. Chicago Overcoat is 20s slang for a coffin. The whole CD is going to be a throwback to the 20s, 30s and 40s.

Chicago Overcoat

There's no use running
They will not let you
For you they're gunning
They're gonna get you

So you better get on your Chicago overcoat
They're gonna dump your body right off of that boat
There's no escaping from your fate
It's already way too late
Boy you've got yourself a date
With a Chicago...overcoat

You did the crime man
For that you must pay
You botched up that plan
Now it's your last day

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

You knew they'd get you
Sooner or later
I dared to bet you
Now I got you a gator

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... o-overcoat

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 am Abyssinia is actually 20s slang for "I'll Be Seeing You" if you say it real fast.
I thought it might be but I hadn't heard of it before so I discounted that possibility. If your 20s slang is that authentic, you could consider providing a cheat sheet with the lyrics so the audience gets it.

Frantz wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 am
wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 am Abyssinia is actually 20s slang for "I'll Be Seeing You" if you say it real fast.
I thought it might be but I hadn't heard of it before so I discounted that possibility. If your 20s slang is that authentic, you could consider providing a cheat sheet with the lyrics so the audience gets it.
Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of stuff on this CD that a lot of people aren't going to get. I guess a cheat sheet wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm guessing a Chicago overcoat is some kind of concrete weight that doesn't help when you're tossed in the river!
Being a Brit, I'm not sure. Although I did grow up in a town that was nicknamed "little Chicago".
If its about being dumped in a river, then its a surprisingly upbeat and fun number!
I actually like it, it's quite humourous but nice arrangement and overall well done. :tu:

edit: I listened to your two previous songs too. Very good - I wish I could write lyrics like you, thats a real bottleneck for me that slows me down.

Bansaw wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:55 am I'm guessing a Chicago overcoat is some kind of concrete weight that doesn't help when you're tossed in the river!
Being a Brit, I'm not sure. Although I did grow up in a town that was nicknamed "little Chicago".
If its about being dumped in a river, then its a surprisingly upbeat and fun number!
I actually like it, it's quite humourous but nice arrangement and overall well done. :tu:

edit: I listened to your two previous songs too. Very good - I wish I could write lyrics like you, thats a real bottleneck for me that slows me down.
A Chicago Overcoat is actually a casket. The song is very tongue in cheek and meant to be slightly humorous. I had a lot of fun writing this one. And the Warp IV Brass & Woodwinds libraries have made a HUGE difference in getting that authentic big band sound. Best purchase of the year for me.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 am A Chicago Overcoat is actually a casket. The song is very tongue in cheek and meant to be slightly humorous. I had a lot of fun writing this one. And the Warp IV Brass & Woodwinds libraries have made a HUGE difference in getting that authentic big band sound. Best purchase of the year for me.
Oh ok! ... do you have anything that helps you write lyrics, or does it all come just naturally ?

Bansaw wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:18 am
wagtunes wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 am A Chicago Overcoat is actually a casket. The song is very tongue in cheek and meant to be slightly humorous. I had a lot of fun writing this one. And the Warp IV Brass & Woodwinds libraries have made a HUGE difference in getting that authentic big band sound. Best purchase of the year for me.
Oh ok! ... do you have anything that helps you write lyrics, or does it all come just naturally ?
Yes, I do have something that helps write lyrics. I've been doing it for 42 years. And it's STILL the hardest thing in the world for me. Lyric writing is 100 times harder than writing music. It's what dooms most pop songs from ever getting recorded. Not the music. The lyrics. That was my biggest problem in the early years. All the publishers told me the same thing. Your music's fine but the lyrics are weak. Melodies are a dime a dozen. We're looking for a strong lyric.

Listen to country songs. The lyrics (at least the old songs) were really great. Lyrics today, for the most part, aren't as great as they were years ago because the attention span of today's generation isn't what it was years ago. Music today is disposable. Something to listen to while you're texting your friends. Nobody sits down and actually turns on the stereo and listens to a record or a CD anymore.

But that's enough rambling about that. I could go on about the music industry all day and it wouldn't change anything anyway.

4th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind".

I really love the bass line on this one. And the Warp IV libraries are just amazing. I've never come close to getting this kind of sound before.

Sweet Patootie

Hey there girl
You got the look that just drives me crazy
Rock my world
Baby doll you're fresh as a daisy

So let's go
You're coming with me to the show
You're running with me don't you know
You'll always be my
Main squeeze gal cause you're a cutie
And you'll always be my sweet patootie

Hey there girl
You got the look that's one in a million
Rock my world
Let me take you to the cotillion

Repeat Chorus

We can make it together
Let us make it forever
Let us take it wherever it wants to go
Cause I love you so

Repeat Verse 1

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/sweet-patootie

5th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

I don't remember the last time I had this much fun working on a CD. Maybe my prog rock one. But this one has been a hoot.

The title is old slang for get angry.

Snap Your Cap

Hey boy
I know you're having a bad day
But don't you take it out on me
No way

Don't you snap your cap
Snap your cap
Snap your cap at me
Don't you snap your cap
Snap your cap
Snap your cap at me

Hey boy
I know that life can be real rough
But don't you take me for a fool
Time for you to get tough

Repeat Chorus

Hey boy
It's gonna get better
So don't you use me for a bag
Go brave the weather

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/snap-your-cap

6th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

City Juice is 30s slang for water.

City Juice

You know how to throw a party
You know how to have a good time
But you know what I like to drink girl
You know that it's not that cheap wine
You know I gotta have the good stuff
So you gotta break it loose
Don't want none of your city juice

We go through this every night girl
You try to commit the worst crime

Let's stop playing these games girl
You try saving a thin dime

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/city-juice

Although you're mixing chops have definitely improved, a couple of these songs are good enough that I'd suggest you trying to find someone to mix them and do them more justice. Compyfox's mixing challenge is one possibility, but there might be other avenues.

That's the good news.

The bad news is both 'Chicago Overcoat' and 'City Juice' are almost unlistenable due to the drums, which are just falling all over the place and dragging the rest of the performance with them :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:31 am Although you're mixing chops have definitely improved, a couple of these songs are good enough that I'd suggest you trying to find someone to mix them and do them more justice. Compyfox's mixing challenge is one possibility, but there might be other avenues.

That's the good news.

The bad news is both 'Chicago Overcoat' and 'City Juice' are almost unlistenable due to the drums, which are just falling all over the place and dragging the rest of the performance with them :scared:
Thanks for the listen and the feedback el-bo. All noted.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:31 am Although you're mixing chops have definitely improved, a couple of these songs are good enough that I'd suggest you trying to find someone to mix them and do them more justice. Compyfox's mixing challenge is one possibility, but there might be other avenues.

That's the good news.

I do want to point out one thing, if it hasn't already been obvious. I am not a performer by any stretch of the imagination. My vocals alone, as better as they are, will automatically kill any chance of any of these songs being picked up by a record company looking for a performing artist. Instrumentally, all my instruments I play marginally at best including drums, keyboards, whatever. I am more than aware of this, which is why I never even considered becoming a performing musician.

My goal has always been to have somebody hear one of my songs, like the song itself, and offer to record it themselves in which case, hopefully, it will be performed well, which includes vocals, drums, keyboard and whatever other instruments are involved.

So I'm not overly concerned if my drumming or anything for that matter as far as performance is lacking.

Having said that, as the drums are all on the beat (everything is quantized) I kind of like the loose feel of them, especially City Juice. It's a refreshing relief from the rigid 4 on the floor of most songs today. If I thought they really sounded horrible, I would have never left them as they are. That I did, means I like the rhythm I chose for these tracks. That doesn't mean a pro drummer wouldn't say to me, "Those drums are horribly played" as I'm sure it's possible he might, but I still like the way they sound, And since I do these songs primarily for my own enjoyment, that's all that really matters to me.

And now that I've finally found a band willing to record my music, I care even less about what people think of my performances. Somebody out there will recognize the song under the performance, as has already happened, and record it properly. So all is good.

But your comments about the drums are noted. I have no doubt a lot of people might think they are a train wreck. Like I said, I like them.

hey wags, check the new guitar forum...
peter from ik teasing some sort of "brian may" type sounds business thing ;)

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:34 pmBut your comments about the drums are noted.
No point "noting" my comments when you've evidently not understood them.

Return to “Music Cafe”