Soundtoys 6 - What would you like to see?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm I was just curious as to your knowledge or guesswork wrt the lack of oversampling.
I'd expect their newer plugins have some kind of internal optimisations for this. E.g., Primal Tap, the reverb....

egbert wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm
Seems like Decapitator has pretty bad aliasing at 44.1 kHz (at the time of publication of this article, at least)
No, it has the least aliasing out of these four plugins.

10k is pretty darn high btw. - not something you'd get normally much of with recorded program material...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:25 pm
Seems like Decapitator has pretty bad aliasing at 44.1 kHz (at the time of publication of this article, at least)

10k is pretty darn high btw. - not something you'd get normally much of with recorded program material...
The foldover peaks just demonstrate the aliasing - of course a single 10 kHz sine wave is not program material anyone is going to use in real life. The extra peaks on the decapitator test would not be there if internal OS were used - the graph for the 44.1 kHz would look like the 96 kHz one if 2x OS were used.

Voxengo has optional oversampling settings on quite a few of his plugins like Elephant and some of the comps and other processors. You can pick from a drop down menu 2x, 4x,8x etc. PSP has HQ modes that are switchable. The idea being to eliminate the foldover artifacts in the audio band. Kinda suprised that here we are in 2019 - 25 years or so after VST plugins tipped up - and this is not standard practice.

Delay time automation
Brzzzzzzt.

An excellent upgrade price for version 5 bundle owners :D

MikeCallon wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:51 am An excellent upgrade price for version 5 bundle owners :D
:hihi: :hihi: :tu:
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 11 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 13 / VEP7 / 24 ch X-Touch / Console 1 /Metagrid Pro / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 / Roli Seabord

elnn wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:52 am Delay time automation
Time is automatable in delays (both), or what was meant.

Sound toys needs to grow more in sound quality, i think it offer great experimental approaches, but it doesn't sounds PRO at all.

I don't know how they stay in business. They haven't made a new product in years. If they actually made new stuff or even updated the bundle I'd buy in an instant.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

AllMac wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:55 pm Sound toys needs to grow more in sound quality, i think it offer great experimental approaches, but it doesn't sounds PRO at all.
Well the Soundtoys plugins have been used on countless now classic records. That sound has become immortalised and is now highly sought after.

The Soundtoys guys know what their doing they used to make hardware rack gear and FX pedals at Eventide in the 80s.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I can’t see them doing (and personally don’t want from them) something as vanilla as another boring ass compressor, since they’re generally more into creative effects (hence their name). I do like their recent trend of modernizing some niche vintage effects, but also wouldn’t mind seeing their take on a transient designer.

Also, as cool as the rack is, I’ve always sorta wished for a single streamlined multi-effect that features the key parameters from FilterFreak, EchoBoy, Decapitator, and maybe PhaseMistress, with the usual modulation and sequencing. Maybe that’s just me, though? :shrug:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Have a look in their site, they are hiring. I can't see them folding their tent anytime soon.

egbert wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:33 am
jens wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:25 pm

The foldover peaks just demonstrate the aliasing - of course a single 10 kHz sine wave is not program material anyone is going to use in real life. The extra peaks on the decapitator test would not be there if internal OS were used - the graph for the 44.1 kHz would look like the 96 kHz one if 2x OS were used.

Voxengo has optional oversampling settings on quite a few of his plugins like Elephant and some of the comps and other processors. You can pick from a drop down menu 2x, 4x,8x etc. PSP has HQ modes that are switchable. The idea being to eliminate the foldover artifacts in the audio band. Kinda suprised that here we are in 2019 - 25 years or so after VST plugins tipped up - and this is not standard practice.
You weren't actually replying at all to what I said, so I am a bit unsure why you were quoting me.

But let me reiterate what I meant in case it was unclear somehow:

1) 10k is really very high a signal.

http://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_(mu ... cal_ranges

2)

Of the four plugins tested, Decapitator clearly has got the least aliasing. (BX Saturator has got the most).
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

AllMac wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:55 pm Sound toys needs to grow more in sound quality, i think it offer great experimental approaches, but it doesn't sounds PRO at all.
Ah, yes, that makes sense; a company with one of the longest pedigrees in digital sound effects processing, which includes the designers of the Eventide H3000, don't know how to sound 'PRO'.

Sounds legit.

Please remind us all again what the metric for 'PRO' is?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 am
Ah, yes, that makes sense; a company with one of the longest pedigrees in digital sound effects processing, which includes the designers of the Eventide H3000, don't know how to sound 'PRO'.

Sounds legit.

Please remind us all again what the metric for 'PRO' is?
That was the early nineties. And most of their effects are from mid-00'ies. I suppose that A LOT could be improved. Exhibit one: aliasing. Exhibit two: Phase Mistress. Not the most convincing phaser ever. Exhibit three: Echoboy. For all its pretences to sound 'analog', it's nothing of the kind. Read: fake.
Et cetera.

I'm not him, but I suppose he would argue something along those lines.

EDIT: Oh, and what is the metric? Current state of the art, of course. Please don't tell me that science is subjective.
Last edited by perfumer on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”