New synth: Aparillo by Sugar Bytes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aparillo

No, it works properly here in both Cubase and Orion.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

del

BONES wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:31 am Yeah, in the context of the thread that's active at the moment about whether or not the plug-in market is saturated, Aparillo shows that there is still plenty of scope for new and amazing things.

BTW, if you want to get it at half-price, don't muck around because these Sugar-Bytes deals usually only last a week or so. I just grabbed mine.
+1

v1o wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:12 pm
collider wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 pm I'm going to get Aparillo during the next sale.
Was that a promise?

Sugar Bytes "Aparillo" 16-voice FM synthesizer ($49) until 5 September
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 8-Aparillo
I paided less - second hand.

Yeah, I'd rather support the developer than some random loser.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Man, buying this synth has turned out to be a huge mistake. It is so addictive that I can't get any work done. I've got heaps to do but for the last few nights I just end up playing with Aparillo and nothing else gets done. I have to admit, though, that I do get a lot of enjoyment out of those evenings, Aparillo really is something else, especially in the lower registers where it maintains the integrity of the timbre better than just about anything. It's absolutely feckin' amazing!

I feel really comfortable with most parts of it now but, so far, I have not touched the Orbit section. I am very keen to get in to that over the weekend and see how much further I can push things.

I’ve had Aparillo about a year. I appreciate Sugar Bytes innovativines, but I’m not sure if this Aparillo/Obscurium is the best direction to go - aren’t those more like games than instruments?
I have the both, Looperator and Wow2, where the Wow2 is still my favourite.

Harry_HH wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 am I appreciate Sugar Bytes innovativines, but I’m not sure if this Aparillo/Obscurium is the best direction to go - aren’t those more like games than instruments?

I get where you're coming from, but another point of view would be that the same characteristic makes them feel more like instruments than tools.

If I'm playing guitar I don't think analytically about how the sound is generated, I just know how to get the sound I want. In many synths I find myself routinely working from bottom-up in a very reductionist fashion to construct the sound, whereas Sugar Bytes' synths as a combination of thoughtful macros/UI design feel more touchy-feely. It's a bit like the difference between doing chemistry and cooking food.

Harry_HH wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 am I appreciate Sugar Bytes innovativines, but I’m not sure if this Aparillo/Obscurium is the best direction to go - aren’t those more like games than instruments?

I get where you're coming from, but another point of view would be that the same characteristic makes them feel more like instruments than tools.

If I'm playing guitar I don't think analytically about how the sound is generated, I just know how to get the sound I want. In many synths I find myself routinely working from bottom-up with a very reductionist mindset to construct the sound, whereas Sugar Bytes' synths as a combination of thoughtful macros/UI design feel more touchy-feely. It's a bit like the difference between doing chemistry and cooking food.

Harry_HH wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 am I’ve had Aparillo about a year. I appreciate Sugar Bytes innovativines, but I’m not sure if this Aparillo/Obscurium is the best direction to go - aren’t those more like games than instruments?
I have the both, Looperator and Wow2, where the Wow2 is still my favourite.
Not at all. I thought that about it when it was on sale last year and didn't bother looking at it properly. This year I bothered to download the demo and it completely blew me away. The Orbit thing is a bit gimmicky but everything else about the synth is really solid. It is a serious monster of a thing, capable of incredible sounds that I normally associate with really complex synths like Absynth or weird Kontakt instruments. And unlike the DX-9 I owned back in the day, Aparillo is really easy to work with.

I've also got Cyclop and Factory. They are all really different to everything els out there and that makes them invaluable to us.

Aparillo is such a fun synth to use and it does make great sounds. At first sight I thought that it was a much more complex synth especially because of its unique (and clever) GUI and the Orbiter obviously. But when you look at it, it's essentially a 2 operators FM synth with waveshaping/formant shifting, 2 powerful LFOs, a 16 voices unison mode with harmonic scales, great filters and FXs (that reverb though) and a XY pad modulation matrix.

This synth is a great example of how to make FM synthesis visually appealing and entertaining to program.

Speaking of a "appealing and entertaining" synth to program : Massive X ( :wink: ) you can get very very similar sounds with it. I could recreate many of my Aparillo patches inside MX actually...

Yes, agree all these argument - except for me an instrument is more a working tool, than a, how should I put this, a playmate. ;-)

And that's why I'm glad I just do music for a hobby I guess. I still get to have fun :/

sinemotor wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm Speaking of a "appealing and entertaining" synth to program : Massive X ( :wink: ) you can get very very similar sounds with it. I could recreate many of my Aparillo patches inside MX actually...
I´m really curious to try but I find it quite difficult. If you load the init preset (everything is reset) in Aparillo, move the arp knob fully right and play a long note, every arp note sounds a bit different without any modulation. Any tips on how I could replicate that sound/sequence in Massive X? Even the pure init sound isn´t a sine wave even though the manual mentions that they use sine waves.

Beachboy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:23 pm I´m really curious to try but I find it quite difficult. If you load the init preset (everything is reset) in Aparillo, move the arp knob fully right and play a long note, every arp note sounds a bit different without any modulation. Any tips on how I could replicate that sound/sequence in Massive X? Even the pure init sound isn´t a sine wave even though the manual mentions that they use sine waves.
In Massive X set Envelope 1 to LoopGate instead of Gate. Set the release and sustain knobs to 0. Play with the Decay and the Hold knobs (the one next to the attack knob) to set the length of the amplitude modulation.
Then assign a bipolar triangle LFO to the pan knob and set your rate.

The init patch in Aparillo is set to unison and it's not a pure sine wave because both operators have the formant activated. You can emulate this feature in Massive X by using the Formant Mode in the WT osc section.

Return to “Instruments”