Reason 11 announced!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Great update! That Rack as VST was one of the things that will improve my workflow.
Also I'm really glad to see Suite version - great value for people that didn't purchase Complex-1 and all the players that were recently released.

I hope to see someday Reason as an AUv3 for iPad. Anosou, is it something we can expect with desktop AU support?

I'm also wondering how all the midi related features would work in Rack plugin? Can I copy midi to track from DrOctorex? Can I copy midi to track from players? Is it possible to use External midi device within rack plugin? Are RE parameters reported to VST host for automation (ex.can I automate Thor filter from Ableton)?

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:14 pmI'm a bit confused about how to use Reason as a VST host in combination with another DAW.
No wonder - we won't be able to do that.

Reason 11's Rack will be a VST that you can use as instrument or FX in other DAW :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I once said (well... more than once... ;)) that supporting VST will kill Reason. But now, i think they really make something good out of it. Offering the rack as VST is a great move, which surely will get them some new customers.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:33 pm Props, take my money.
No, take my money first!
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Anosou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:00 pm Can Reason Rack Plugin host 3rd party VSTs?
we have no plans for hosting VSTs inside our VST, high inception-warning on that one.
:D

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chk071 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:39 pmBut now, i think they really make something good out of it. Offering the rack as VST is a great move, which surely will get them some new customers.
The question is - will people really be paying $/EUR359 for full Reason to only access the Rack VST? Or perhaps they should sell Rack VST as a separate product without Mixer and Sequencer and at reduced price of say $/EUR249 or even $/EUR199?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I said countless times hi res graphics is a total waste of time and resources from Propellerheads, and still is -- I'm glad they didn't listen to the same handful of people constantly squawking about it so they can run 4k zoom crap on their 20" laptop screens.

Looking through other posts I do however understand the mixed feelings from people who still use Reason as their primary DAW (of which I was on and off for 15 years, and the most vocal by far the last few years and garnered plenty of hate for it). The writing was on the wall long ago, even if you just took an honest appraisal of each release: despite all our efforts it was simply never going to happen that Reason was going to "DAW".

Props made the absolutely right move. They'll pull in more sales in this release than ever before, bring back Reason vets like myself, pull in countless new customers, and be in a far better position to work on any features they feel is worth working on, even the useless ones like hi res graphics and mobile crap.

Great job Propellerhead -- I decided to spring for the Studio and I don't need it at all, and many others will too.
Have you tried Vital?

Anosou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:00 pm
Anosou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 amCorrect! All REs are fully compatible with Reason Rack Plugin, so if you own them they'll work.
Can Reason Rack Plugin host 3rd party VSTs?

Can Reason Rack Plugin be used as a MIDI source, i.e. use QNG or PolyStep Players to drive Serum or Avenger?
tatanka wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm What I really wonder about how/if the great midi fx/sequencers/arp, especially the new ones in Reason 10, will work in the rack in another VST. Does midi drag and drop for example will work in another daw ?
Not in the first version, no. And we have no plans for hosting VSTs inside our VST, high inception-warning on that one. Happy to hear you're interested in using Players as MIDI FX in your DAW though, definitely a good idea.
just for sure, it's about the formats: "AU" and "AU MIDI FX" in Logic, isn't just MIDI-FX generally ;) please support both of them if it's possible (check how the mp3244 modulation processor https://dialogaudio.com/modulationprocessor/ can work under Logic)
Last edited by xbitz on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:43 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:39 pmBut now, i think they really make something good out of it. Offering the rack as VST is a great move, which surely will get them some new customers.
The question is - will people really be paying $/EUR359 for full Reason to only access the Rack VST? Or perhaps they should sell Rack VST as a separate product without Mixer and Sequencer and at reduced price of say $/EUR249 or even $/EUR199?
Reason Intro will have the Reason Rack plugin as well. That is 79 EURO only.

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/pro ... -10-intro/ (https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/product/reason-10-intro/)

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:43 pm
TBH, that was the question i've been asking myself as well. Or... whether or not people would still use Reason's sequencer, when they can have the rack in a VST host. :) Questions the guys at PH surely asked themselves though. I see this, and the VST support as quite a change in the company's direction. Which surely was the intention in the first place.

I'm curious to see how things like pattern changes and parameter automation will work with the rack VST as we have no dedicated track for every rack device anymore.

Do we have to use automation lanes where you have to dig through hundreds of parameters to find the parameter for the current Octorex slot? Will old school MIDI also work (like program changes, notes or even CCs)? If yes then this would open up Reason for a lot of foreign control surfaces.

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:35 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:14 pmI'm a bit confused about how to use Reason as a VST host in combination with another DAW.

Reason 11's Rack will be a VST that you can use as instrument or FX in other DAW :)
So if you have a Reason song file that contains VST plugins, then you can load the Reason Rack as VST plugin in your DAW and open the Reason song file?

This remark confuses me:
Anosou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 pm And we have no plans for hosting VSTs inside our VST, high inception-warning on that one.ea.

parameter automation, I like the solution of FreesStyle best at this moment
parameters can be assigned to macros (can handle N:1 parameters:macro assignments) by moving them and can handle the different ranges too
Last edited by xbitz on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Anosou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am
keel wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:48 am
Anosou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 am
keel wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am Anosou, how you can keep ignoring that high resolution graphis on every year and every release? As far as I know, the GUI is drawn by CPU, which makes it slow and laggy. Come and, add scaleable gui with GPU render, it's really time for that. It has been years already.
Believe me, we're not ignoring it. I can't say anything definite but we're acutely aware.
Then why don't you make anything about it? It has been most request feature for years. I personally was like 99% sure that it will finally become on Reason 11. But no. Same old shiet.
In the interest of honesty, it's not been the most requested feature for years. We do surveys, stalk forums, interview users, do market research and so on and while it's definitely requested, it's not the most requested feature. Doesn't mean we won't do it, but just wanted to clarify.

That aside, we're absolutely looking at it but as a company representative I simply can't say when/if we'll do it yet. Sorry!
Polls/surveys are often wrong. Mostly because you cannot force people to fill out a survey and the people who have abandoned your product probably don't want to fill out a survey. Therefore the results are skewed.

I admit it is anecdotal, however I used to use and have great interest in Reason many many years ago. But the lack of GUI scaling made me look elsewhere. It seemed, at the time and whenever I periodically checked to see the state of the product, a rather requested feature on the forums. Yet your company has been silent on the matter for years.. maybe a decade now.

It is surprising, to me, to see your comments.. so this is a change.. some discussion. Yet I have no confidence your company will ever overhaul Reason to support larger resolutions.
Last edited by VitaminD on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:26 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:35 pm

So if you have a Reason song file that contains VST plugins, then you can load the Reason Rack as VST plugin in your DAW and open the Reason song file?

This remark confuses me:
Anosou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 pm And we have no plans for hosting VSTs inside our VST, high inception-warning on that one.ea.
Seriously???

The Reason Rack will be a VST, nothing else, no note lanes, not mixer, ONLY the rack. How hard can it be to understand?

And how can Anosou's statement be confusing? You will NOT be able to host VST plugins in the Reason Rack VST, only Rack Extensions and stock Rack Devices...jeez!
Last edited by starflakeprj on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”