Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:02 pmThe feedback loop in your diagram is obviously being used to signify something other than actually routing oscillator output to it's own modulator input. Until I know what that is I can not implement it.
It is just routing the output back to the modulator input. It does not need to know the output in advance, it takes recent values, its delayed and as IOC pointed out
the mean of the two previous samples
its also filtered. And there is an envelope on the amount of feedback, which is crucial... The DX feedback oscillator is a complex beast...
A classical biquad filter also has feedback btw. thats why they can blow up...; - )
Feedback in modular environments is the most interesting aspect of them. Their tendency to chaotic outcome brings life into sounds which are not possible else-wise...
Don’t bother to recreate a DX feedback oscillator, if someone wants to load DX7 sounds, there is Dexed for free. But think about allowing feedback in general...
Of course its dangerous and you could blow up your house with it when the speakers explode, but no risk no fun...

Basically what's Tj said + in the past it allowed some more complex waves to be modulator - however this is already allowed in Fathom, if you will allow distorted and noise signal to be modulator than feedback loops are not so crucial anymore.
And of course allowing different ratios for each modulator will open so many possibilites.
As I stated many times - whether you want to add feedback loops (and what algorithm would be used) it's up to you, it's just door to some more creativity and some unpredictible sounds - for example allow feedback loop in reverb will result in some nice schimmer effects.

FathomSynth wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:02 pm I'm not adding feedback loops unless I understand what exactly it does.
Here's an SOS article that explains it best:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... modulation

The section that explains Feedback is at the very bottom before the conclusion. Part of a really good FM article series on SOS! :)

EDIT: Actually this link jumps right to the Feedback section, as I just discovered. But I recommend reading the entire article, as all the knowledge ties together:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... tion#para6

---------------------------------

Here's the link to all 63 "synth secret" articles on SOS. A lot of really great synth & sound design knowledge to absorb:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... d-on-sound

:D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

I'm gonna give a +1 to this FM talk. Fathom is my go-to synth for a lot of purposes, but the inability to use different ratios for different oscillators means I will always use FM8, Dexed, or Flow Motion for FM sounds. I legitimately can't image what opportunities it would open up if we could have real FM routing within Fathom. Hopefully it's easy to implement!

So basically use the oscillators own output as modulator into itself as a carrier, um, sort of like exactly how it is right now if FM is turned on and there are no inputs.

So yes, that would be easy, in an FM network routing the oscillator's output into it's own input would mix the default FM with the output of all other FM inputs in order to sum the total modulator signal into the carrier. Yes I could do that.

Yes, in the next release I will make all the individual ratios different.

My investment in Fathom begins to look better than my Vanguard portfolio!
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

lmao, brilliant! That quote is going up on the web site.

Sadly, many of our investments are just other peoples
opinions about things that bear our signature. Enjoying
the creation of new music is far more under our control.

Never heard the news chic say, 'Glokraw's new track
plunged 320 points, in afterhours listening'
:o :scared: :dog:

(not that there are 321 points from which to plunge :hihi: )

My music never made to an IPO :hihi:

FathomSynth wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:52 pm lmao, brilliant! That quote is going up on the web site.
:D

I've cleaned this topic up and unlocked it. Everett should be back soon.

Thanks!

keep your chin up!
all the best!!

Ben [KVR] wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:32 am I've cleaned this topic up and unlocked it. Everett should be back soon.
You're the best :tu:

So is Fathom back?

Return to “Instruments”