Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:49 pm Great software, bad owner.
???

Explain. :neutral:

Dom. Enough said.

‘If you love hardware and modular synths, Bitwig Studio may be your DAW spiritual ally incarnate.”

That’s me :)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm Dom. Enough said.
What's the problem with Dom?

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm Dom. Enough said.
Hmm? I'm a long time Live user, Dom used to work for Ableton, and I really don't know why he's a red flag for you? I'm tempted to make inappropriate jokes, I assume you have some bad experience with him. He's not an owner though, just head of support. :shrug:

I said what I said. If you've had better relations, super. I'm not making it up. Again, nothing wrong with the software. I'll bow out now.

Even if you don't like Dom for some reason, there are other founders who seem good enough to me (like Claes who released Surge source code as open source). Personally I don't have any problem with Dom. In fact I had a good friendly conversation with him here in KVR more than once! I don't know of any bad behaviour related to him.

Anyway you can read more about it here :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitwig_Studio

EnGee wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:55 pm Even if you don't like Dom for some reason, there are other founders who seem good enough to me (like Claes who released Surge source code as open source). Personally I don't have any problem with Dom. In fact I had a good friendly conversation with him here in KVR more than once! I don't know of any bad behaviour related to him.

But he made it personal. Anyways, I shouldn't have said anything. It's a very good piece of software.

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:08 pm
EnGee wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:55 pm Even if you don't like Dom for some reason, there are other founders who seem good enough to me (like Claes who released Surge source code as open source). Personally I don't have any problem with Dom. In fact I had a good friendly conversation with him here in KVR more than once! I don't know of any bad behaviour related to him.

But he made it personal. Anyways, I shouldn't have said anything. It's a very good piece of software.
Sorry to hear about that. I really don't know what to say! But let's say if I have a problem with one person that is essential part of the company, would I abandon this company or not? Hmmm, it is hard to say really! I'm glad that I'm not in your shoes :hihi:

Anyway, there are many alternatives ways to make music. Bitwig is not the alpha and omega of DAWs but it is really a great DAW especially if you want to use Linux instead of Windows or MacOS.

If I want to use an alternative to Bitwig, then the obvious choice is Ableton Live of course. They are really very similar. I love Ableton Live as well but I have to choose just one (can't have two wives in the same house! :hihi: ).

That is for Windows/MacOS but for Linux there are much fewer choices as Ableton Live is not available natively. Still I have Reaper and Tracktion 7 working fine in Ubuntu 19.04, but I 90% I use Bitwig while Reaper I sometimes like to use it. I know what people says about Reaper, but I was surprised that I can make great drums with just samples and its sampler (after seeing Kenny Gioia tutorial ). The other great DAW in linux is Renoise (a tracker but can function as normal DAW, although it has some learning curve).

Saying all this, but in the end I must say, I'm really happy that I bought Bitwig and have no problem to save a side for updating my yearly subscription because it worth it for me :D

@ Engee To add to what you said, there's also a fantastic suite of FOSS audio apps available natively on Linux, all of them having a different workflow or focusing on different strengths and balances. Linux however runs under a different paradigm and methods over its Windows or macOS neighbors, I would say if anyone is interested in checking out more of those I can recommend www.linuxmusicians.com and unfa channel at YT, he does greats tutorials.

On-topic. He seems to have had some history with him, but he wants not to further discuss about it. I suppose we could grant him that wish. Personal affairs are a delicate topic anyway.

Well, to be honest, I can't say I would use Linux for music production (as a hobby) without Bitwig!
Bitwig has most all the instruments ready and it makes things very easy in Linux. Just installed it and run it!. That's it! I didn't even bothered with Jack server as Alsa is great and stable.
All these things make you love the experience in Linux as the guys in Bitwig did their job perfectly so I just be concerned with making music ;)
I even noticed that Bitwig performs better in Linux because of the OS mostly and maybe Java is even better in Linux :hihi: I mean it is just a hybrid hard drive (one of those seagate flash HD) and it starts faster than in Windows with SSD! (in Ubuntu Studio it is even faster!!). But I will give Linux the drive it deserves soon.

@ Engee Of course! I just mentioned some other possibilities out there for people who might be interested. If you're comfy with Bitwig, that's cool! I did however wanted to highlight that other DAWs on Linux exist (as an addition to your post) and they are all available there. They have different workflows, methods and structures for what they do, all fine and excellent tools/DAWs so in case someone else might not be satisfied with Bitwig or finds it uncomfortable to work with, they have those other options. Different workflows and tastes for all sorts of different people!

My understanding of Bitwig is that the whole GUI was programmed with Java while the backend of of the thing (the audio engine and such) done with regular C++. IIRC I heard the developers first published testing versions of Bitwig using Linux and then ported it to other platforms later on. Which is pretty much a giveaway reason that Linux's support is going to stay. Java as a programming language however is a topic that got talked quite, is both loved and hated but it does makes it "easy" (or convenient) to write GUIs on it.

I really don't know exactly what parts are written in Java. But it is sure the portable parts.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bitwig is developed first on Ubuntu as they recommend it as the Linux distribution. Anyway, Linux and Java is a great match and many Java developers use it as their main OS. I believe it is just a matter of time before the boom of Linux begins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”