What's up at Plogue?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alter/Ego Bidule chipcrusher chipsounds chipspeech chipsynth MD chipsynth PortaFM sforzando

SGTVW wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:24 pm Too late for this, I already pulled the trigger on my wallet. I'm having a blast right now so absolutely no regrets :o
Looking forward to your work on the Commodore64 and FC/SFC.
Ha thanks! Yeah C64 is very advanced. We decided to push MD before for some reason but it was supposed to come out before. SFC just needs a good interface and its done. FC is tied to my hardware synth and takes longer than expected.

Cheers
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

nominil wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 pm I was fortunate to be a beta tester for chipsynth MD, and I've been chomping at the bit to say how much I love it.

It's very straightforward and approachable while being deep (mod matrix and performances/stacks) with huge potential for a variety of sounds. I can't overstate this. The mod matrix is super-powerful and easy to use.

DAC emulation brings in lovely textures and some smearing when operators have long release times. Put some (built-in) reverb on that, and you could do the next "Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks." I mean, maybe you could. That's probably still Eno's domain.

Finally, the patch randomizer having four-operators to work with can produce some interesting presets. I did a lot of patch and stack "design" for some music I'm working on, and the randomizer often gave me a good starting point of inspiration.

Those are just my favorite bits. MD is amazing.
Yes, I was just enjoying the randomizer and got lucky with 5/6 inspiring sounds in a row.

Then, PortaFM stacks are very good but the textured MD sound is something else.

Operators knobs feel a little slippery though...

waiting man wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm Operators knobs feel a little slippery though...
The ADSR knobs are really a pain because the 32 values that the chip offers of - say the Attack - are not linear, so we had to fake linearity of mouse movement with regards to the actual effect on screen and in audio. (believe me it was much worse before). Sadly its never going to feel as natural as other plugin's ADSRs which have an unlimited amount of steps.
The best is really to use the mouse scroll wheel on those and get discreet increments. This should
be an eye opener of the limitations of the hardware.

Instabuy.
It sounds freakin' awesome. I've dialed some complex, evolving bell-like pads à la Egyptrixx in minutes, and the tone is so lush.
I'd add it can be surprisingly clean depending on the overall setting.
I can already tell it's going to be all over my next tunes along some other FM flavors.
Bravo David !
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Between this and the other MD sound emulator released last week (yes I bought both), I can't quite vocalize how happy I am to never have to use that terrible VOPM interface ever again. Yikes.

Now I totally have the theme song from Black Knight 2000 stuck in my head. Yeah I know it wasn't this precise chip but close enough dammit.

davidv@plogue wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 pm
waiting man wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm Operators knobs feel a little slippery though...
The ADSR knobs are really a pain because the 32 values that the chip offers of - say the Attack - are not linear, so we had to fake linearity of mouse movement with regards to the actual effect on screen and in audio. (believe me it was much worse before). Sadly its never going to feel as natural as other plugin's ADSRs which have an unlimited amount of steps.
The best is really to use the mouse scroll wheel on those and get discreet increments. This should
be an eye opener of the limitations of the hardware.
:dog: Always forget to try the mousewheel... thanx!

kingozrecords wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:26 pm If only chipsynth's price wasn't a bit lower...
???

Thank you so much David and your team for having the chance to experience such a great synth emulation. Your complementary YT video results in having a total altered relation towards your products. I even appreciate more what you do and I am glad that we have the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your hard and passionated work.
Have joy and be sound :)

nichttuntun wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:55 am Thank you so much David and your team for having the chance to experience such a great synth emulation. Your complementary YT video results in having a total altered relation towards your products. I even appreciate more what you do and I am glad that we have the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your hard and passionated work.
Have joy and be sound :)
+1
well said.

regards,
tl.

as usual i bloody love the new Plogue synth
can the VGM stuff be loaded into MD as a playable patch or just playback?

No demo download ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

emef wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:29 pm as usual i bloody love the new Plogue synth
can the VGM stuff be loaded into MD as a playable patch or just playback?
In theory it's as easy as dragging a VGM to the plugin window and copying the channel you want to whichever layer. In practice I import Outrun's "Magical Sound Shower" and lose half an hour playing the main riff. Every damn time.

I was in the beta, totally dig this synth. It actually made me realise FM8 has been lacking a standard mod matrix all this time, and I hate the curve editor. In chipsynthMD I can set up a bunch of interesting dynamics with ease and swiftness. Also editing sounds is soo much more playful. I suspect this will be my goto FM plugin. Once you guys are done with chip synths, would you mind making a DX7 version of this? :)

mrj1nx wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:24 pm would you mind making a DX7 version of this? :)
Its been somewhat announced a few times. There is one in the pipes yes, but we need to ship a non-FM synth or two first :wink:

Return to “Instruments”