FR: "Append to End of Clip" in Step Clips.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Currently the only option is to "Append Duplicate Section", which adds one pattern at a time to the pattern sequence. I'd like to be able to stretch the clip out and have it append as many patterns as needed to fill up the whole clip.

The workflow would be like the following:

1) Add a step clip.
2) Create some patterns.
3) Stretch out the clip. The last pattern will be repeated (or the complete set of patterns if "Repeat Whole Sequence" is switched on) using virtual pattern instances.
4) Press "Append to End of Clip". The visible virtual pattern instances should all be converted into real patterns.
Last edited by fromwithin on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Is there any particular reason you aren't just enabling the loop feature on the clip (the "L" button across the top when the clip is selected) before making it longer?

Sorry, looks like that option isn't there for step clips. I don't think you need it though if you are just trying to repeat the clip?

It's for, for example, having an intro, long section, then another section. So it could be Pattern A 4 times followed by 32 of Pattern B and then Pattern C. As I'm going along creating the track, I get to a point where I want to create the 32 patterns and have to click the same button 32 times to append the clips. If I don't do that I can't add Pattern C after 32 Bs. It seems so unnecessary.

I can use a separate clip for each pattern instead, but then what's the point of having the ability to have different patterns in the step clip? Also, creating a new clip means setting up the instruments in each clip again unless I copy the existing step clip, but then I have to empty the existing pattern and delete the pattern steps. In Waveform 9, deleting the patterns crashed the program every time. It seems okay in W10, but I'm very wary of it.

It's a lot of faffing whatever method I choose.

I haven't really got into step clips in Waveform but this makes me want to try them, especially if they can implement your request which would really increase their functionality.

Sadly, step clip functionality seems to be almost completely missing from the current scripting API as well, so there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to script something for this either.

Another option that might be helpful is the ability to "fill clip with duplicates of the last pattern" - take the last pattern in the step clip and fill the step clip with explicit copies of it... or with a selected range of patterns, so that if you have patterns 1, 2, 2, 3 or something you could repeat that within the clip (1, 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 3...)

Yeah, I agree, there is room for improvement here.

I suggest taking a look at the "Blocks" feature of Reason for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... OPlD4N11vM

fde101 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:57 pm Another option that might be helpful is the ability to "fill clip with duplicates of the last pattern" - take the last pattern in the step clip and fill the step clip with explicit copies of it... or with a selected range of patterns, so that if you have patterns 1, 2, 2, 3 or something you could repeat that within the clip (1, 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 3...)
That's exactly the functionality I was asking for in my first post. The virtual patterns that get created are virtual duplicates of the last pattern. If you switch on "Repeat Whole Sequence", the virtual patterns are repeated virtual copies of the complete set of real patterns.

Return to “Tracktion”