zebra - bow sounds ?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

i'm trying to find string bow sounds on zebra. any suggestions ?
like "real" texture of gritty bow.
in massive X this can be done my adding a noise "bow" (basically a sample)
but no sample in zebra right ? so.. how would you get such a texture ?

thx.

Use the Comb Filter. It's perfect for bowed sounds. I have a few patches I can share that illustrate. Will post them later tonight once I'm home.

ho thanks that would help alot.

Sorry for delay, I'm still trying to find the patches. However, Howard Scarr has a great bowed string patch using just the Comb Filter. It's in the Zebra folder called "Leaders." The name of the patch is HS Violince. Check it out!

All right thanks for the hint ! 'll try this afternoon.

ih ok i heard it now ! yeah you'r right probably the best thing i heard on zebra... but not as exciting as massive bow sound :/ mmm i'll have to stick with massive for that maybe.

If you play with the envelope settings you can emphasize the bowing sound. Change the ENV 1 mode to v-slope and you get a slider to the right. Adjust the slider and the attack time until you get the bow sound just right.

A nice trick get a REALLY nasty bow sound with this patch is to adjust the ENV2 settings that control the Damp parameter of COMB 1. Set the attack of ENV 2 a little faster and move the v-slope slider until you get a nice scratchy warble on the attack.

I also add a noise module to mixer lane 2 and set to pink noise with HP Filter set high around 80. Set mixer lane 2 to ENV 3 and set a very short attack, with decay, sustain and release at zero. Blend that with the volume dial to taste.

Here is a sample patch with these three tweaks emphasized:
HS Violince - Take a Bow

clangorous wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 pm Here is a sample patch with these three tweaks emphasized:
HS Violince - Take a Bow
:tu:

Howard wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:46 pm
clangorous wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 pm Here is a sample patch with these three tweaks emphasized:
HS Violince - Take a Bow
:tu:
You just made my day Howard :D

Forgot to mention: There are several flavours of "mellotronish" bowed strings in the Zebratron soundset. See "Bowed" audio clip on this page...
https://u-he.com/products/soundsets/zeb ... #zebratron

Didn't have time to try your preste ;) will do tomorrow !!

Thanx clangorous ! got that sound. I can see the bow effect.
i also bouth the Zebratron and there's really some nice textured strings (and others) there for sure.
i messed up all my folders with presets :p i don't really understand the organisation with zebra2 and zebraHZ.. i'll uninstall all and try to reinstall fresh.

Howard wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:15 pm Forgot to mention: There are several flavours of "mellotronish" bowed strings in the Zebratron soundset. See "Bowed" audio clip on this page...
https://u-he.com/products/soundsets/zeb ... #zebratron
Wow Howard, those are absolutely beautiful! In fact the whole sound set is stunning. I am not trying to be a commercial here...but I had to buy it! Thank you for pointing it out as I had not previously looked at it. I'm making music tonight :violin: :band: :harp:

sylvainmoreau wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am Thanx clangorous ! got that sound. I can see the bow effect.
i also bouth the Zebratron and there's really some nice textured strings (and others) there for sure.
i messed up all my folders with presets :p i don't really understand the organisation with zebra2 and zebraHZ.. i'll uninstall all and try to reinstall fresh.
Hope you were able to get things sorted sylvain!

Filtered noise with controllable amplitude fed into the comb filter will get you some good “bowed” sounds. Alternating between positive and negative feedback can also simulate a change in “bowing position”. I’m sure that you could make some other interesting “bow noise” for exciting the combs with the extremely flexible oscillators. I like to use an fm osc modulated by bandpassed noise.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “u-he”