Anybody using Gullfoss AND Bassroom on their Master Bus?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wondering if the two together is redundant or one is undoing what the other does or if they can work together which comes first. Thoughts?

duh? bassroom is designed to fix low end issues for people who don't have good acustics

Gullfoss is what Gullfoss is.

I use both on the Masterbus: gullfoss pretty early, as that's the way the devs are recommending to use gullfoss and Bassroom just before the Limiter (again, as it's recommended at that spot).
They do very different things: one focuses on overall balance and de-masking of elements (gullfoss) while the other is taking care of getting the lows right (Bassroom).
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

adl wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:18 pm I use both on the Masterbus: gullfoss pretty early, as that's the way the devs are recommending to use gullfoss and Bassroom just before the Limiter (again, as it's recommended at that spot).
They do very different things: one focuses on overall balance and de-masking of elements (gullfoss) while the other is taking care of getting the lows right (Bassroom).
Now that was helpful and basically what I was looking for. I hadn't settled on where each should be in the chain as they relate to each other and whether one could step on the other since they both can affect the same frequencies at least to some extent. Thanks adl!
Last edited by dblock on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mxbf wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 pm duh? bassroom is designed to fix low end issues for people who don't have good acustics

Gullfoss is what Gullfoss is.
Yeah well ok, thanks.

i agree the other user's post was more helpful than mine.

mxbf wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:03 pm i agree the other user's post was more helpful than mine.
No worries mxbf. It's all good. :)

I just downloaded the demo for BASSROOM and I am experiementing with it Gullfoss and Soothe. I think Bassroom's specific Bass EQ matching (by loading in your own reference track and selection an appropriate region) could be very useful. I am working on mix now and the low end is really proving hard to nail. I took the second track on the album and used it for the reference and the used BASSROOM to get close to the EQ curve in the bottom end and it seems to be doing a nice job of it. I think it could be useful.... I just hate to spend more money on yet another EQ tool. In my case I think it makes sense to put BASSROOM before Gullfoss... Gullfoss is intended to bring out details by taming or accentuating specific frequencies so it makes sense to me that it would act on the overall mix after it has passed through Bassroom.

Scotty wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:35 pm I just downloaded the demo for BASSROOM and I am experiementing with it Gullfoss and Soothe. I think Bassroom's specific Bass EQ matching (by loading in your own reference track and selection an appropriate region) could be very useful. I am working on mix now and the low end is really proving hard to nail. I took the second track on the album and used it for the reference and the used BASSROOM to get close to the EQ curve in the bottom end and it seems to be doing a nice job of it. I think it could be useful.... I just hate to spend more money on yet another EQ tool. In my case I think it makes sense to put BASSROOM before Gullfoss... Gullfoss is intended to bring out details by taming or accentuating specific frequencies so it makes sense to me that it would act on the overall mix after it has passed through Bassroom.
I'm thinking the same thing that Bassroom might do better before Gullfoss. My logic (scary place to be) is telling me that while Bassroom's focus is on the bottom end, what it does still affects the rest of frequencies so I'm experimenting with using the range limiter on Gullfoss to avoid stepping on Bassrooms toes to see how that works...or not but just experimenting.The more I think about it though, I'm getting settled on the idea that Gullfoss is the finalizer so to speak after Bassroom.

I use Bassroom before Gullfoss. The two in combination has improved my mixes tremendously.
I usually put Gullfoss' range limiters at around 250 HZ so they don't fight over the same area.

Armadillo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 pm I use Bassroom before Gullfoss. The two in combination has improved my mixes tremendously.
I usually put Gullfoss' range limiters at around 250 HZ so they don't fight over the same area.
You're right along the lines of what I was thinking using the range limiters as a safety to making sure Bassroom has it's own space.

I also set the lower limit in gullfoss to somewhere in the 50-200 hz range. I really don't want gullfoss bringing up details in the sub-bass region. I don't have bassroom, but I will probably get it eventually. Gullfoss is the first thing in my mastering chain, and bassroom would be near the end.

DrMEM wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 am I also set the lower limit in gullfoss to somewhere in the 50-200 hz range. I really don't want gullfoss bringing up details in the sub-bass region. I don't have bassroom, but I will probably get it eventually. Gullfoss is the first thing in my mastering chain, and bassroom would be near the end.
I recently bought the Softube Chandler Unlimited and placing Bassroom after that followed by Gullfoss seems to make sense so far.

Do ny of you have examples of your mixes using these you can share? :phones:

plexuss wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:43 am Do ny of you have examples of your mixes using these you can share? :phones:

Yes ... track 2 "Election Cycle" and Track 4 "Good Man James" ... I just re-uploaded these 2 masters for my album. Election Cycle is Soothe with Bassroom... Goodman James is Gullfoss with Bassroom.

http://www.dotbmusic.ca/album/hollow-hearts/

Return to “Effects”