The Prodigy Breaks?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

an-electric-heart wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:14 am
GateWay47 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:42 am
an-electric-heart wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:33 am and on totally separate note, I saw this excellent movie a couple of nights ago. It's Scottish, and set in 1994, about doing drugs and going to raves, so it had a couple of old Prodigy songs on the soundtrack. :party:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2xteiJt94
Wow that seems like a great film, doesnt seem to be showing in America which is a downer. Seems the oldskool culture is coming back :hyper: :hyper:
I saw it in our (New Zealand's) International Film festival, so yeah, it's a festival film, you wont see it at the regular cinemas. It'll be on Netflix or something eventually.
Very cool, So i remade the Out of space break and it came out super good, how can i apply that to my own breaks?

That is much closer. Now, find the Knite Force "50 breakbeats" track and you'll be set. In that era the original breaks weren't used as much as hip hop, hip house and early rave processed versions of the breaks. Everyone had a bunch of hip hop LP's with breaks on, that's where a lot of it came from, for example early on the Amen was often the one from "Straight Outta Compton" rather than the original, with the 808 and shout stuck over it. Also, Simon Harris. Nobody mentions that stuff any more, but it was huge in the day and that's where a lot of people got their breaks from.

I don't know that much about The Prodigy but you might recognize the intro snare roll from one or more of their tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilxP8As14dM

Thin Lizzy with Brian Downey on drums.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Here's a good resource.

The Prodigy - Samples, Covers and Remixes | WhoSampled

http://www.whosampled.com/The-Prodigy/

Ha ha!

The Prodigy – ‘Breathe’: A Case Study

Primary Samples Used

Sample: Drum beat
Taken from: Thin Lizzy – “Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed” (1977)

http://abundantaudio.com/2017/07/23/the ... ase-study/

Aloysius wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 pm I don't know that much about The Prodigy but you might recognize the intro snare roll from one or more of their tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilxP8As14dM

Thin Lizzy with Brian Downey on drums.
YES!!!!! that is from Breath.

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:27 pm That is much closer. Now, find the Knite Force "50 breakbeats" track and you'll be set. In that era the original breaks weren't used as much as hip hop, hip house and early rave processed versions of the breaks. Everyone had a bunch of hip hop LP's with breaks on, that's where a lot of it came from, for example early on the Amen was often the one from "Straight Outta Compton" rather than the original, with the 808 and shout stuck over it. Also, Simon Harris. Nobody mentions that stuff any more, but it was huge in the day and that's where a lot of people got their breaks from.
Right,

I looked up the kniteforce 50 breaks and i found they're all sped up. Shouldn't they be the original so i can cut it up?

GateWay47 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm I looked up the kniteforce 50 breaks and i found they're all sped up. Shouldn't they be the original so i can cut it up?
Yeah, but like I said a lot of those tracks were made from secondary, tertiary sources not the originals. People used to rip off other rave records all the time and layer a couple of breaks together. My point with the Prodigy lift was they did very little work to get the result, they sampled the Shamen, who sampled it from Style, who probably sampled it from Paris who sampled Lyn Collins "Think", or something like that. It's this processing chain that makes it distinctive, if you listen to it against a standard Think break the difference is apparent and all versions I mentioned sound different. The point with the knite force thing is that they've all been heavily processed, most of them came off the hip hop records rather than the original breaks. That's how you get that old school sound, use the hip hop, hip house versions of breaks rather than the originals. You can cut things up a lot of different ways too, that has a big effect on the outcome. Trackers are awesome for it.

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 pm
GateWay47 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm I looked up the kniteforce 50 breaks and i found they're all sped up. Shouldn't they be the original so i can cut it up?
Yeah, but like I said a lot of those tracks were made from secondary, tertiary sources not the originals. People used to rip off other rave records all the time and layer a couple of breaks together. My point with the Prodigy lift was they did very little work to get the result, they sampled the Shamen, who sampled it from Style, who probably sampled it from Paris who sampled Lyn Collins "Think", or something like that. It's this processing chain that makes it distinctive, if you listen to it against a standard Think break the difference is apparent and all versions I mentioned sound different. The point with the knite force thing is that they've all been heavily processed, most of them came off the hip hop records rather than the original breaks. That's how you get that old school sound, use the hip hop, hip house versions of breaks rather than the originals. You can cut things up a lot of different ways too, that has a big effect on the outcome. Trackers are awesome for it.
Do you have any trackers you can recommend that i can use, i saw one i tried using which i used in a Amiga emulator which is Optamed I think its called. I dont want to just sample beats, i want to edit them and rearrange them like you said earlier in the thread. Just when i try, it sounds like a train crash.

Even Liam said "The rhythm track is often the starting point for a song. “I don’t like using the loops that everyone else uses,” he goes on, “so I try to take snippets from different loops, say just a snare and a bass drum, string them together and put extra drums on to build the beat up. You still get the live feel of the drumming – it’s not a drum machine feel. There are too many people just sampling beats. They need to be a bit more clever – they need to find beats that have never been touched before and mess around with them.”

Octamed is what I grew up on, nowadays Renoise is where it's at. Just do one break at a time to start with and get it grooving. Then change the start positions on retriggering the sample to chop it up.

I dig for new breaks constantly, the problem is having to go through the whole processing chain. It's very hard to get things sounding as tough as the Kniteforce breaks starting from the OG vinyl, easier when you've found hip hop tracks that have already done half the work for you. Thousands of old school tracks were made by sampling the 50 breakbeats track and the "Jungle Warfare" sample CD, a lot of producers used them back in the day.

Some really good tips on processing breaks in this article

Dig Your Own Crate: A Guide to Becoming a Human Record Collection by Ali Jamieson

http://alijamieson.co.uk/2015/02/16/sou ... -a-sample/

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 pm Octamed is what I grew up on, nowadays Renoise is where it's at. Just do one break at a time to start with and get it grooving. Then change the start positions on retriggering the sample to chop it up.

I dig for new breaks constantly, the problem is having to go through the whole processing chain. It's very hard to get things sounding as tough as the Kniteforce breaks starting from the OG vinyl, easier when you've found hip hop tracks that have already done half the work for you. Thousands of old school tracks were made by sampling the 50 breakbeats track and the "Jungle Warfare" sample CD, a lot of producers used them back in the day.
What do you mean by retriggering? i saw an old skool octamed vid and it seems to be a one shot and i'm wondering if that's what it means. im using ableton which doesnt give that old skool type sound without the oldskool sampler vst i have now. i like using it but i dont get how to use it and get that sped up sound with it and such.

also speaking of jungle warfare i was acutally thinking about buying it from zero g's website although 40 bucks is a little steep. :hyper:

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:12 pm The Prodigy literally just stole the drums from someone else, sped them up a bit and added a few more sounds.
Not just the drums. Even though I owned the Breeders CD, I never realised that Prodigy had nicked the guitar from there for Firestarter until relatively recently. So essentially, just pillage your music collection :D

sjm wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:53 pm
Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:12 pm The Prodigy literally just stole the drums from someone else, sped them up a bit and added a few more sounds.
Not just the drums. Even though I owned the Breeders CD, I never realised that Prodigy had nicked the guitar from there for Firestarter until relatively recently. So essentially, just pillage your music collection :D
isn't amazing how he finds these random samples like a flute for voodoo people and changes it into something amazing.

People sometimes hate people that do that but i mean i dont see it as stealing i see it as being creative.

ere2learn wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:43 pm Some really good tips on processing breaks in this article

Dig Your Own Crate: A Guide to Becoming a Human Record Collection by Ali Jamieson

http://alijamieson.co.uk/2015/02/16/sou ... -a-sample/
Nice Find :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Return to “Production Techniques”