So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:45 am
reggie1979 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:31 am Again, CONTEXT...............

Can you use it, of course. Is it being developed proper...............NOPE. Dead as a door-nail.
The big test is VST3. If they decide not to do a VST3 version, that's it, same with Absynth.
Interesting theory. Sounds logical.

With their huge cut back I doubt they have the resource power to bring Guitar Rig back from the edge of extinction. My best bet is it will be butchered and the best parts of it will be repurposed as effects for their instruments.

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:20 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:11 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:00 pmyes, so have i but as a wizard i am definitely not the hobbit around here
you're not convincing anyone, shortarse.

(people who've not met him might not know, but he's 3 foot 6)
also, i have photographic evidence that im taller than both you and bruce dickinson

20190915_161907.jpg
Yeah, and we all know you're standing on two 4x8 bricks under that cloak.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:cry:

For anyone looking to switch Neural DSP make the best amps to my ears. But heavy on processor load.
https://neuraldsp.com/products/archetype-nolly/
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:48 pm
I've got the same RME Fireface from 15 years ago, drivers are stable.
The digi cards you mention, are they the same ones that use the older PCI style? That might be beyond RME's capabilities to keep updated, because beyond that I don't see too much abandonment of anything with them. Even MOTU, the 828 driver is 2017 etc.
Yes it was the Hammerfall digi 9652 to which I was referring ... I have a pair of them in an older machine and an abandoned RME Digipad/8... . I mentioned them as RME is very highly regarded in terms of driver stability and long term support and yet they have killed off driver development when it was deemed necessary to do so.

Is it possible to support PCI based audio cards? Well, I run PCI Creamware Pulsar cards on a modern i7 multicore machine in Windows 10 so yes it is possible. I am not in a position to say it is good business to do so but I personally appreciate the effort. Those cards are 20 years old and interestingly are supported by 1 programmer.

My point wasn't to criticize RME ... I use a pair of Raydats now and they are fantastic cards. My point is that if larger developers have to make hard decisions to abandon driver development I am wary of any company especially smaller ones because I have experienced abandoned hardware across many platforms over 25 years.

As my comments pertain to NI, I am just hoping that they don't prematurely depreciate hardware given business pressures and the restructuring process. We'll see where it goes.

Thanks for chiming in.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:14 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:42 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:28 pm He clarified in a post soon after what he meant by “software”. If it doesn’t get answered it doesn’t matter I guess.
Sure, but he was not doing it to get an answer, it was a rhetorical question. I think that's the part you're missing.
So you're telling him what I meant, are you?
Rhetorical questions aren't hard to point out.

Why are you so angry? :hihi:

machinesworking wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:51 pmWhy are you so angry? :hihi:
You really are a hypocrite, arent you?

Oh wait. Rhetorical question.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 am
reggie1979 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:55 pm Let me ask you a question. Why do you guys keep on? It's been YEARS since there was an update. Why do you keep insisting that it's going to be developed further.
Has it actually needed an update in that period of time? And by that I mean needed for actual technical reasons like incompatibilities (eg with yet another Apple plugin spec update or something) rather than just to salve the superstition and paranoia of various end-users who think code somehow degenerates when the datestamp on the .dll isnt recent enough.
Yes, it's "needed" an update in that time. It's behind the curve by quite a lot. Most everything has expanded beyond it and it's not being developed by NI.

Don't get me wrong, GR was WAY ahead of it's time in the beginning. But it's fallen out of favor be a pretty strong margin and is DEAD in it's development.

Wish I was wrong, I'd LOVE to see GR 6. I'd be all over that demo, but they've simply moved past it.

Anyways, despite some unpleasantness, it's about development from my end. And from that comes a lack of commitment, which leads me to believe it's dead. Sorry you can't understand that, but I think my logic is pretty sound (now comes el-bo to tell me how wrong I am, damn, I'm sorry they banned "Polaroid" as he was the object of the trolls affection :lol: )

And also, in case anyone didn't get it, even though I post here, it's not TERRIBLY serious. Use what you use and enjoy :party:

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Good you're learning. :lol:

You knew the answer you wanted, period. The fact you couldn't be civil about it cemented it. Big difference between the response you get when someone is asking an actual question and gets new or unexpected information VS the response you get when someone isn't expecting there to be an answer for their carefully worded "question". :lol:

machinesworking wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:25 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Good you're learning. :lol:

You knew the answer you wanted, period.
You've clearly not learned, though. Knowing the answer to a question one asks is not what defines it as a rhetorical question. Rhetorical questions dont actually require an answer, because they're questions which make a point in and of themselves.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that you've still failed to provide anything other than supposed mind-reading skills as a rationale for claiming to know what my knowledge of the answer was, what information I was seeking, and why I was asking, Im sure you'll continue your hypocricy when I point out that its becoming increasingly obvious why you have objections to rhetotical questions; a plain old inability to cope with other people trying to make a point.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:48 amYes, it's "needed" an update in that time. It's behind the curve by quite a lot.
By 'needed' I didnt actually mean 'wanted by some users', I mean genuinely needed in order to function.

And Im using what is generally a distinction between update and upgrade; what you're describing would normally be an upgrade; a new major version with new or improved features. Update tends to get used for in-version technical and compatibility fixes.

I suspect that an update will definitely be needed to allow GR to work on Catalina versions of OSX for example, but as Im not a Mac user, Im unaware if its stopped working on earlier versions. That's where an update would be needed.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:21 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:48 amYes, it's "needed" an update in that time. It's behind the curve by quite a lot.
By 'needed' I didnt actually mean 'wanted by some users', I mean genuinely needed in order to function.

And Im using what is generally a distinction between update and upgrade; what you're describing would normally be an upgrade; a new major version with new or improved features. Update tends to get used for in-version technical and compatibility fixes.

I suspect that an update will definitely be needed to allow GR to work on Catalina versions of OSX for example, but as Im not a Mac user, Im unaware if its stopped working on earlier versions. That's where an update would be needed.
GR works fine on 10.12

No idea about the new OS X.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

v1o wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:04 pm For anyone looking to switch Neural DSP make the best amps to my ears. But heavy on processor load.
https://neuraldsp.com/products/archetype-nolly/
Will try.

Also interested in the kuassa ..they.on sale now. Will try demo on weekend if free time.

https://www.jrrshop.com/kuassa?dir=asc&order=name
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

i rarely let my guitars get within striking distance of Guitar Rig, but voices are another matter. i've come up with approx 100 presets based on the Traktor's 12 expansion. zoom zip
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Return to “Effects”