So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: GR works fine on 10.12

No idea about the new OS X.
NI sent out an email suggesting that Mac users don’t upgrade to Catalina as they’re not ready for it, so I would assume that GR potentially would not work in Catalina.

NI didn’t actually give any details about which products would or wouldn’t work though.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:00 pm
telecode wrote: GR works fine on 10.12

NI sent out an email suggesting that Mac users don’t upgrade to Catalina as they’re not ready for it, so I would assume that GR potentially would not work in Catalina.

NI didn’t actually give any details about which products would or wouldn’t work though.
I am not in the loop on the issues. i rarely upgrade unless absolutely needed no OS X. i am going to guess its related to opengl. but no idea. i only use OS X for music.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Shouldn’t be related to OpenGL as support has been deprecated, not removed. It’s more likely that there are still legacy 32-bit components in some products.

oops I forgot all about this thread, never knew I opened up a whole can of worms 😬

--- wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 pm oops I forgot all about this thread, never knew I opened up a whole can of worms 😬
Only seven posts in as well.

Impressive work. :tu:

telecode wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:21 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:48 amYes, it's "needed" an update in that time. It's behind the curve by quite a lot.
By 'needed' I didnt actually mean 'wanted by some users', I mean genuinely needed in order to function.

And Im using what is generally a distinction between update and upgrade; what you're describing would normally be an upgrade; a new major version with new or improved features. Update tends to get used for in-version technical and compatibility fixes.

I suspect that an update will definitely be needed to allow GR to work on Catalina versions of OSX for example, but as Im not a Mac user, Im unaware if its stopped working on earlier versions. That's where an update would be needed.
GR works fine on 10.12

Again, and I know it's a foreign concept, but it's not about it working. It's about it being DEAD in development.

Why is this so hard to explain????????????????

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:13 am You've clearly not learned, though. Knowing the answer to a question one asks is not what defines it as a rhetorical question. Rhetorical questions dont actually require an answer, because they're questions which make a point in and of themselves.
The point of a rhetorical question is not always something like "You're really dumb aren't you?" Negative assertions also qualify, posing a question as a question that you think you know the answer to is also a rhetorical question. I shouldn't have to explain this, you can look it up. Literally type in "posing a question you think you know the answer to" and guess what you get? :roll:

Unfortunately, despite the fact that you've still failed to provide anything other than supposed mind-reading skills as a rationale for claiming to know what my knowledge of the answer was, what information I was seeking, and why I was asking, Im sure you'll continue your hypocricy when I point out that its becoming increasingly obvious why you have objections to rhetotical questions; a plain old inability to cope with other people trying to make a point.
Nothing so deep psychologically, I just hate rhetorical questions in all their forms. All you had to say was, "I can't think of any software NI have discontinued development on in the last ten years?" To which I would have replied, "Hardware drivers and Controller Editor support", To which you could say "I meant plug in application software", To which to this hypothetically civil version of whyterabbyt I would have replied, "Oh good point, but I think hardware counts a bit too", but we don't live in that world.
We live in a world where when you don't get the answer you want to your rhetorical question, you start with ad hominum and other nonsense. I have zero issue with people making a point, I don't even care if we disagree. I get annoyed at logical fallacies used as debate tactics. Begging the question, ad hominem, rhetorical, straw man etc. all a waste of time. We don't even really disagree, I just don't think it's worth dog-pilling on people who think NI are looking like they're abandoning Guitar Rig. There's plenty of reason to at least wonder what's going on there.

So my old dad is thinking about starting to use software to monitor his guitar playing, amp sms and the like.

Not sure whether to recommend him GR or AT. What would you guys suggest?

machinesworking wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:11 am Literally type in "posing a question you think you know the answer to" and guess what you get? :roll:
No, you literally dont. Seems your use of 'literal' is wanting as well.
Nothing so deep psychologically, I just hate rhetorical questions in all their forms.
That's irrelevant because mine wasnt, and you claiming it was doesnt make it so.
All you had to say was, "I can't think of any software NI have discontinued development on in the last ten years?" To which I would have replied, "Hardware drivers and Controller Editor support", To which you could say "I meant plug in application software", To which to this hypothetically civil version of whyterabbyt I would have replied, "Oh good point, but I think hardware counts a bit too",
Ah, thank you very the very nice fairy story of how things would have gone if only I wasnt so 'uncivil' as to have you decide that my question was anything other than a request for information.
but we don't live in that world.
Yes we live in a world where when you decide that you havent had the type of question you like, you start you start with ad hominum, hypocrisy and other nonsense.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

double

reggie1979 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 am Again, and I know it's a foreign concept, but it's not about it working. It's about it being DEAD in development.

All the shouty capitalisation in the world isnt going to make your assertion any truer. Please provide evidence, as requested.

reggie1979 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 am
telecode wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:21 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:48 amYes, it's "needed" an update in that time. It's behind the curve by quite a lot.
By 'needed' I didnt actually mean 'wanted by some users', I mean genuinely needed in order to function.

And Im using what is generally a distinction between update and upgrade; what you're describing would normally be an upgrade; a new major version with new or improved features. Update tends to get used for in-version technical and compatibility fixes.

I suspect that an update will definitely be needed to allow GR to work on Catalina versions of OSX for example, but as Im not a Mac user, Im unaware if its stopped working on earlier versions. That's where an update would be needed.
GR works fine on 10.12

Again, and I know it's a foreign concept, but it's not about it working. It's about it being DEAD in development.

Oh, the irony...that the guy who keeps calling for "CONTEXT" fails to understand the context of that which they quoted :roll:

And you still aren't explaining anything. You are theorising that a lack of updates for what is a current, stable iteration, means that there is nothing going on behind the scenes in terms of development.

What seems to be a foreign concept to the rest of us is why you keep making definite statements without even a hint of proof/evidence.

Show us one piece of PROOF that NI aren't currently developing Guitar Rig!

Sheesh, tough room. :hihi:

samsam wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:21 am So my old dad is thinking about starting to use software to monitor his guitar playing, amp sms and the like.

What do you mean monitor his guitar playing? Keep track of his learning?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 am
samsam wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:21 am So my old dad is thinking about starting to use software to monitor his guitar playing, amp sms and the like.

What do you mean monitor his guitar playing? Keep track of his learning?
one would assume monitoring as in monitors, as in playback...

Return to “Effects”