Good News from Nomad Factory

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good Booze from Nomad Factory
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Yep, gewd bewz.

cprompt wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 pm
scatman84 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:47 amHoping that this time around they'll actually make Magma usable!
Never bought it myself but I believe the problem was when the dev died and Nomad/DontCrack took over the source code, it was a mess,
Magma was unstable and/or useless for years ,.. not just in the last time ,.. or after he died

I remember people struggeling with it back then ,.. and waiting for the fixes that never came ,.. yes, there was much hope, many words, promisses, and people still waiting

I avoided it also, but was very close to get it

Should never had been on the market it seems, does they still sell it ?

New owners, yes, but guess they have a big mess to clean, and also the fact that they just did let the old official site stand for so long, without correcting certain missleading info is not very promissing,.... I had to contact them about specs on a certain product, and they was well aware the wrong info, but saw no reason to make a little correction that should take less than a few minutes.

To me there is still a long way to go, turning Nomad into a good name, it takes more than more words, and a new web-site

Another question, aside from the non-working Magma, how unique are these plugs in general ???

Seems many users end up not using them after a while, again, in general, and just an impression I get when talking with collegs who once bought some of their plugs, during the never ending give-aways.

Its 2019 ,.. most DAW's are well-equipped from start ,.. to add some it needs to be truly unique, resizeable, well-supported, working rock-solid always, and without authorisation probs.
HM

It is good news. It will be interesting seeing what happens next.

HM wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:07 am Magma was unstable and/or useless for years ,.. not just in the last time ,.. or after he died
My writing partner and I both use Magma, (cross fingers) we have not had any instability issues so far (Both using Cubase (artist and Pro)). Though there is always that thought when we add it to a project, that this might be the time it all fails!

Looking forward to a new version!

I've just read this topic from start to last post submitted in 2019. It's been over 2 years. Can anyone share some information, if any of the missing features have been implemented? I mean something like oversampling, resizable GUIs, stability etc. Even if it actually happened for a handful of plugins, it would be good to know.

michal.ochedowski wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:10 pm I've just read this topic from start to last post submitted in 2019. It's been over 2 years. Can anyone share some information, if any of the missing features have been implemented? I mean something like oversampling, resizable GUIs, stability etc. Even if it actually happened for a handful of plugins, it would be good to know.
I got this email the other day which I guess is pretty honest about the state of play over at Nomad:

Eric here, President & CEO at DontCrack.com and Plugivery Distribution.

Today I want to share some news about the Nomad Factory product line. I should have done this months ago, maybe even years ago. The fact is that taking over Nomad Factory’s business, has been anything but an easy journey for myself and the team.

As many of you know, My friend and partner Bernie Torelli, founder of Nomad Factory sadly passed away on January 18th, 2016. That is almost 6 years ago, already...

At that time, the team and myself here, were already super busy launching our B2B audio plug-in distribution business, Plugivery.com. It has now become a leading, fully electronic, audio plug-in distribution service, providing leading audio software brands to pro audio resellers worldwide.

I’m sure you realise how difficult it was for us to include Nomad Factory, in our already busy business plan. It should have been a second team’s full time job on its own, but we managed to accommodate it into the tasks at hand...

That said, today I am thrilled to inform you, that ALL Nomad Factory products now have 64bit installers that runs flawlessly on ALL OS systems including Windows 11 and macOS Monterey. That includes Apple computer's with M1 chips (under Rosetta 2). Native versions are almost ready to launch.

There is still a lot of work to be done to upgrade all Nomad Factory’s products to a new development framework. But once done, you will see amazing new GUIs and improvements to all Nomad products. That is what pros expect from a plug-in manufacturer, right?

Sounds like they're doing their best.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

They did a good work for BBE plugins so i think they will release good update fait rnthe NF plugins
time for me to leave KVR.Bye bye ! 03/2022 :phones:

cprompt, thanks for that information. I read a lot about Nomad Factory since yesterday. It seems like it's taking them way too long to come up with these new GUIs and improvements. They mentioned something about that as early as 2016. I'm glad I'm not a paying customer. On their FB page one guy commented on Nomad Factory's promise to come up with better GUIs in the Q1 of 2020. That's quite a delay.
I have to admit that installation of Integral Studio Pack III was lightning fast and trouble free. But that was about it, when it came to positive surprises. A quick test of a few units revealed major flaw - the interface size. I can't imagine anyone with high resolution screen using these tools comfortably. I'm at 1920x1080 resolution myself and after only a few minutes I want to close the interface. Too much eye straining experience.
Ridiculously low prices seem tempting. Still I recommend installing and testing any bundle first, before any serious reading. It will save some of you some time.

michal.ochedowski wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:45 am It seems like it's taking them way too long to come up with these new GUIs and improvements.
I don't disagree with you! I remember they said when Bernie died and they took his source code, they said it was a mess, with various bits and versions spread across a number of hard disks and that it was going to be a big job trying to piece it all back together again.

As someone who's had to do that myself, it's a horrible job and can take a long time to make sure you've done it right!

yes, legacy, decade old codebases are a bitch to reason about even if they are well maintained and well organized. this is what's commonly referred to in industry as "technical debt" - someone's gotta pay it, and if you don't, the guy who comes after, will :)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Heck, I've pulled up old code of mine and wondered what on earth I was on when I wrote it... :)

I hope it goes well, they have nice sounding plugs that just need a refresh really, things like Echoes and Garbage as well as the BlueTubes stuff. Not sure how people see them in the current market (old tech in comparison), maybe a rethink on pricing/where they sit?

I dug up some of my old Nomad plugins I haven't used in a while (years!) - Bus Driver, Magnetic II and the Analog Studio Rack and was surprised at actually how good they sounded. They also worked absolutely fine in Windows 11.

I remember speaking to a friend some years ago, about problems when one is forced to go through someone else's code. He was a programmer. Even though it wasn't for audio applications, I assumed that basic principles and problems were the same. Situation was quite similar, because the author of original code passed away long time ago.
Anyway back to NF. The only thing I read about option of having resizable GUIs was quite straightforward. Mind that it was also back in 2016. When a spokesperson was asked about it, she mentioned that it's difficult to do and that it increases the overall resources needed to run plugins. At least in that manner she didn't gave the impression, that Nomad Factory was willing to do it. Even in the email presented earlier by cprompt it says "amazing new GUIs and improvements to all Nomad products". The magic word doesn't appear.
As mentioned earlier they work in Windows 11, so it's really good news for current owners. Stability first, then improved graphics etc. The thing is, I do not have any hope it's going to happen soon enough. Who has the patience to wait another two years.

More from Eric:

...both Sonic Sweet V4 and the BBE Stomp Board have been fully upgraded to our new framework which means that they now have Retina ready GUIs, bug fixes and many improved features....

So I guess they're getting there slowly.

Return to “Effects”