Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you Colin for letting me know!
@gentleclockdivider There might be a little sarcasm in my comment, but actually I have paid for my license and after having been waiting for about 3 years to be able to get the first beta since I first read about it, I think more than one year later again it should be allowed to be a little sarcastic in a side sentence with all respect to Colin and his fantastic work. ;)

Thank Soman, really appreciate your kind words.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:10 am Thanks, but I didn't take offence at all. I think Soman had their tongue firmly in cheek when they said that, and I'd be the first to admit that sometimes my development pace is glacial.
Hey at least when you finally melt you'll flood the world. And everyone will know about you. :hihi:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Architect beta 0.10.2 is now available to download for macOS, Windows, Linux 32-bit and Linux 64-bit.

- (new) Step sequencers and arpeggiators have a per-step probability, which governs the chance of the note or aux data playing.
- (new) Step sequencer and arpeggiator editors show a note's velocity, probability, and gate-length (where appropriate.)

- (new) Preset browser shows presets in either a grid view, or a sorted list view.
- (new) Presets show the last modified time.
- (improvement) Much faster preset searching and category listing.
- (improvement) Preset browser always opens instantly, even if the last browsed folder contains many presets.
- (new) Added recent file list branch to preset browser.
- (new) Preset files can be located using "Show in Finder" context menu option.
- (improvement) All UI elements can now be tabbed into, and (where appropriate) manipulated entirely with keyboard.
- (improvement) The UI element currently having keyboard focus is rendered more distinctly.
- (new) The value in `data` and `template` modules can be edited directly on the graph.

- (new) Properties can be filtered based on their name.
- (fix) Fix plug-in caching issue that could cause new instances of plug-ins to use the settings of a previously deleted instance of the same plug-in.
- (fix) Message boxes from certain plug-ins (particularly Native Instruments) are now always on top and can no longer lock up the Architect interface.
- (fix) Fix issue where certain plug-ins on Windows would only occupy a quarter of the plug-in editor dialog.
- (improvement) Colour palette selection can be made by double-clicking on an item in the swatch.
- (improvement) Lua editor has a dark theme, to fit better with the rest of the Architect UI.

- (new) Controller mappings are grouped, and groups can be closed.
- (new) Controller mappings can now be individually disabled.
- (fix) Fixed rare crash that could occur after closing a preset with a macro.
- (improvement) Swinger now accumulates the error when a note is swung to a fractional clock value, which results in more accurate swung notes over time.
- (fix) The graph module dialog will not appear if keys are pressed when the graph is locked.
- (improvement) Plug-in searches ignore leading and trailing whitespace in the search criteria.
- (improvement) Sequencers running in "play" mode will listen to events sent to their modulate inlets.
- (fix) A pattern control action is automatically generated when writing a pattern number to a sequencer's pattern inlet. Patterns can be changed just by sending a single numeric event.
- (fix) Previously selected patterns are deselected when the current pattern changes due to "follow" being enabled.
- (improvement) MIDI files exported with drag and drop will keep their current filename, rather than having a unique random name.
- (fix) The source note rote in the arpeggiator is shown as a dependency when selecting related items.
- (improvement) Loop controls in the timeline window are hiiden when the loop is being controlled by an external source.
- (improvement) The tempo and time signatures are shown as locked when they are being controlled by an external source.
- (new) Added "internal" sync mode to Architect plug-in. When this is on, Architect's timeline will override the metre of the host.
- (new) Tracks and channels are listed in a MIDI file's properties.
- (new) MIDI track names are taken from track meta data in the MIDI file.
- (improvement) MIDI files are no longer automatically split into tracks when first imported.
- (new) MIDI files can be split into individual files, one file per track.
- (new) MIDI files can be split into individual files, one file per channel.
- (new) MIDI files can be merged into a single file.
- (new) MIDI files can be merged into a single track in a single file.
- (new) MIDI files have a colour property.
- (new) MIDI thumbnails are generated in a background thread, and so importing a lot will not temporarily freeze the UI.
- (new) Meta data is shown on MIDI preview thumbnails.
- (new) Controller and pitch-bend are now shown on MIDI preview thumbnails.
- (new) MIDI thumbnails images can be enlarged.

- (improvement) Imported and split MIDI files are guaranteed to have unique names, as the [MIDI player] module uses the name to identify them
- (new) [MIDI player] module can play individual tracks.
- (new) MIDI Files can be duplicated
- (improvement) Dragging multiple MIDI or audio files at once will show a single number, rather than giant thumbnails.
- (new) Add `exists` outlet to [get element] module, which returns a boolean value. It is no longer an error to call [get element] with a non-existent key.
- (fix) Momentary buttons can be mapped to controllers.
- (improvement) The default plug-in scanner options will use a separate process for scanning plug-ins.
- (new) [write to MIDI pool] module can write multiple tracks at once, and has discrete inlets for each track.
- (improvement) MIDI thumbnails images are cached.
- (improvement) Preview thumbnails for complex MIDI files are rendered significantly quicker.
- (new) Split panels can be hidden by moving the splitter to the edge.
- (fix) Fix issue where panels could become effectively invisible by moving the splitter to the edge.
- (improvement) Arranger has separate rows for time signatures and tempo changes
- (new) Time signature and tempo changes can be added to the timeline with keyboard shortcuts, or from UI buttons.
- (fix) MIDI Clock module sends a 'continue' message after the transport position jumps.
- (fix) Confirmation dialog always appears when closing an unsaved preset.
- (improvement) Clearing scanned plug-ins requires a confirmation,
- (improvement) Scale editor UI looks better.
- (new) Custom scale list labels the intervals.

- (new) Built-in scales can now be imported as custom scales for inspection or editing.
- (new) The properties, controller mappings, scale, MIDI and audio pool windows are resizable.
- (fix) Correct shortcuts are shown on speed and count rows in step sequencer editors.
- (improvement) Timeline cursor and view returns to 1:1:001 when opening a new preset.
- (new) Can move between rows in a grid sequencers using cursor up and down keys.
- (improvement) Gate modulation values are shown as a percentage.
- (improvement) Gate modulation range has increased to 101%, to allow modulating from 0% to tie, or from tie to 0%.
- (change) [automation] module is now called [mixer parameter].
- (improvement) When step-recording, newly recorded steps will have sensible default gate and probability settings.
- (fix) Crash that would occur when zooming into the timeline at an extremely high transport position.
- (fix) Fixed various issues with sequencers and transport position-based modules when the clock is at a very high transport position.
- (improvement) MIDI song position messages are now wrapped when the position exceeds the expected range.
- (improvement) Various cosmetic UI changes and UI performance improvements.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

And I think I mentioned before, I'm going to get back to more regular, smaller beta releases - every few weeks, ideally - rather than these huge updates with epochs (!) in-between.

Per-step probability!!! :party: :party: :party:

And now to read the rest of this massive changelog. Congrats!

Thanks, much appreciated. Pre-step probability was (one of the) most asked for features, in fact.

A mind-boggling list of changes! My hat is off to you for getting all of this done, and quite quickly too.

Many thanks again for this huge update!
So much to get through.

Minor bug report: playhead speed not resyncing with transport:

1) Create a mono step sequencer. Populate it with a melody.
2) Start playback of melody.
3) Under sequencer Properties, set the Transport Duration property to something extremely slow (like 8/1) and stop transport after a note has started.
4) Set the Transport Duration property to something extremely fast, like 1/64th.
5) Start the transport again.

Current behavior: There's a large amount of silence before the sequencer starts playback again. Essentially, it sounds like the old 8 bar step is finishing its playback silently before the new Transport Duration property is applied.

Expected behavior: Stopping and starting the transport would ideally apply the updated properties right away. In this situation, I had accidentally set the Duration to low and wanted to get playback sounding again immediately.

EDIT: Ah, I see. I get the behavior that I want when I hit the |< button. Sorry for the noise!

Wow, that's an impressive change log thank you!

I take it that the factory patch library didn't make it into this release? I thought I'd read that you were planning on that but maybe I was mistaken. 

Cheers.

This is a very welcome list of additions. My "plus" are the direct editing of data in the graph view and the midi files handling improvement. Thanks Colin..

UmFuFu wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:04 am I take it that the factory patch library didn't make it into this release? I thought I'd read that you were planning on that but maybe I was mistaken. 
That's going to be focus of the 0.11 branches.

Ah... Okay thanks.

Wow, super outstanding. Shout out to "(new) The value in `data` and `template` modules can be edited directly on the graph." All the best, Colin!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Return to “Loomer”