RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Just saw the new theme/GUI. Looks good, I have no issue with the original but the new one is also nice, probably a little clearer overall.

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 am
Btw, the new Attack Booster, I guess it's a kind of a transient shaper? Any reason why it's in the voice insert section? Maybe the effects stack would be a more approriate place for it? (at least it would be possible to use it in combination with other voice inserts, like tone fuzz and such)
It's a kind of a little envelope. You can create a spiky attack with that effect. And that's also the reason why it is per voice and not a post effect. Sure, we could do it also as an extra FX for the FX chain, sending the midi trigger to it is not the problem but imagine what happens if you press first one voice and then a second one. It will boost the volume also on the second voice and that's not so good.
As voice insert the attack boost only boosts the attack of the incoming voice. makes sence, right? :-)

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 am I'm more interested in new filters/inserts/effects, modulation improvements and such, anyway.
V1.7 comes with three new lowpass filter types which are totaly different to the others. They are more like analog once (self oscillating resonance and the typical screaming effects, when you increase the resonance and amplify while moving the filter frequency between the bin). I am also very happy that we have those filters now.
Also new is the "Organic Drift" Wavetable FX. This creates some pitch drifts and I invest a lot of time to make it very authentic. It's not only a sinewave or a random glide LFO. Additional you have the warming parameter in this effect, which let the Wavetable gives more warm feeling. Together with the new filters, you can easily emulate analog sounding patches. Will show that in a video in future. Hope you like that, too.

As René already said, there are also two new Filters for the voice insert fx. 12db LP and 12 db HP and you can choose if the signal should pass them parallel or serial. The parallel once is very interesting to colorize your sound.

clipnotic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am I don't know if this possible but it would be great if the arpeggiator / sequencer would be polyphon. I don't mean the "Poly" mode which is still there but rather to type chords in the steps there. That's a feature of the Korg Radias and with that you can play chord sequences with just one finger like with midifiles! :D
It's possible in another way. You can import Midis. Of course, a fully developed melody editor would be great but why? you have your DAW and you are familar with it. Build the melody you want and throw it into the arp. Or do you miss something else?

zeph wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 pm I agree - saving of layers will be a HUGE win for workflow.

I have also requested many times - saving of FX stacks - also HUGE for workflow.

Cmon PARAWAVE - lets have these PLEASE!!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :) :) :) :tu: :tu: :tu:
Haha :D I am totaly with you, dudes. But that is not that easy and we have so many stuff on our todo. I think we will do that in future, because I need it also. Saving FX stacks more than saving layers, but give us time. First 1.7 has to be finished. We are only two persons and I am working parallel on extensions. :D
But I will never say "never". ;)

PS: Love the activity here and how you discuss with us about new features. :)

sircuit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 pm
parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:49 pm If you have a quicker way to combine a multi-layer patch into another multi-layer patch, I will listen ; )
I try, don't stone me :)

- a dedicated toggle in synth's settings to enable "stacking mode".
- with stacking disabled, everything is as before - double cliking a preset loads and overwrites the existing one
- with stacking anabled, every time a user loads a preset and does not change any parameters (jus presses play for preview) again everything as before

- with stacking anabled, every time a user loads a preset and changes sometihing (knob, deactivates a layer, any type of change) mark an internal flag with stacking mode enabled for current preset
- now with this flag marked, when the user double clicks to load a new preset, offer option: overwrite the current or load it into the first available disabled layer(s).
- maybe matrix slots would not be enough, same thing: display a message
- macro knobs (to map or to discard them) could be a real issue
- many other completely overlooked by me things could be an issue and all the above would prove to be impossible

If in a firstly-loaded preset I disable some layers, make them available for new presets to overwrite them.
If a preset is huge and not enough layers are available, just popup a message or check if you can load just the layers with active OSCs (so discard the "returns" type of layers).
...and many other things I couldnt think of as I don't have the experience of a developer :)
Wow, this sounds really complex. I fear most people wouldn't get it in this form. It's not a matter of "if" and more about "how". There is probably a more user friendly way, with preview so it's more clear what happens.
zeph wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 pmI agree - saving of layers will be a HUGE win for workflow.

I have also requested many times - saving of FX stacks - also HUGE for workflow.

Cmon PARAWAVE - lets have these PLEASE!!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :) :) :) :tu: :tu: :tu:
Yes, saving FX Stacks is noted as possible feature. Can't get it into the next version. But I'm sure it will be implemented some day. There isn't much room left for another preset selector box (for layer or FX stack loading). Therefore something like a "popup window list selection" is needed. I can imagine a group of "Wizard" features for a minor update that will enhance workflow. Layer & FX Stack load/save/browse. More SEQ/ARP editing and a preset morph/randomization/mutation. They are all similar in functionality. It just depends on priority. At the moment more people screamed "MSEG" and things like that, than workflow features.
clipnotic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am
parawave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:40 pm ]I see your problem. I don't know if you missed it, but you can right click the layer buttons, select Copy Layer go into another instance and choose Paste Layer in any of the other layers.
Great, I didn't know that this is possible between another instances, amazing! :tu: :clap:
Yeah, most users overlook this. You can also right click on modulators (ABCD) and ARP button and copy/paste them.

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 am The new multi-mode filters interest me a lot. Do you guys have access to Synapse Audio Dune 1. There is a free CM version around. The multi-mode features in that synth sound excellent. On pair with the high quality of rapid standards. I encourage a look if its possible. In particular the bottom 5, with key emphasis on the first :D
Is it a smooth blend between LP/BP/HP? I guess it's interesting for Psytrance, right? :wink:

Regarding layer / FX stack presets - Thanks for the positive comments Parawave - much appreciated :tu: :tu: :tu: :D :D :D

zeph wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:19 pm Regarding layer / FX stack presets - Thanks for the positive comments Parawave - much appreciated :tu: :tu: :tu: :D :D :D
+ 1

Mirko R. wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:36 pm
recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 am
Btw, the new Attack Booster, I guess it's a kind of a transient shaper? Any reason why it's in the voice insert section? Maybe the effects stack would be a more approriate place for it? (at least it would be possible to use it in combination with other voice inserts, like tone fuzz and such)
It's a kind of a little envelope. You can create a spiky attack with that effect. And that's also the reason why it is per voice and not a post effect. Sure, we could do it also as an extra FX for the FX chain, sending the midi trigger to it is not the problem but imagine what happens if you press first one voice and then a second one. It will boost the volume also on the second voice and that's not so good.
As voice insert the attack boost only boosts the attack of the incoming voice. makes sence, right? :-)
I see, thanks. Still, it seems a bit confusing that I have do decide if I'm going to use this or, e.g., tone fuzz or exciter, or these new HP/LP filters. They all seem to be different kind of processing so in some cases it may make sense to use more than one of them in a layer (e.g. if I want a more spiky attack and at the same time a bit of tone fuzz )

Anyway I'm very excited about all the new stuff in 1.7, already saw your videos about sync bend and organic drift, sounds great :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Mirko R. wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:50 pm
clipnotic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am I don't know if this possible but it would be great if the arpeggiator / sequencer would be polyphon. I don't mean the "Poly" mode which is still there but rather to type chords in the steps there. That's a feature of the Korg Radias and with that you can play chord sequences with just one finger like with midifiles! :D
It's possible in another way. You can import Midis. Of course, a fully developed melody editor would be great but why? you have your DAW and you are familar with it. Build the melody you want and throw it into the arp. Or do you miss something else?
Yes, but it's easier and faster to simply click steps directly in the arp instead of create them first in the DAW pianoroll, then save and then import as a midi file in Rapid. And you could do all in your DAW and wouldn't need an arpeggiator, too. But the really great concept of this synth is fast workflow and a real polyphon arpeggiator would be faster! Yesterday, I made some sequences directly in the arp and it's amazing how fast I got really great results, so I just want give some little ideas for optimation and that's no criticism! For me, Rapid is one of the best VSTs I bought in the last years and I have and bought many ... :tu:

EDIT:
Ah I forgot, at the moment at least it is faster to copy layers and set different steps in their arps instead of doing this in your DAW and with midifiles but a polyphon arpeggiator would be faster! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vmb8fOvSU

Rapid 1.7 in action. Mirko Ruta outdone himself again.
I know, many of you are not fans of one finger presets. But maan is it useful in live performances like this. Also a good demonstration of the Glitch FX on drums.

That's awesome. Really looking forward to this upcoming release.

And, to say it again, that theme looks amazing. I know this might sound shallow - but I think that theme is going to have me using Rapid more. It's really great to look at now, and (the shallow part), that makes a difference to me.

Kudos to both Parawave and Mirko.

Very nice. Would love to see a video showing how you put this together!

parawave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vmb8fOvSU

Rapid 1.7 in action. Mirko Ruta outdone himself again.
I know, many of you are not fans of one finger presets. But maan is it useful in live performances like this. Also a good demonstration of the Glitch FX on drums.
Great! And one finger presets are very good for inspiration, too! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”