Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Hello, first off, I'm new here! I'm a java programmer by day, and a musician by night. I'm trying to write an extension for my old mpd24. I watched the extremely helpful videos that Mr Jürgen Moßgraber put together on youtube, and that gave me a really good start.

The issue I'm having is that I'm not quite sure how to interact with the clips/scenes. I was expecting there to be a bank like api for clips, but it appears to hang off of the track bank itself. I'm not sure how to tell if something is in a scene already, or once something is recording into a scene how to stop the recording.

I'm going to continue experimenting, and if I come up with the solution I'll report back to this thread.

For reference, here is the codebase I'm working on.

https://github.com/whodevil/bitwig-mpd

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 pm

Ok, looks like I missed that I could get the scene bank off of the trackbank in the init. I bet this is the part I was missing.

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Oh I see, I was confusing two things, the scenes are for launching sets of clips. I thought clips and scenes were the same thing.

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Well this is confusing, gradle pulled in a version 10 of the api jar, but bitwig 3.0.3 doesn't appear to support version 10 yet. Does what's the deal with that?

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Ok, new issue. I see how I can start a clip recording, and I see how I can view if it is recording or queued for recording, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop it while it is recording.

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Looks like stopping the recording is just hitting launch again. Not sure how to stop a clip though, once it is recording or playing, it is unclear how to schedule the clip to be stopped.

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Ok, learning and posting in realtime LOL. Looks like to stop the clip from being run I either have to launch a different clip, or trigger stop on the track.

I think that's all I got for this hack session, I think tomorrow I'll try messing with the device api.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1727 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:38 am

devongleeson wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 pm
Well this is confusing, gradle pulled in a version 10 of the api jar, but bitwig 3.0.3 doesn't appear to support version 10 yet. Does what's the deal with that?
Stick with API 8.

devongleeson
KVRer
11 posts since 10 Oct, 2019

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:16 pm

moss wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:38 am
devongleeson wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 pm
Well this is confusing, gradle pulled in a version 10 of the api jar, but bitwig 3.0.3 doesn't appear to support version 10 yet. Does what's the deal with that?
Stick with API 8.
Is API 9 not very stable?

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1727 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: Help understanding the scene/clip pattern

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:49 pm

devongleeson wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:16 pm
moss wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:38 am
devongleeson wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 pm
Well this is confusing, gradle pulled in a version 10 of the api jar, but bitwig 3.0.3 doesn't appear to support version 10 yet. Does what's the deal with that?
Stick with API 8.
Is API 9 not very stable?
API9 requires Bitwig 3.0.2 and adds only 1 new function. For that you give up backwards compatibility down to Bitwig 2.4.

Return to “Controller Scripting”