Phonec 2 has been released! (Updated to v2.4)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phonec The Sound Experience Soundbank

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 pm
jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:35 pm I've just done some tests. I've got MPE turned on but the aftertouch modulation is still affecting things globally, not per note/channel.
The Aftertouch panel is for standard channel aftertouch, this is not used in MPE mode. The MPE settings are accessed on the 'about' panel. Once MPE is activated, Filter(aftertouch) and Amp(cc74) are then controlled by MPE. Click the 'A:74' switch to reverse it so that Filter=cc74/Amp=Aftertouch. The knobs above this control the levels of these parameters.

The main Aftertouch panel on the interface is not part of MPE at this moment.
Oh ok, that's really confusing because channel aftertouch is exactly what MPE uses (per channel). So now there are two channel aftertouch mod sources, the aftertouch panel (which becomes disabled I guess when MPE is activated?) and the single filter/amp aftertouch source. That's too bad. I was excited to use the aftertouch modulations per note. Ideally would be if there was another mod panel like the aftertouch panel for timbre as well but I understand that that's more work and GUI changes etc. I would have thought the aftertouch mods would work as is though. :(
Yes, when MPE is activated, aftetouch operates in a different way, so the controls for that are on it's own panel. But like I said, this is a standard implementation. I do plan to expand on it and possibly incorporate it into the main aftertouch panel, utilizing some, or all of those targets. But for now it's considered a different operation.
As a feature request - please do make the aftertouch panel work per channel when in mpe mode. It would not require any change to the GUI whatsoever. Standard channel aftertouch is exactly the same message in mpe, it's just received on every channel. So it would be confusing if you made a whole bunch of different aftertouch mod assignments for mpe (or used just a subset of the aftertouch mods) when it is in fact just standard channel aftertouch that is used for MPE. Thanks!

On a positive note - Pitch bend works well on mpe devices when in mono legato mode, which some instruments have trouble with. On fact the only other synths I’ve used that work properly in mono legato mode with mpe is cypher and equator (and bitwig instruments). So nice work getting that working.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:28 pm Thanks for the update Jack but i didnt get an e-mail about the new update. Is the new update in my account?
Yes, just click the 'account' tab at https://www.psychicmodulation.com, enter your email and you will receive a link. If you have trouble just send me an email or PM me here and I'll sort it out.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:50 pm
jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 pm
jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:35 pm I've just done some tests. I've got MPE turned on but the aftertouch modulation is still affecting things globally, not per note/channel.
The Aftertouch panel is for standard channel aftertouch, this is not used in MPE mode. The MPE settings are accessed on the 'about' panel. Once MPE is activated, Filter(aftertouch) and Amp(cc74) are then controlled by MPE. Click the 'A:74' switch to reverse it so that Filter=cc74/Amp=Aftertouch. The knobs above this control the levels of these parameters.

The main Aftertouch panel on the interface is not part of MPE at this moment.
Oh ok, that's really confusing because channel aftertouch is exactly what MPE uses (per channel). So now there are two channel aftertouch mod sources, the aftertouch panel (which becomes disabled I guess when MPE is activated?) and the single filter/amp aftertouch source. That's too bad. I was excited to use the aftertouch modulations per note. Ideally would be if there was another mod panel like the aftertouch panel for timbre as well but I understand that that's more work and GUI changes etc. I would have thought the aftertouch mods would work as is though. :(
Yes, when MPE is activated, aftetouch operates in a different way, so the controls for that are on it's own panel. But like I said, this is a standard implementation. I do plan to expand on it and possibly incorporate it into the main aftertouch panel, utilizing some, or all of those targets. But for now it's considered a different operation.
As a feature request - please do make the aftertouch panel work per channel when in mpe mode. It would not require any change to the GUI whatsoever. Standard channel aftertouch is exactly the same message in mpe, it's just received on every channel. So it would be confusing if you made a whole bunch of different aftertouch mod assignments for mpe (or used just a subset of the aftertouch mods) when it is in fact just standard channel aftertouch that is used for MPE. Thanks!

On a positive note - Pitch bend works well on mpe devices when in mono legato mode, which some instruments have trouble with. On fact the only other synths I’ve used that work properly in mono legato mode with mpe is cypher and equator (and bitwig instruments). So nice work getting that working.
Just to clarify, the reason we didn't include those parameters in MPE mode is because many of them are currently not polyphonic. So to get them to work with MPE will take a bit of restructuring. What I meant is that the main Aftertouch panel is for Monophonic Aftertouch (which was the original implementation) and MPE Aftertouch is separate because it's parameters are polyphonic. So they operate as two different functions out of necessity.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:52 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:28 pm Thanks for the update Jack but i didnt get an e-mail about the new update. Is the new update in my account?
Yes, just click the 'account' tab at https://www.psychicmodulation.com, enter your email and you will receive a link. If you have trouble just send me an email or PM me here and I'll sort it out.
Ok thanks Jack
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Man, Phonec 2 just keeps getting better and better! Superb update. This is one of the best synths out there.

We've fixed a small issue with Phonec 2.3 > 2.4 preset compatibility, plus a couple other things.
  • Fixed: Presets from v2.3 that used a Triangle waveform on the Sub Oscillator specifically were loading up as Square waveforms. This update fixes that and these presets will now load correctly. This has been corrected in the Factory Bank as well.
  • Updated: The Factory Bank has been updated so that in MPE mode, Amp now defaults to Aftertouch, and Filter to cc74. This is a more practical setup for most MPE controllers.
  • New: The Pitchbend Range has now been increased to 48. This allows full pitch slides on MPE keyboards, which usually default to the 48 range.
  • Extra: A new patchbank is included, 'Factory(MPE)', which is the same as the Factory bank, but set up for MPE use, with Pitchbend ranges set to 48, and with MPE Mode active. **This patchbank is for use in an MPE environment only. If used in a standard environment, no sound will be heard.

I love this friggin synth!

I was just curious if you know if Phonec 2 will be supported on MacOS Catalina at some point. I think you’ve said before that its a wrapper used for VST to AU.

There’s a longer list of developers not yet supporting Catalina anyways and I’m not upgrading until the dust has cleared, which from previous times has been 6+ months after release anyways.

Just taking stock of what I can if possible.

Otherwise, thank you for adding MPE!

I’m off to download. :)

Hi Jack,
I'm trying to update ,the link from fastspring says: Download Mac 2.2.1 installer Mac.
Is this correct?

Thanks
KG
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

dandezebra wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:14 am I love this friggin synth!
Yeah, amazing sound indeed

nevermind opened and see it is indeed 2.2.4
installed and updated
fwiw you might want to update the installer so it's correctly named 2.2.4 installer
Thanks
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

@kgdrum
mine says 2.4

Dave

hi Dave thanks
at my end the download link from fastspring for the installer still says 2.1 but when you open and install it says 2.4

kgdrum wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:39 am hi Dave thanks
at my end the download link from fastspring for the installer still says 2.1 but when you open and install it says 2.4
Same here but it did install 2.4 :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

The Sound Experience Soundbank by Abc Sound Design for
the Psychic Modulation - Phonec 2 Software Synthesizer

Hi! ' Psychic Modulation - Phonec ' Instrument Users, Music makers, Artists, Robots & Aliens.
Here are 128 High-Quality-Presets - a Thank-You Present for the Psychic Modulation - Phonec 2.

An Intelligent Machine Created By Human Hands, Computer System. Brain & Heart.
This Phonec 2 is definitely a great Virtual Synthesizer, Great Sound, (R)Evolutionary
Modulation Concept. Phonec 2 is a new Star in the Synthesizer Sky.

Details
- Inside the Download: 1 Expansion " Sound Experience " with 128 Presets
- Genres: Dance - Trance - New Wave - Electro - Modern Synth Music
- Styles: Arpeggios - Bass - Keys - Leads - Pads - Sequences - Effects
- Format / File Size: Soundbank (*. BNK ) 735 KB
- For: Psychic Modulation - Phonec 2
- Release Date: June 2020
- Price: Free - Present

Sonic Sirius - Synthesizer Soundsets
Freeware Soundsets for Software and Hardware Synthesizer
http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/

Royalty Free Soundset License
All ' Sonic Sirius ' Freeware Soundsets they can be used commercially in
things like movies, games, and anything else you might need a cool
sound for. You may not however redistribute them for a profit.

FREE DOWNLOAD
http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/misc.htm
Last edited by Future1313 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”