If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:03 pm I spent my evening last night installing a second copy of Windows 7 64 on a 1 terabyte drive after somehow corrupting Linux Mint 18.3 the night before when trying to uninstall the previous version of WINE to get the latest version of it. In that process it broke the Synaptic Package Manager.
Not a surprise for me. :D Can't count how often something got broken in the Ubuntu package system...

You know, Linux is a great alternative to other OS's. Not sure if i ever mentioned that before. :party:

tooneba wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:17 pm
Forgotten wrote: I couldn’t follow because it’s a random jumble of words that makes no sense...
Then go back to read them.
A vague sentence constructed from random words doesn’t make any more sense by reading it again :lol:

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 pm
Forgotten wrote: I couldn’t follow because it’s a random jumble of words that makes no sense...
A vague sentence constructed from random words doesn’t make any more sense by reading it again :lol:
You failed to undertand that by his definition stating opinion in the email is inappropriate because a few ppl were offended. The question I asked him at that point was explained by him in that context.

You added another information afterward to what no one even questioned.
Last edited by tooneba on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tooneba wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:13 pm
You failed to undertand that by his definition stating opinion in the email is inappropriate because a few ppl were offended.
You got that number for me, yet?
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:16 pm
You failed to undertand that by his definition stating opinion in the email is inappropriate because a few ppl were offended.
You got hat number for me, yet?
Word sentence order meaning irrelevant different focus point ignore.

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:20 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:16 pm
You got hat number for me, yet?
Word sentence order meaning irrelevant different focus point ignore.
Suffer will the little trolls to cause the indulging thread ,Yes!

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:27 pm Image
K8O
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 pm
Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:27 pm Image
K8O
:tu:

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:31 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:03 pm I spent my evening last night installing a second copy of Windows 7 64 on a 1 terabyte drive after somehow corrupting Linux Mint 18.3 the night before when trying to uninstall the previous version of WINE to get the latest version of it. In that process it broke the Synaptic Package Manager.
Not a surprise for me. :D Can't count how often something got broken in the Ubuntu package system...

You know, Linux is a great alternative to other OS's. Not sure if i ever mentioned that before. :party:
I've never had to reinstall Windows 7 on my main drive in almost 10 years, with Linux I've had to re-install it about 5 times..and probaly a lot more if I used it regulary, if not having to go and look up how to fix it. With Windows, it's a matter 'if' you break it, with Linux it's more like 'when' you break it... Interesting to read that even the best and most knowledgable users are not immune...from doing the same...and not just me thinking that it's my own ineptitude for making it happen... Of course, the problem is that there really is no safety nets / guards... despite the illusion that there are ones...

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... _new_user/

If only the Commodore corporation had been kept alive and not of had fallen into liquidation..., then things might have been far different in terms of market share of operating systems.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

The other thing with Linux, too, is that it is only more efficient if you compile your own kernel. If you just use the kernel as installed with your distro it will have at least as much legacy bloat as Windows or macOS and it won't feel any slicker.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:27 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:31 pm

I've never had to reinstall Windows 7 on my main drive in almost 10 years, with Linux I've had to re-install it about 5 times..and probaly a lot more if I used it regulary, if not having to go and look up how to fix it. With Windows, it's a matter 'if' you break it, with Linux it's more like 'when' you break it... Interesting to read that even the best and most knowledgable users are not immune...from doing the same...and not just me thinking that it's my own ineptitude for making it happen... Of course, the problem is that there really is no safety nets / guards... despite the illusion that there are ones...

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... _new_user/

If only the Commodore corporation had been kept alive and not of had fallen into liquidation..., then things might have been far different in terms of market share of operating systems.
Yeah I used to be a hardcore Linux user (I used to use it as my main OS, no Windows). But this right here got really annoying. Kernel regressions every damn time I updated that broke working hardware, updates that broke software. Not being to just download and install a piece of software (this was all the way back in 2006 or so). It was just annoying. Bought a Mac in 2007 and never looked back since. I'm still a Linux nerd but I don't feel the need to use it as my primary OS anymore and probably never will. Both macOS and Windows have come a long way since then.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

"I've never had to reinstall Windows 7..." Then you're damn lucky. W7 is way more robust that XP and Vista were, but obviously you visit the Interwebs and eventually that seems to get everyone in trouble. Or a bad driver, or something else. I think the best I managed on W7 was about three years, and W10 about two years though it wasn't exactly the OS's fault. I've messed up macOS as well.

I think considering the vast amount of hardware Windows has to support, it does an amazing job of being stable these days. So does macOS, but they sort of "cheat" by supporting a very limited set of internal hardware. Linux is great too. They're all wonderful so what is the big issue here? Apple being jerks? That's nothing new. Microsoft has made sketchy moves as well.

Never had the money to get even to be tempted to buy a Apple product and was never patient enough for any Linux craziness (the lack of supported software not to mention) so after Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 I've got a PC with Win95. From there till Win XP the count of BSoD, reinstalls and so forth decreased. With my actual Win7 system (my laptop is almost six years old) I've never encountered an error. I've just need one reinstall over the years but not OS failure simply my HDD broke. Don't know if it's my routine* of using my OS which helps to keep my system stable. But that's my experience.

*I use my PC for music making, internet, office stuff. When I get a new PC I remove every bit of software I do not need. Then, if needed, I update all drivers, install hardware like audio interface, external hard drive, system software like firewall, av, etc.. Then I install my apps like Notepad++, LibreOffice, etc. Then my audio software stuff. Finally I clean up the registry. To maintain my system I check if a update is really needed. I rarely update BIOS. Regularly clean the registry and temp and prefetch data. If possible I sandbox installations after my major set-up routine to keep track of what's happening (it's worth the little extra time).
rabbit in a hole

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”