Hi I am Professional Tom and here's a tutorial of secret EQ techniques. Other producers hate me for showing them to all.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This video reminds me of the promotional videos of Ableton and Native Instruments when they are forced to showcase their "superduper know-how videos" with their women's producers and the hippsters commenting "Woaaa, ​​look how she turns the knob. Please teach me, but VERY close. :o ".

Entertainment ! :tu:
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

sound wise... i LOVED the timing of the guitar part for the delay coming in. nice spread and placement even on the monotonous part... and the guitar was nice and delicate... but the delay of the guitar was perfectly placed imo and btw... "Knot Hardly" is my Limited Liability Persona :) cheers

Jay
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:56 pm btw... nice vid lol finally watched it :) cheers

p.s. best part? the blood (THAT and Wag's legs) lol that tickled me... well done
Also, I'm impressed and glad you noticed Wag's legs movement haha. I specifically added it to give him a bit more bounce.
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

ReboundAudio wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 pm This video reminds me of the promotional videos of Ableton and Native Instruments when they are forced to showcase their "superduper know-how videos" with their women's producers and the hippsters commenting "Woaaa, ​​look how she turns the knob. Please teach me, but VERY close. :o ".

Entertainment ! :tu:
I haven't seen these videos. Can you give a link for an example of this?

To see a woman doing tutorial is kinda rare, to be honest. I only saw one, it was compression with Stella from Waves. I liked it! But I got to say I don't remember much from it because I was paying more attention to Stella than to the video. Here it is:
https://youtu.be/IbIC7B4BU6g
I'm a professional and you can't deny it. If you do, you either were tricked by the League, or you are from the League.

MadDogE134 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 pm sound wise... i LOVED the timing of the guitar part for the delay coming in. nice spread and placement even on the monotonous part... and the guitar was nice and delicate... but the delay of the guitar was perfectly placed imo and btw... "Knot Hardly" is my Limited Liability Persona :) cheers

Jay
I'm so happy to hear you liked the timing there. I spent a lot of time to get this right. The reverb, delay, timing, a lot of subtle tweaking with EQ (as shown in my video, of course) to get rid of unwanted frequencies and boost the good ones and it paid off!

It's really fulfilling to hear that someone actually listened and took notes to share with the creator. It's my favourite moment of the song, too. Thanks again!

Now that I know your artist name I'll check your stuff, too!

Hey, I gave it a listen and I honestly like it.

I like it for 3 reasons:

1-its not EDM
2-it is very well engineered
3-it was very inventive

You are no Spinal Tap, but then really, who could be that good?
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, if you have time, Tom,
I would be incredibly honored if you might check out some of my stuff.
I go by the nom de plume, Taylor Swift, sometimes. :party:
ImageImageImageImage

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 am Hey, I gave it a listen and I honestly like it.

I like it for 3 reasons:

1-its not EDM
2-it is very well engineered
3-it was very inventive

You are no Spinal Tap, but then really, who could be that good?
Thank you! It's the best I could do in two days. I always try to pick up every nuance in mix and spend a lot of time with EQ. And therefore I'm happy when it pays off and people who are into engineering notice that too.

Yeah Spinal Tap is out of this world, it's honestly not a shame to be not as good. I takes more than a pro to dial to 11! Madness!

PS by the way why is it good that it's not EDM? Oversaturation?

highkoo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 am Hey, if you have time, Tom,
I would be incredibly honored if you might check out some of my stuff.
I go by the nom de plume, Taylor Swift, sometimes. :party:
Hmmm why did you choose to have an artist name of a super popular pop singer?

ProfessionalTom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:35 am Now that I know your artist name I'll check your stuff, too!
you are welcome. as for my stuff i don't do much anymore. used to perform... playing guitar and singing but arthritis (almost 60 now) has put a real damper on my guitar playing and on keys. mainly just fiddle around these days doing covers (and my own creations) i keep to myself. i quit performing after a traumatic event with my last band around '95 (drummer committed suicide) so i quit playing with anyone. when i was classified as disabled back in 2005 i pretty much just jumped across the desk so to speak and started doing mix engineering for fun and for others under the guise of Knot Hardly Productions lol but thanks anyways :) cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

I don't think I'll ever get compression, haha. Not even a sexy woman explaining it will do.

Just use a limiter or transient shaper and I'm done. :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

the biggest key to compression is deciding on or knowing ratios... how much to eat off the top for every db exceeded over the threshold imo. as for attack and release... you should be able to hear the sweet spot for attack and i usually just watch the GR meter for release. just make sure it resets or gets back down with the beats or before the next bit of audio hits the compressor. unless you are using compression for an effect that is

just my 2 cents

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:38 am I don't think I'll ever get compression, haha. Not even a sexy woman explaining it will do.

Just use a limiter or transient shaper and I'm done. :D
Are you for real? It's a useful tool, I recommend learning it. As MadDog said, just focus on the threshold and ratio to decrease the signal as much as you want. Look, let's say you have a guitar part consisting of literally only 2 notes (so a complex piece haha). The first note peaks around -10 dBfs and second peaks around -15dBfs. It's 5 dB of difference and if you want to make it less distinguishable then you can set the threshold to the lower amount, -15 dB and set the ratio to, let's say 5. This way the signal that passes above -15 dB will get attenuated 5 times. So after the process your two note guitar part will have -11 and -10 dBfs instead of -15 and -10 so the difference will be nearly indistinguishable.

Is it clearer, now?

Also don't worry, soon my compression video will be out.

MadDogE134 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:21 am
ProfessionalTom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:35 am Now that I know your artist name I'll check your stuff, too!
you are welcome. as for my stuff i don't do much anymore. used to perform... playing guitar and singing but arthritis (almost 60 now) has put a real damper on my guitar playing and on keys. mainly just fiddle around these days doing covers (and my own creations) i keep to myself. i quit performing after a traumatic event with my last band around '95 (drummer committed suicide) so i quit playing with anyone. when i was classified as disabled back in 2005 i pretty much just jumped across the desk so to speak and started doing mix engineering for fun and for others under the guise of Knot Hardly Productions lol but thanks anyways :) cheers
Damn that's rough... Both the drummer part and your arthritis. Good you found a way to still be involved in what you enjoy doing. Whether behind the mixer or the piano, music is music. :)

Cheers

Cheers big ears.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Production Techniques”