d16 announces Godfazer - Advanced modulation unit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Burillo wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:06 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:01 pm To me it's sacrilegious. I buy every D16 plugin, but I won't be buying it because of that. Not offended or anything, but I just believe it's stupid that they called it that. A VST plugin doesn't warrant slapping the prefix "God" onto it's name.
what's so special about that prefix?
I happen to be Catholic, and you don't use God's name in vain, in this case, it's to market something. Everybody has a right to do what they want, but I don't like the choice they made to name it as they did, so I wouldn't add it to my plugin collection.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

There are many gods in which people have chosen to believe or not believe in at all (eg the comic book "American Gods") plus various words that derive from "god". Isn't it somewhat presumptuous to assume that any random use of the prefix "god-" refers to a particular one?

Orbit-50 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:39 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:01 pm To me it's sacrilegious. I buy every D16 plugin, but I won't be buying it because of that. Not offended or anything, but I just believe it's stupid that they called it that. A VST plugin doesn't warrant slapping the prefix "God" onto it's name.
I happen to be Catholic, and you don't use God's name in vain, in this case, it's to market something. Everybody has a right to do what they want, but I don't like the choice they made to name it as they did, so I wouldn't add it to my plugin collection.
Well, no one is obligated to follow your specific religion, so i don't see how your religion is even relevant in this case. I would get your objection if they did that specifically to offend catholics, but "godfather" just a colloquial term that happens to have religious connotations because it has originated from religion. it's like not participating in christmas sales because they have the word "christ" in them - there are bigger things to worry about in the world :shrug:
Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:45 pm There are many gods in which people have chosen to believe or not believe in at all (eg the comic book "American Gods") plus various words that derive from "god". Isn't it somewhat presumptuous to assume that any random use of the prefix "god-" refers to a particular one?
well, technically, i don't think other religions have such a thing as "godfather", so it is plausible in this case to infer that it refers to this particular god, rather than any other gods people have come up with.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I don't think that taking the Lord's name/s in vain is associated with use of god or God as an identifier. "God" is not His name. My understanding is more hermetic, in that you would not assume his status and promote your will as His. -If you choose to follow that commandment.

Otherwise, God's names are Elohim, Adonai, YHWH - the Tetragrammaton, etc.

Common use of "God!" as an exclamation does not take His name in vain.

So I don't think that support of this product affirms the breaking of any commandments. You should be perfectly fine with this either way, Orbit-50.

Unaspected wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:48 pm I don't think that taking the Lord's name/s in vain is associated with use of god or God as an identifier. "God" is not His name. My understanding is more hermetic, in that you would not assume his status and promote your will as His. -If you choose to follow that commandment.

So I don't think that support of this product affirms the breaking of any commandments. You should be perfectly fine with this either way, Orbit-50.
that assumes that your interpretation of your religion is same as his. "if you want to know what's wrong with first baptist church, just ask the second baptist church" and all that.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:50 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:48 pm I don't think that taking the Lord's name/s in vain is associated with use of god or God as an identifier. "God" is not His name. My understanding is more hermetic, in that you would not assume his status and promote your will as His. -If you choose to follow that commandment.

that assumes that your interpretation of your religion is same as his. "if you want to know what's wrong with first baptist church, just ask the second baptist church" and all that.
Oh, I know it won't be the same. I don't have a religion.

They should rename it Glodfazer, in honour of Terry Pratchett. Problem solved.

Orbit-50 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:39 pm
Well, Catholics aren't supposed to take god's name in vain, but that's not a rule/law that applies to the rest of us. Having said that, I do think the naming of their naming of the plugin was inadvisable; at least, unless they were specifically looking to stir up a lot of controversy.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 pmI do think the naming of their naming of the plugin was inadvisable; at least, unless they were specifically looking to stir up a lot of controversy.
My p!ss is really starting to boil now :x

There is NOTHING controversial about it. Why haven't we heard about protests toward Coppola for the film name???
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mine too. This isn't HPC. There is a reason why stupid craptalk like this belongs there.

Oh noes, someone's upset chk071. :o

Who gets the naughty step? :party:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:25 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 pmI do think the naming of their naming of the plugin was inadvisable; at least, unless they were specifically looking to stir up a lot of controversy.

There is NOTHING controversial about it. Why haven't we heard about protests toward Coppola for the film name???
I don't think it should be controversial, at all, but I acknowledge the possibility that that could be the result :shrug:

And perhaps you should wait till your piss cools down before next going to the toilet :o :o

EDIT: N/M
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:29 pm Oh noes, someone's upset chk071. :o

Who gets the naughty step? :party:
Oh look who's there. The Gamma-UT troll.

Want me to send you my dirty underwear so that you have something to sniff?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:25 pm

I don't think it should be controversial, at all, but I acknowledge the possibility that that could be the result :shrug:

And perhaps you should wait till your piss cools down before next going to the toilet :o :o
It isn't even controversial in the context provided as it doesn't take the Lord's name in vain. :shrug:

Though it is obviously good marketing.

Return to “Effects”