UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:18 pm
Dillinger wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:22 pmHaven’t used phaseplant (plan to in the near(ish) future) so I’m not clear on how it performs but I can modulate between oscillators in Falcon. Easy
You cannot modulate an oscillator WITH another oscillator, at all, in Falcon. In Phaseplant, you can.
You can with the FM engine :D
You can also FM between different wavetable oscillators.
You can’t between different Synthesis types
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yes I meant between different oscillators in Falcon speak. Oscillators as parts of keygroups. Not oscillators within a particular synthesis type.

Simplistic example:

Add two Additive OSC to a keygroup, assign a square lfo modulator to the On/Off button of both and set one to the opposite direction, or use the freq shift parameter and the parametric lfo or multi-envelope modulator if you want to get creative. whatever

You are now modulating BETWEEN oscillators, which is what I responded to. (by having them on the same keygroup effected by the same modulator with an opposite sign).

If cross mod is being referenced or If that isn't what Phaseplant does, I don't know, I will take your word on that.

Dillinger wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:32 pm Simplistic example:

Add two Additive OSC to a keygroup, assign a square lfo modulator to the On/Off button of both and set one to the opposite direction, or use the freq shift parameter and the parametric lfo or multi-envelope modulator if you want to get creative. whatever

You are now modulating BETWEEN oscillators, which is what I responded to. (by having them on the same keygroup effected by the same modulator with an opposite sign).

If cross mod is being referenced or If that isn't what Phaseplant does, I don't know, I will take your word on that.
It's possible to switch between oscillator sources in the same manner in Phase Plant, you could even do it at audio rate if you so wished.
Always Read the Manual!

WordClock wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:59 pm I do take a little issue with the modulators in things like Kontakt/Falcon/Bitwig etc. that involve 127 notches because in music notches aren't 12 tone scales and the notch sequencing makes no sense at all for anything but quasi random music unless you quantize the notch sequences and then edit to taste if needed. Note based step input is a must and I do say that Reason 10/11 and previous to those has many modules including one's with 16-32 note pattern switching and note step recording. It's known that the plugin company HY-Plugins produces the best current Euclidean sequence on the market for computers.
WTF?! :? :o
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Lucastyle wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm What does falcon offer to someone who owns komplete for example?

it seems that every type of synthesis is weaker than the NI counterpart, for example the Fm8 is 10 times better than the fm engine in falcon, also massive X has better filters and more phase distortion algorithms that the wavetable oscillators in falcon, and the fact that you can not modulate between oscillators like in phaseplant just makes falcon look like a simplified and self contained version of komplete where you can stack sounds and layer them but if you already own Ableton Live this is already possible in quite a similar manner or am I missing something here? can someone help me please.

I hate the fact that there isn't a demo although falcon is using ilok already which is horrible in the first place, also it seems that there is low amount of videos online, the only ones I've found useful are the Dan Worrall videos which are excellent but judging a synths value that way is really difficult as you can get the feel of using the software that way and there still some questions unanswered.
I was in your same quandary. I have Komplete. The deal for Falcon 2 was quite interesting. There seemed to be significant overlap between Komplete and Falcon 2. Why would I need both? I narrowed down my reasoning to justify Falcon 2 by this logic:
  • I needed a synth that had relatively strong granular synthesis. I would need to purchase Straylight to have that level of granular synthesis in Komplete. That would cost $149. Abynth 5 has granular capabilities but I have not been able to tame granular with Absynth 5. Falcon 2 has notable granular abilities, at least from what I have heard from preset surfing through the standard presets, as well as the possible free Ether Fields and Cinematic Shades expansions. Also, Falcon 2 can run on my old i7. Straylight would not run properly.

I needed/wanted some specific retro piano samples. I found them with UVI THE ESSENTIAL VINTAGE DIGITAL KEYS. Purchased separately, that would be $79./list]

$149 plus $79 is pretty much equal to the $244 cost to enter the Falcon 2 garden. I made the jump. Due to limited time, I have only able to preset surf so far, but I am quite pleased with my Falcon 2 purchase. I hope this information is helpful.

HTT wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:57 pm
Lucastyle wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm What does falcon offer to someone who owns komplete for example?

it seems that every type of synthesis is weaker than the NI counterpart, for example the Fm8 is 10 times better than the fm engine in falcon, also massive X has better filters and more phase distortion algorithms that the wavetable oscillators in falcon, and the fact that you can not modulate between oscillators like in phaseplant just makes falcon look like a simplified and self contained version of komplete where you can stack sounds and layer them but if you already own Ableton Live this is already possible in quite a similar manner or am I missing something here? can someone help me please.

I hate the fact that there isn't a demo although falcon is using ilok already which is horrible in the first place, also it seems that there is low amount of videos online, the only ones I've found useful are the Dan Worrall videos which are excellent but judging a synths value that way is really difficult as you can get the feel of using the software that way and there still some questions unanswered.
I was in your same quandary. I have Komplete. The deal for Falcon 2 was quite interesting. There seemed to be significant overlap between Komplete and Falcon 2. Why would I need both? I narrowed down my reasoning to justify Falcon 2 by this logic:
  • I needed a synth that had relatively strong granular synthesis. I would need to purchase Straylight to have that level of granular synthesis in Komplete. That would cost $149. Abynth 5 has granular capabilities but I have not been able to tame granular with Absynth 5. Falcon 2 has notable granular abilities, at least from what I have heard from preset surfing through the standard presets, as well as the possible free Ether Fields and Cinematic Shades expansions. Also, Falcon 2 can run on my old i7. Straylight would not run properly.

I needed/wanted some specific retro piano samples. I found them with UVI THE ESSENTIAL VINTAGE DIGITAL KEYS. Purchased separately, that would be $79./list]

$149 plus $79 is pretty much equal to the $244 cost to enter the Falcon 2 garden. I made the jump. Due to limited time, I have only able to preset surf so far, but I am quite pleased with my Falcon 2 purchase. I hope this information is helpful.
I don't really know how falcon compares to Ableton granulator II in terms of granular synthesis but I already have that, can someone that has both and experience in granular synthesis weight in to clear any doubts?

The Ableton presets are quite weak. The program has not been effective for me. Granted, I am pleased with and appreciative of what is a free, one-person project, Granulator. Falcon 2 sounds to me, judging from presets, a quantum leap or two above Granulator 2.

Improvising live on video with some of the patches I contributed to the Falcon Factory library 2.0 - these sounds only use the new additive oscillator introduced in Falcon 2.0

https://youtu.be/qKsSSQk642w

HTT wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm The Ableton presets are quite weak. The program has not been effective for me. Granted, I am pleased with and appreciative of what is a free, one-person project, Granulator. Falcon 2 sounds to me, judging from presets, a quantum leap or two above Granulator 2.
Yeah granulator presets are pretty basic and sparse, but I find it hard to believe that falcon is that much better, Granulator has all the futures you would want from a granular synth if not all of them, none of them are stellar but they sound fine.

I feel that falcon vs granular is like comparing Fm8 vs Ableton's operator, Operator is pretty basic when you compare it to fm8 but it has a sound and it has its own advantages, like phase reset and rotation of the oscillators, better filters and you can draw waves I wound say fm8 is way better than operator in term of sound, they are just different set of features.

Theres so much overlap between tools today for us spoiled musicians, It's hard justifying buying synth just for a few new features :hihi: man this is really hard with out a DEMO :x , what up with this policy, are they ever going to release a demo? the digital sensations UVI library was a great way for me to take notice of UVI eve do Im not completely sold on all of them. but to take the next step I would like to see and try for my self if I gel or not with this synth.

I think I'm noticing some weird behavior with closing the editing windows when right-clicking on a selected tab to pick another effect. I don't recall it working like this, but in either case it is slowing down workflow considerably. See GIF:

It's very annoying. Please fix :)

Dillinger wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:32 pm Simplistic example:

What EvilDragon is talking about is using one oscillator to modulate another at audio rate, which Falcon can't do. Your example shows two oscillators being modulated by an lfo, which isn't the same thing. Phase Plant and Fathom can do this; I'm sure there are others.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Bugfix Update out (fast as ever)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:45 am I think I'm noticing some weird behavior with closing the editing windows when right-clicking on a selected tab to pick another effect. I don't recall it working like this, but in either case it is slowing down workflow considerably. See GIF:

It's very annoying. Please fix :)
i don't have this behavior. The edit screen stays open when right-click to change the fx

YES! in the 2.0.1 update, this is broken.. :x

DocAtlas wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 am ...Your example shows two oscillators being modulated by an lfo, which isn't the same thing...
I’m so glad your here to tell me what I mean. :clown:

Return to “Instruments”