Pigment 1.2 released...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Igro wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:12 am Hi Razza, I will check this. I thought Amp 1 env is hardwired and can't be unassigned.
so i finally remembered to look at this after work. You're right Env 1 is hardwired. The way I'd been working around this was just to turn env1 attack all the way down and sustain all the way up, turn the osc sections' volume knobs all the way down and use different envelopes to modulate the volume knob per oscillator engine.

For the most part that should let you set up different envelopes for the different osc sections. just make sure the env1 release time is as long as the longest release on the other envelopes.

Does that solve the problem?

Razzia wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:31 am
Igro wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:12 am Hi Razza, I will check this. I thought Amp 1 env is hardwired and can't be unassigned.
so i finally remembered to look at this after work. You're right Env 1 is hardwired. The way I'd been working around this was just to turn env1 attack all the way down and sustain all the way up, turn the osc sections' volume knobs all the way down and use different envelopes to modulate the volume knob per oscillator engine.

For the most part that should let you set up different envelopes for the different osc sections. just make sure the env1 release time is as long as the longest release on the other envelopes.

That's what I said, but apparently he didn't understood.

Some more details to achieve that:

1. Oscillator Volumes must be set to 0 (seems counterintuitive, but it's the way it is).
2. VCA envelope Attack 0, Decay 0, Sustain 1.00 (max sustain), Release equal to the biggest release of the other two envelopes. That's the "neutral" settings I was referring to.
3. Env 2 assigned to Osc 1 Volume with a modulation intensity of 1.
4. Env 3 assigned to Osc 2 Volume with a modulation intensity of 1.
5. Set Env 2 and Env 3 to settings acording to what you want to achieve.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:08 pm

1. Oscillator Volumes must be set to 0 (seems counterintuitive, but it's the way it is).
2. VCA envelope Attack 0, Decay 0, Sustain 1.00 (max sustain), Release equal to the biggest release of the other two envelopes. That's the "neutral" settings I was referring to.
:clap: :clap: You hacked that synth. Thank you very much! :hyper:

The only thing I changed int his setup is that I set the VCO Amp to ADR slope. Otherwice without realesing the key the sound would sustain indefinitely, even with ENV2 and 3 sustains set to zero.

Thanks to Razzia too. :tu:
Last edited by Igro on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Igro wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm

You're welcome :)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:09 pm
Igro wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm

You're welcome :)
Unfortunately, this method has a big drawback. The second Envelope (when the first is acting as an intermediary), will sound nothing like if the first envelope was used. Try to load two instances of Pigments and set them to default INIT preset (Template > Default). In the first Pigment use the VCO Env and in the second Pigment use the second Envelope, just like you suggested earlier. It won't be possible to recreate the same Init sine patch. They will sound very differently.
(I discovered this while redoing the snare with the method you provided, and was never able to achieve the same results as if the first VCO envelope was used).

Igro wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:51 pm Unfortunately, this method has a big drawback. The second Envelope (when the first is acting as an intermediary), will sound nothing like if the first envelope was used. Try to load two instances of Pigments and set them to default INIT preset (Template > Default). In the first Pigment use the VCO Env and in the second Pigment use the second Envelope, just like you suggested earlier. It won't be possible to recreate the same Init sine patch. They will sound very differently.
(I discovered this while redoing the snare with the method you provided, and was never able to achieve the same results as if the first VCO envelope was used).
I will check that with the default patch, as you said, and will get back to you.
Fernando (FMR)

Igro wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:51 pm Unfortunately, this method has a big drawback. The second Envelope (when the first is acting as an intermediary), will sound nothing like if the first envelope was used. Try to load two instances of Pigments and set them to default INIT preset (Template > Default). In the first Pigment use the VCO Env and in the second Pigment use the second Envelope, just like you suggested earlier. It won't be possible to recreate the same Init sine patch. They will sound very differently.
The envelopes are identical. The variation you're hearing is due to the oscillator volume being scaled in decibels whereas the VCA seems to be scaled linearly. You should get pretty much the same response using Evelopes 2 and 3 as you do with 1 by setting their decay curves to linear (zero).

I think the problem resides in the oscillator volume modulation intensity. To get an amplification of around 0 dB as it is by default in the VCA, you need to set the envelope modulation amount to around 0.65/0.70

If you set the modulation amount to 1, you get an amplification way higher than 0 dB. You also have to set the envelope segment curves for both envelopes 2 and 3 as you had initially for the VCA, to get the exact same behavior. I tested here and I got pretty much the same sound.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”