If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:lol:

:lol:

A vacationing penguin is driving his car down the coast when his engine starts smoking badly, fortunately he's front of a service station so he pulled in.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and so he gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the sevice station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

The penguin says "look pal, tell me what's wrong with my car and leave my personal life out of it"
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:53 pm Where are you seeing a 5K display for less than $1300?
He's not. It's called selective reasoning, among other things.
"I don't need a 5K monitor so I'm not including it in the price.." Also who the hell works with a 1440 monitor anymore?? 1920x1080 is what my 27" LCD from 10 years ago is?? :hihi:

I get making comments about Apple overpricing and I agree, but at least be freaking reasonable about your criticisms? Everyone has to pick a team and act like they're the lords answer to classy computing or thrifty spending.. :roll:

I don't pretend to know what a 5k monitor is vs. a 401k, but a quick google had some well under apple's 1300 buck mark.

Before anyone gets their skirt feathered ( :hihi: ) I have no idea what a 5k even is. Just reporting what I saw.

Oh, and unless the apple one is propitiatory, you could still build a PC with better specs than that imac and just have the 5k, or no?

Ah, the resolution mess. There are some cheap 4K UHD (3840 by 2160--yes, there's no 4 in front) displays, but once you get to Apple's you're talking 4096 by 2304 for 21-inch 4K (DCI 4k is 4096 by 2160), and 5120 by 2880 for 27-inch 5K. macOS needs this a lot more than Windows because of the "realistic" way they do fonts. Windows 10 looks sharper on my 2560 by 1440 iMac than macOS does on the 5K. Except of course for the fuzzy way W10 scales for high resolution.

The Apple displays are in the upper echelon as far as quality is concerned and displays vary wildly in said quality. Generally, according to price.

Yes, you could definitely build a faster Windows machine for less money than you pay for a Mac. All I said was that if you price comparable Windows/Mac machines allow for the higher resolution display and Thunderbolt, both of which are very nice, if not essential. A Windows PC with the same specs all across the board won't be much cheaper, but you have the option to reduce the price by choosing less expensive components that you deem less important or don't care about (or already have) which is great.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:53 pm Where are you seeing a 5K display for less than $1300?
He's not. It's called selective reasoning, among other things.
"I don't need a 5K monitor so I'm not including it in the price.." Also who the hell works with a 1440 monitor anymore?? 1920x1080 is what my 27" LCD from 10 years ago is?? :hihi:

I get making comments about Apple overpricing and I agree, but at least be freaking reasonable about your criticisms? Everyone has to pick a team and act like they're the lords answer to classy computing or thrifty spending.. :roll:
Machines I'm seeing a trend here where you like to state what other people can or can't do. Yes, if I was uninformed about displays and thought it would be a good idea to buy a 5k display at 27" I could find them cheaper than $1300 just do a 5 second search. It would be a shitty experience compared to 1440p @144hz, but who cares it has all the buzzwords with an apple logo on it amiright? Regardless, no one builds monitors that I'm aware of, you may want to re-read my original statement about building vs buying.

Furthermore, 1440p @ 144hz is not only the most optimal resolution and refresh rate for the 25-32" range, but superior in all ways compared to any other resolution at that size - again I'm not asking anyone to agree I know this as fact - feel free to browse my many other threads on the subject and learn, or don't. :tu:
Have you tried Vital?

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 pm Ah, the resolution mess. There are some cheap 4K UHD (3840 by 2160--yes, there's no 4 in front) displays, but once you get to Apple's you're talking 4096 by 2304 for 21-inch 4K (DCI 4k is 4096 by 2160), and 5120 by 2880 for 27-inch 5K. macOS needs this a lot more than Windows because of the "realistic" way they do fonts. Windows 10 looks sharper on my 2560 by 1440 iMac than macOS does on the 5K. Except of course for the fuzzy way W10 scales for high resolution.

The Apple displays are in the upper echelon as far as quality is concerned and displays vary wildly in said quality. Generally, according to price.

Yes, you could definitely build a faster Windows machine for less money than you pay for a Mac. All I said was that if you price comparable Windows/Mac machines allow for the higher resolution display and Thunderbolt, both of which are very nice, if not essential. A Windows PC with the same specs all across the board won't be much cheaper, but you have the option to reduce the price by choosing less expensive components that you deem less important or don't care about (or already have) which is great.

Hey, I don't have 5k to spend on a machine, maybe I'm just jelly :hihi:

This thread is a piece of work though, I think everyone can agree on that :lol:

Hink wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:51 pm A vacationing penguin is driving his car down the coast when his engine starts smoking badly, fortunately he's front of a service station so he pulled in.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and so he gets a big dish of ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands he makes a real mess trying to eat with his flippers. After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the sevice station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

The penguin says "look pal, tell me what's wrong with my car and leave my personal life out of it"
Ha Ha !

Very good !

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:54 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:09 pm Yeah, they are way to expensive for a DAW. I think though apple is good for video/post/etc are they not? Still unreasonably priced though. The new desktops are CRAZY expensive too.
The new desktops are for tasks that traditionally require render farms. They aren't geared towards home studios that's for sure. The 2019 Macbook Pros on the other hand are ridiculously powerful for home studios. Six and eight core laptops that compete well with desktops.

I'm planing in the future on getting a PC desktop as a VEP slave to a Macbook. I'm also planning on posting in these threads with righteous firm conviction as to platform merely based on what computer I'm in front of when this happens! :hihi:
Things aren’t that simple anymore. Sure 2019 MacBook Pro is powerful for being thin form factor laptop but not comparable to desktop as desktop market was shocked by AMD Zen2 which is 80% faster when comparing top of their line. Practically speaking Mac Pro is supposed to be used for the purpose that can’t cover enough by this consumer desktop. Mobile CPU < Desktop CPU < Server CPU. Personal computer market has been evolving around this paradigm and it won’t change.

"This thread is a piece of work though, I think everyone can agree on that" Agreed. ;-)

I agree with all these disagreements.
:wink:

I miss BeOS...
:roll:

Ooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Last edited by BlackWinny on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm Macs are expensive, but as I said, if you put together a Windows PC with the same components and specs, including display, you're not paying that much less and in some cases more. I just went through this. But you can of course, put together a much faster Windows PC for the same amount of money if you cheap it out on the display. Mac Minis aren't a particularly good deal. BTW, I use a NUC for some stuff and run primarily Windows on my older iMac which I inherited. Before that, I was using Windows machines exclusively and perfectly happy.

As to the original topic. We'd all adapt. But I don't think it's going to be an issue, because of the Mac's inertia in the industry and for better or worse, ridiculous or not, many Mac users tend to distrust Windows. Also, Macs are attractive machines. Even when I was all Windows I would admit that. My Miata corners better than a Porsche, but it doesn't look nearly as good doing it. ;-)
Porsche comes with good components but Mac doesn’t. Sometimes it’s even worse than Miata.
-> Google: apple banned products flight

tooneba wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:17 am -> Google: apple banned products flight
...and this is related to this discussion...how...?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”