Vendors allowing license transfers

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glovesave39 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 pm I searched this thread and saw only one lonely past about Sound Radix, so here is my recent experience. IF you bought plugins from them that later got upgraded to their Radical Bundle, even though the licenses for those plugins are not part of a locked ilok group, nor is there mention of limitation on their site about plugins in their bundle, they will deny your license transfer request if you try to sell a single plugin that is now part of the bundle.
Generally, if you upgrade a single license to a bundle license, you can't sell the single license separately which is understandable as you received a discount due to owning the single license.
In your case it seems as if you had multiple individual licences which complicates things.
If you had a larger discount due to owning multiple individual licences then I'd expect them all to be linked to your bundle license so can't be sold individually.
So what exactly is your situation?

agharta wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm
glovesave39 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 pm I searched this thread and saw only one lonely past about Sound Radix, so here is my recent experience. IF you bought plugins from them that later got upgraded to their Radical Bundle, even though the licenses for those plugins are not part of a locked ilok group, nor is there mention of limitation on their site about plugins in their bundle, they will deny your license transfer request if you try to sell a single plugin that is now part of the bundle.
Generally, if you upgrade a single license to a bundle license, you can't sell the single license separately which is understandable as you received a discount due to owning the single license.
In your case it seems as if you had multiple individual licences which complicates things.
If you had a larger discount due to owning multiple individual licences then I'd expect them all to be linked to your bundle license so can't be sold individually.
Not looking for a reply, just providing general information. Moral of the story, check with Sound Radix before actually listing your plugin for sale here. Kind Regards

glovesave39 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:40 pm
Not looking for a reply, just providing general information. Moral of the story, check with Sound Radix before actually listing your plugin for sale here. Kind Regards
It would be more useful if you gave specific info rather than general info as otherwise we can't distinguish between vendor issues and buyer issues which are very different things.
Unless you are very clear that this isn't just down to ignorance on your part it's best not to point fingers.
I can't tell from the limited info you shared what the actual situation is here which is why I asked you a question.
Your lack of response in clarifying leaves me in the position to think that they are innocent until proven guilty.

Now I see why people don't post here in an effort to maybe spare someone else some pain later on down the road. I will try to explain - all of the licenses in my ilok account from Sound Radix were not part of a group (locked or not locked) - they were individually listed - and had no overt indication that they were part of any group. Sound Radix acknowledged that there was a limitation in their licensing when they moved from non-ilok to ilok that caused this in my account. There is also nothing on their site that explains that plugins from a bundle cannot be sold individually, and coupled with the individual ilok licenses, made it seem that it was possible or allowed. Whether that is their issue or my ignorance (or both), that is irrelevant. I have no problem to solve or bone to pick with Sound Radix, I have been working with Nir to resolve and he has been a pleasure to talk with.

The point I was trying to make with my post, and one that I will continue to make, was that for people to reach out to Sound Radix before posting a plugin for sale here (or anywhere) to make sure that they get approval beforehand. Nothing more intended, nothing less.

So much for trying to help people out based on my experience. I will not engage further in any debate in this thread, I'd rather spend time making music. Best of luck to you.
Kyle
agharta wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm
glovesave39 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:40 pm
It would be more useful if you gave specific info rather than general info as otherwise we can't distinguish between vendor issues and buyer issues which are very different things.
Unless you are very clear that this isn't just down to ignorance on your part it's best not to point fingers.
I can't tell from the limited info you shared what the actual situation is here which is why I asked you a question.
Your lack of response in clarifying leaves me in the position to think that they are innocent until proven guilty.

Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Deleted as answer was found elsewhere

Has Positive Grid recently changed their transfer policy? I've noticed a bunch of Positive Grid sales lately and, frankly, even account takeovers scare me with them under their listed policy as you need to contact them to change even your email address and they essentially say that if they catch any funny business they'll invalidate the account.

I mean, they even have this policy on software that comes with hardware (cannot transfer to new owner "due to our transfer policy").

I'm certainly not trying to spoil anyone's party as I would love to be able to purchase at least a couple of the listings here, but after reading their terms I got major cold feet. :scared:
Blue Phase Music

[deleted by user]
Last edited by quietzone on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quietzone wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:30 pm
Blue Phase Music wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 am Has Positive Grid recently changed their transfer policy? I've noticed a bunch of Positive Grid sales lately and, frankly, even account takeovers scare me with them under their listed policy as you need to contact them to change even your email address and they essentially say that if they catch any funny business they'll invalidate the account.

I mean, they even have this policy on software that comes with hardware (cannot transfer to new owner "due to our transfer policy").

I'm certainly not trying to spoil anyone's party as I would love to be able to purchase at least a couple of the listings here, but after reading their terms I got major cold feet. :scared:
Was on the same boat as you last week seeing the offers here and contacted them with some specific questions regarding license transfers (including explicitly saying I was thinking about buying some Positive Grid stuff second hand on KVR) and got back:

"Hi,
Thanks for writing to us,

All I can tell you is that we can transfer the licenses from one account to another.

We have no comments on private transaction, and we do not interfere neither.

Mike
Positive Grid Support"

So it looks like you can go ahead :tu:
Wow! Thank you! :tu:
Blue Phase Music

cybran wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 pm
FabienTDR wrote:If you're living in the EU, or making biz with a EU company, all these restrictions have no validity, terms can be safely ignored. I wonder a bit why so many customers are willing to accept any restriction on how to use and resell their own property (the license to unlimited usage is their own property and no more in the possession of the party that sold the license! I guess it's very similar in the US too!).
Consequences

This decision does not mean only that software developers cannot prevent second hand sales of their software by their European licensees. It means software licence agreements and all their terms and conditions (not just the one prohibiting transfer) can be ignored by European courts if the licence period is indefinite, and probably even if it is tied to the lengthy period of copyright ­­­in Europe - 70 years after death of last surviving programmer. Such a licence will be regarded as a simple sale and sales of personal property cannot be tagged with conditions on how the property can be used.

This means, for example, that if a licence for software to be downloaded has an indefinite or long period then the usual restrictions or obligations placed on a licensee as a condition for granting the licence such as number of servers, server location, confidentiality, security, field of use, termination for breach will all be unenforceable.
Quoted from from here: http://www.lexology.com/library/detail. ... 8afd8b3380

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120 ... cant.shtml

In my humble, layman opinion, this also severely questions the practise of license transfer fee pay-walls. Especially when specifically sized to prevent the customer to resell.

An important exception is renting/subscription based licensing. These type of licenses don't affect property. Think about it next time you compare the costs of subscription vs classic models! ;)

@mementus: Just saw you posted the same link already. Indeed it is worth being discussed.
I live in the EU. Does this mean I can sell my 8Dio products without getting into any trouble?

I wonder the same. Anybody gone this way?

[deleted by user]
Last edited by quietzone on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Search just a minute ago revealed no entry of the developer below. Hence, my addition...

Kilohearts: Free! Both buyer and seller must have accounts.

So xfer doesn't allow transfers now? Can't find any information.
Edit: found an answer in neighboring thread :dog:

I can't find information on how transfer of Cubase Elements works. It's Elicenser, not a dongle. I can't find any mentioning of transfer fees, only that it's possible to transfer. is it really free?

Afaik you can only transfer it after you have moved it to an usb dongle ...and than it's free (just delete the dongle from your steinberg account).

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”