One Synth Challenge #129: Lith by Soda Devices (TheNeverScene Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lith

Aw shucks, you're too kind! It was just a bit of mindless noodling for velocity effect. You, on the other hand, are already into some serious pad stuff - love that! Still, thanks so much :)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

photonic wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:04 pm Running it under Win7 32 bit, because the 64bit file stoped download, due to a Trojaner problem.
Could someone please confirm if there is a trojan issue in the 64-bit version, as Photonic commented.

Downloaded 64 bit win vst2 and vst3 versions in chrome - no alerts or messages. Scanned on PC with AVG-free: no alerts. I am running 64bit vst2 in windows.

I have the 360 total security (free version) on my PC. This protection software gave me the alert. Today I could download the 64bit on my old laptop, where I do not have the 360 installed. I remember that I saw similar alerts with ZIP files from the net from time to time with the 360. Maybe it is a misinterpretation from 360.

After that I tested the 64bit version on my Win7 64bit PC, with Reaper as DAW. Again I had the same problem with hanging notes. Every note I play, which has a certain sustain in the env, is playing forever. After playing some notes, the synth crashes and gets silent as long as I load another preset. So I have to quit this month!

See you in december!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

I think, there was something weird with how Reaper deals with "note off" events from keyboards. I forgot exactly what it was, but it was a Reaper weirdness. I think, I solved that in Lord of the Springs at the time. Danged... if somebody can imagine what I'm talking about, now's the time to speak up! :roll: ...not like I'm sure, if I will invest the time this month, but I will keep an eye on this thread, see what Soda might do?! :hyper: :pray:

Hello Soda and welcome to the OSC - and thanks for letting us use and abuse Lith!

A few early notes on the AU version:

1) when the UI is open, Logic ProX controls don't work in the background. I don't know if this is easy to fix, but it requires a click out of the interface to record or play, which is a little bit of a pain.

2) How do you assign midi controls? It does not seem to be intuitive.

3) the right click modulation scheme is great - very intuitive and easy for workflow.

Thanks again for participating, by the end of the month you will likely hear songs from the synth that go beyond your wildest expectations -- we have a very creative and competent group of composer/producers here!

..hope it's ok, if I jump in on 1) of yours, in case Soda hasn't dealt with it, yet: In the windows messaging routine you have to forward the respective key message, such as SPACE, as long as you don't need it in your GUI, like when you're not in a number string gadget. Just resend the key message to the host. I've done that in mine and it works beautifully!
It's been AGES since I even looked it my old code, but I think it was this inside vstgui/lib/platform/win32frame.cpp:

Code: Select all

case WM_KEYDOWN:
			{
				VstKeyCode key;
				key.virt = translateWinVirtualKey (wParam);
				if (key.virt)
				{
					if (key.virt == VKEY_SPACE)
						SendMessage(win32Frame->getParentPlatformWindow(), message, wParam, lParam);
					if (pFrame->platformOnKeyDown (key))
						return 0;
				}
				break;
			}
on 2) it seems like Ctrl "Will be the Midi Learn area", which tells me that it's not yet implemented. :shrug:

I'm really happy to welcome me and Lith.
Thank you for the person who gave me an opinion on the problem and the person who made the preset.

At the present time, I recognize that there are 4 major problems mentioned.
1) CPU Usage.
2) Trojaner problem.
3) Recall parameters issue.
4) Keyboard issue.

1) I have some ideas for improving CPU load. I don't know how much I can deal with this month, but I think this is the biggest problem, so I will allocate the most resources.
Thanks to Taron for the technically valuable reference.

2) Trojaner problem,
In fact, EULA and TOS need to be prepared. But I'm not ready yet.
I think this will be after next month.
There may be an alert, but it does not contain malicious code and does not communicate with the outside.

3) There is no doubt that there are problems with recalling presets, This is also a very big problem. Make sure to fix it.

4) Well, keyboard input won't pass through on Mac.
I also feel this is inconvenient. That's the case with other plug-ins, right?
Please give me a little time as I will consider how this can be done.

RichardSemper wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:26 pm Downloaded 64 bit win vst2 and vst3 versions in chrome - no alerts or messages. Scanned on PC with AVG-free: no alerts. I am running 64bit vst2 in windows.
Thanks Richard, Photonic and SodaDevices. :)

Must say, 18 instances in, Lith is surprisingly gentle on CPU. I have a bit slower latency (256 samples) than my normal setting, and I'm doing fine.

Two very taxing instruments - the old e-piano and a Juno-style string patch. Those aside, the CPU meter is dipping around the 10% mark with 12-14 instruments rolling at the same time. I did not see that coming after the first few hours - colour me impressed!
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

SodaDevices wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 pm 4) Well, keyboard input won't pass through on Mac.
Maybe you could have a look at the iPlug2 code, it lets keyboard input pass through fine on Mac.

schiing wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:53 pm Two very taxing instruments - the old e-piano and a Juno-style string patch. Those aside, the CPU meter is dipping around the 10% mark with 12-14 instruments rolling at the same time. I did not see that coming after the first few hours - colour me impressed!
I'm glad that you've check a lot.
I must do my best to reduce your electricity bill.
z.prime wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:38 am
SodaDevices wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 pm 4) Well, keyboard input won't pass through on Mac.
Maybe you could have a look at the iPlug2 code, it lets keyboard input pass through fine on Mac.
Oh, that's good news. I will check it.
Yes, it is based on iPlug2.

SodaDevices wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:57 am I must do my best to reduce your electricity bill.
I should probably pay your electricity bill - this is a lovely instrument! :D

Here's a WIP version of my entry, still going to make the latter half more interesting and improve the transition and the mix if I have time. Feel free to use this as my final entry if I don't post another one :D I didn't really like the synth at first but ended up getting some usable sounds out of it in the end, especially since I started mostly using Bitwig modulators instead of internal modulation. The unique twin PWM knobs and FM oscillators were responsible for a lot of the sounds for this track.

EDIT: See below for final version
Last edited by ilmai on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

...aaaaand I'm done. Here's my entry for this month, looks like I was in a more creative mood than usual and I got it done fast. I think I could have made this into a better track but not within the rules of this competition.

https://soundcloud.com/ilmai/soar

Made in Bitwig 3.0
Using 10 instances of Lith

Bitwig FX:
3x Compressor
1x Delay-4
2x Reverb
1x Tool
A bunch of modulators.

3rd Party FX:
2x Cocoa Delay
1x Sonic Anomaly Unlimited