Both VST2 and VST3 SlickEQ GE in Cubase 9.5 problem

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to use simultaneously both versions in Cubase 9.5 Win7 but only VST3 is recognized. Do you think it can be fixed?

No. Cubases hides the VST2 when VST3 is detected.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

...which is why Cubase sucks balls. :)

FabienTDR wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 pm No. Cubases hides the VST2 when VST3 is detected.
Pity... I asked because I have other plugins that show both versions in Cubase.
Anyway, I'll just keep using VST2 then and hope for a change in the future.

geroyannis wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 pm
FabienTDR wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 pm No. Cubases hides the VST2 when VST3 is detected.
Pity... I asked because I have other plugins that show both versions in Cubase.
Anyway, I'll just keep using VST2 then and hope for a change in the future.
This relates to plugin IDs, Cubase hides the VST2 if a VST3 exists having the same ID. Same ID technically means you can assume to get exactly the same audio results (i.e. full recall).

Some plugin manufacturers use different IDs between their formats, and sometimes on certain updates. Problem is, this makes them fully incompatible (normally, projects allow being recalled both in 32bit and 64bit, but only when plugins really use the same ID across all formats. Same is true between VST2 and VST3. It's a feature!).
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

I have plenty of plugins with VST2 and VST3 versions, that shows both on Cubase 9.5.
Why would anyone use both if they are 100% compatible anyways? Just remove VST2 version from scanned folders.

If ID is different, I think no other plugin devs sets the same ID for both VST2 and VST3? Others apperently think there are reasons to separate them by ID, why? Maybe because there can be issues when using VST3 sidechaining and trying to open that with VST2 that doesnt have that feature.. ? Ie they can not be 100% compatible.
Last edited by cnt on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:08 am ...which is why Cubase sucks balls. :)
Other hosts do it too... Studio One also hides some VST2's, when the VST3 is present. Don't really know why or when, but, it happens.

Edit: Ah well... should have read up. :oops:
FabienTDR wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:48 pm This relates to plugin IDs, Cubase hides the VST2 if a VST3 exists having the same ID. Same ID technically means you can assume to get exactly the same audio results (i.e. full recall).

I'm really thankful when developers maintain the plugins IDs when releasing VST3 versions of their VST2 plugins. It makes the transition between formats painless, old songs open without problems, and even .vstpresets saved with the VST2 versions are fully compatible. I can't find a single reason, from an user point of view, to implement it in a different way (i.e. separating IDs which forces users to maintain a "Legacy" folder for those old VST2 versions).

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”