MULAB free version

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The goal of MuLab Free would not be to convince MuLab Free users to buy MuLab Full (MuLab demo is sufficient), but to help spreading MuLab by more users who use it, who share projects, presets, videos, etc. So it could be a win-win: Users getting a powerful modular DAW to play with for free, MuLab getting more attention on social media etc.

make sense.

I haven't read through all the responses here, but my initial reservation is that you might become inundated with requests like "can you put this feature in M6 please/or fix this please" when M8 already has it. That would drive me nuts if I were a dev.

Otherwise M6 as a freebie will definitely entice new users to MuLab, and they'll probably buy the full version eventually to stick with what they know.

Congrats on the GUI changes and options in M8. Nicely done :tu:

mutools wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm The goal of MuLab Free would not be to convince MuLab Free users to buy MuLab Full (MuLab demo is sufficient), but to help spreading MuLab by more users who use it, who share projects, presets, videos, etc. So it could be a win-win: Users getting a powerful modular DAW to play with for free, MuLab getting more attention on social media etc.
I am not so sure many users want/need a modular DAW. I think such DAW's are and always will be a niche.

e-crooner wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:37 pm I am not so sure many users want/need a modular DAW. I think such DAW's are and always will be a niche.
Bitwig may not agree with this assessment.

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 pm
e-crooner wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:37 pm I am not so sure many users want/need a modular DAW. I think such DAW's are and always will be a niche.
Bitwig may not agree with this assessment.
What is Bitwig's market share? And do people really use the modular stuff in it? I have been using Mulab for years, but after the first couple of days I gave up on the modular level. But I kept using the DAW because it is affordable and has a simple GUI.

I use the modular features of both Mulab and Bitwig every day. I find it intuitive for me to build my sounds from the ground up, rather than use pre-built devices.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:33 pm I use the modular features of both Mulab and Bitwig every day. I find it intuitive for me to build my sounds from the ground up, rather than use pre-built devices.
But I doubt you are the rule. It is probably more like with Linux vs Windows.

Why do you use Mulab when you have Bitwig?

I also use the modular features every day. It seems the most natural approach to me. And very powerful is the ability to easily modify and customise anything and everything.

I also use plenty of vst's - in One-Synth-Challenge we have a different synth every month. Remarkably few vsts have had any issues running in mulab, and they seem to integrate very well.

The real advantages of using mulab in my opinion are its very powerful modular system, ease of use and light footprint.

e-crooner wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:51 pm But I doubt you are the rule. It is probably more like with Linux vs Windows.
Never said I was a rule. However, modular has it's home in other major DAWs as well. Max4Live , FLS Patcher, Reason's Rack, and Studio One has a path bay now. There is definitely a target audience for modular architecture.
Why do you use Mulab when you have Bitwig?
Why do you use both Reaper and Mulab? I use them both for my different workflows. Bitwig is more mainstream production (when I feel like composing). Mulab is more of a sound design sandbox (sequencing, synthesis, sampling, etc...). Yes, both DAWs can do the others' job, but the workflow is what entices me to use them for different tasks.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

mutools wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm The goal of MuLab Free would not be to convince MuLab Free users to buy MuLab Full (MuLab demo is sufficient), but to help spreading MuLab by more users who use it, who share projects, presets, videos, etc. So it could be a win-win: Users getting a powerful modular DAW to play with for free, MuLab getting more attention on social media etc.
I believe the three goals you describe -- to share MuLab projects, presets, and videos on social media -- are the right ones. In my own use-case:

1. I learn MuLab best by taking apart demo projects;
2. I find MUX presets in MuLib continually innovative; and
3. I learn new MuLab workflows through other user's videos.

However, in this forum I read no comments that price is an obstacle, but many threads on VSTs, so no evidence a free-without-vst version will achieve those goals.

How can we create and share more projects, presets and videos on social media? For example, is it possible to:

1. Use Soundcloud to show and share projects that may include VSTs?
2. Use Facebook to share 8-second videos on each preset?
3. Use YouTube to bring together all the user videos in one place?

I think online sharing of user creations builds on the strengths of MuLab. Thus, in the future MuLab could, for example, enable keystroke macros, midi scripting, or dsp with python so users could share different types of presets.
Last edited by Michael L on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

mutools wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:50 am If the world is missing a good free music DAW, then isn't that a good reason to go for it?!
And wouldn't MuLab Free help in getting MuLab more known?
Just asking unbiased.
I don't know. Has it worked in the past?

xalama qo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:23 pm I haven't read through all the responses here, but my initial reservation is that you might become inundated with requests like "can you put this feature in M6 please/or fix this please" when M8 already has it. That would drive me nuts if I were a dev.

Otherwise M6 as a freebie will definitely entice new users to MuLab, and they'll probably buy the full version eventually to stick with what they know.

Congrats on the GUI changes and options in M8. Nicely done :tu:
A notice should be provided to include this info. That way users of M6Free would know the drawbacks and limited support.

The topic title of this thread might be a bit misleading, i have no intention at all to release a MuLab 6 Free.
IF there would be a new MuLab Free (that's still undecided) then it would be a MuLab 8 Free.

In any case MuLab 7 Free still is available here: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/legacy-versions/

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts on the MuLab 8 Free idea. I'm reflecting on it.

Return to “MUTOOLS”