One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Next OSC: VCV only, no DAW allowed?

All the talk about limitations in this thread must have scared my subconscious - I'm already way past my instance record with Lith this month, and I'm only halfway through!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

ilmai wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:31 pm Next OSC: VCV only, no DAW allowed?
:hihi: :tu:

schiing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:52 pm All the talk about limitations in this thread must have scared my subconscious - I'm already way past my instance record with Lith this month, and I'm only halfway through!
I was thinking that it's funny timing to have this discussion because you'll need something akin to IBM's Watson in order to get more than 10 instances out of this month's synth.

Local Man wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm
schiing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:52 pm All the talk about limitations in this thread must have scared my subconscious - I'm already way past my instance record with Lith this month, and I'm only halfway through!
I was thinking that it's funny timing to have this discussion because you'll need something akin to IBM's Watson in order to get more than 10 instances out of this month's synth.
Haha, This is the wrong thread, so I won't go into detail, but once I adjusted my system a bit it's actually fine! Over 50 instances running, no bouncing, at an acceptable CPU load.
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm... I won't go into detail, but once I adjusted my system a bit it's actually fine! Over 50 instances running, no bouncing, at an acceptable CPU load.
Amazon Compute bill for the month: $26,500

schiing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm ...
Haha, This is the wrong thread, so I won't go into detail, but once I adjusted my system a bit it's actually fine! Over 50 instances running, no bouncing, at an acceptable CPU load.
You can also bounce tracks to audio.

mclstr wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 pm
schiing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm ...
You can also bounce tracks to audio.
Yeah, I made an inquiry about that. I always assumed that you had to bounce entire tracks, but I re-read the rules, and Richard confirmed that you can indeed bounce parts separately, like this: track1 / bars 1-8; track1 / bars 9-16; etc. I could think of workarounds, but it makes the workflow a lot easier when you don't have to bounce everything in one go.

(of course, you still can't bounce a single kick to get a consistent sound, though - that's clearly stated in the rules)

Also: Busted, z.prime! :oops: Now I don't feel like such a prude anymore.

Voted!
Although if time permits I will try to do another pass and leave a bit more feedback as well.

Interesting discussion about OSC rules/limitations going on here.
I think it's not really possible to have rules that aren't somewhat open to interpretation ...
And imo that's better than having rules that are possible to work around by using tricks no one would seriously use in "real life".

At this time, for me personally the value in the OSC is mostly educational.
It's been very insightful to work with just a single synth at a time, and I'm always impressed by what you guys all manage to do given the same limitations.
With that in mind, having special months every now and then with modified rules, commercial fx (even if I don't have any), or whatever else, still sounds good to me. The current rules feel like a reasonable default to me though.

Voted!

A lot of great tracks this month, showing the huge potential of the synth and of its users as well!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Voted!

Really good tracks in the contest :tu:
Thanks to everyone who left a feedback, very appreciated and useful for the next tracks :hyper:
I've learnt a lot of things during this contest and I'm very happy of it. I'm currently using OB-Xd in my own tracks: this means that it passed the stress test and that I still want to use it :D :D :D

Voted!

I haven't voted yet. Zarf and me would like to vote separately. However, we wouldn't like to give 1 point to our track twice, because that would put our track into a slight disatvantage. Is it okay if Zarf puts it on 1 pt because he submitted it, and I put it on an "average 3"? If not, we can just average our votes and vote with just one account.

Carl_saved wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 pm I haven't voted yet. Zarf and me would like to vote separately. However, we wouldn't like to give 1 point to our track twice, because that would put our track into a slight disatvantage. Is it okay if Zarf puts it on 1 pt because he submitted it, and I put it on an "average 3"? If not, we can just average our votes and vote with just one account.
Absolutely not! That is in violation of Rule 96.372 Section 72 Revision 2.947. Ones for the both of you! :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:33 am Absolutely not! That is in violation of Rule 96.372 Section 72 Revision 2.947. Ones for the both of you! :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:
Thanks for the clarification! Now that is some proper knowledge of The Law! Gotta have my respect
:hail: :hail: :hail: :P :P :P :P :D

Return to “Instruments”