One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ilmai
KVRist
397 posts since 25 Aug, 2016 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:31 am

Next OSC: VCV only, no DAW allowed?

User avatar
schiing
KVRist
369 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 am

All the talk about limitations in this thread must have scared my subconscious - I'm already way past my instance record with Lith this month, and I'm only halfway through!

User avatar
z.prime
KVRAF
1776 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:23 am

ilmai wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:31 am
Next OSC: VCV only, no DAW allowed?
:hihi: :tu:

Local Man
KVRian
661 posts since 31 May, 2017

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 am

schiing wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 am
All the talk about limitations in this thread must have scared my subconscious - I'm already way past my instance record with Lith this month, and I'm only halfway through!
I was thinking that it's funny timing to have this discussion because you'll need something akin to IBM's Watson in order to get more than 10 instances out of this month's synth.

User avatar
schiing
KVRist
369 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 am

Local Man wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 am
schiing wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 am
All the talk about limitations in this thread must have scared my subconscious - I'm already way past my instance record with Lith this month, and I'm only halfway through!
I was thinking that it's funny timing to have this discussion because you'll need something akin to IBM's Watson in order to get more than 10 instances out of this month's synth.
Haha, This is the wrong thread, so I won't go into detail, but once I adjusted my system a bit it's actually fine! Over 50 instances running, no bouncing, at an acceptable CPU load.

User avatar
z.prime
KVRAF
1776 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:34 am

schiing wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 am
... I won't go into detail, but once I adjusted my system a bit it's actually fine! Over 50 instances running, no bouncing, at an acceptable CPU load.
Amazon Compute bill for the month: $26,500

mclstr
KVRist
245 posts since 13 Dec, 2016 from Tucson, AZ, USA

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am

schiing wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 am
...
Haha, This is the wrong thread, so I won't go into detail, but once I adjusted my system a bit it's actually fine! Over 50 instances running, no bouncing, at an acceptable CPU load.
You can also bounce tracks to audio.

User avatar
schiing
KVRist
369 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 am

mclstr wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am
schiing wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 am
...
Haha, This is the wrong thread, so I won't go into detail, but once I adjusted my system a bit it's actually fine! Over 50 instances running, no bouncing, at an acceptable CPU load.
You can also bounce tracks to audio.
Yeah, I made an inquiry about that. I always assumed that you had to bounce entire tracks, but I re-read the rules, and Richard confirmed that you can indeed bounce parts separately, like this: track1 / bars 1-8; track1 / bars 9-16; etc. I could think of workarounds, but it makes the workflow a lot easier when you don't have to bounce everything in one go.

(of course, you still can't bounce a single kick to get a consistent sound, though - that's clearly stated in the rules)

Also: Busted, z.prime! :oops: Now I don't feel like such a prude anymore.

tomx2188
KVRer
21 posts since 13 Mar, 2019 from Austria

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:43 pm

Voted!
Although if time permits I will try to do another pass and leave a bit more feedback as well.

Interesting discussion about OSC rules/limitations going on here.
I think it's not really possible to have rules that aren't somewhat open to interpretation ...
And imo that's better than having rules that are possible to work around by using tricks no one would seriously use in "real life".

At this time, for me personally the value in the OSC is mostly educational.
It's been very insightful to work with just a single synth at a time, and I'm always impressed by what you guys all manage to do given the same limitations.
With that in mind, having special months every now and then with modified rules, commercial fx (even if I don't have any), or whatever else, still sounds good to me. The current rules feel like a reasonable default to me though.

User avatar
photonic
KVRian
539 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:37 am

Voted!

A lot of great tracks this month, showing the huge potential of the synth and of its users as well!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

User avatar
katalany
KVRer
6 posts since 15 Oct, 2019

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Voted!

Really good tracks in the contest :tu:
Thanks to everyone who left a feedback, very appreciated and useful for the next tracks :hyper:
I've learnt a lot of things during this contest and I'm very happy of it. I'm currently using OB-Xd in my own tracks: this means that it passed the stress test and that I still want to use it :D :D :D

mlilley2001
KVRist
87 posts since 18 Oct, 2015

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 am

Voted!

Carl_saved
KVRist
169 posts since 17 May, 2013

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:18 pm

I haven't voted yet. Zarf and me would like to vote separately. However, we wouldn't like to give 1 point to our track twice, because that would put our track into a slight disatvantage. Is it okay if Zarf puts it on 1 pt because he submitted it, and I put it on an "average 3"? If not, we can just average our votes and vote with just one account.

TheNeverScene
KVRian
661 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Carl_saved wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:18 pm
I haven't voted yet. Zarf and me would like to vote separately. However, we wouldn't like to give 1 point to our track twice, because that would put our track into a slight disatvantage. Is it okay if Zarf puts it on 1 pt because he submitted it, and I put it on an "average 3"? If not, we can just average our votes and vote with just one account.
Absolutely not! That is in violation of Rule 96.372 Section 72 Revision 2.947. Ones for the both of you! :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Carl_saved
KVRist
169 posts since 17 May, 2013

Re: One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (Voting Started!)

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:44 pm

TheNeverScene wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:33 pm
Absolutely not! That is in violation of Rule 96.372 Section 72 Revision 2.947. Ones for the both of you! :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:
Thanks for the clarification! Now that is some proper knowledge of The Law! Gotta have my respect
:hail: :hail: :hail: :P :P :P :P :D

Return to “Instruments”