Babylon Synth by W.A Production

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
JoeCat
KVRian
1329 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:20 pm
...It's why my father wasn't allowed to sing in the shower - he could find 50 notes in an octave.
Is this an original quote? If so, hats off - i laughed so hard I pee'd a little. Plus - that's my vocal prowess in a nutshell!

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8888 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Babylon Synth by W.A Production

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:12 pm

muki wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 pm
here's something i found that maybe might help getting into microtonality a little bit:
Quotes like "enamoured with the process of writing the music..." and "fascinated by music" say it all. It's all esoteric garbage for train-spotters. He also seems to be a bit of an attention whore but that is possibly just his age.

Moreover, it's stuff we all do every day anyway. e.g. Who doesn't detune oscillators by a few cents to create a richer tone? What they are talking about in the video is the same kind of thing and doesn't require any special features in an instrument.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

GeneralQ
KVRer
4 posts since 10 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 am

So I bought this one and the outher cheap synth union by soundspot.
I made a very simple demo comparing the two: https://soundcloud.com/win10/babylonvsunion
The Melody repeats each bar. Everytime it repeats the synths switches.
0:01 - 0:03 Babylon
0:03 - 0:07 Union
0:07 - 0:11 babylon
0:11 - 0:15 union
and so on and so on.....

The Track: Leads - 9 Voices of unison, about 70% detune, osc 2 saw 1 voice a bit reverb and delay
Bass - osc 1 saw osc 2 triangle lowpass filter long decay envelope and a bit distortion
I tried to get them as close as i could. Didn't worked out to well but you can get an idea of how those synths sound.

My Thoughts:
Unoion Sounds cleaner/softer while babylon sounds harder/dirtyer. I like the bass more of babylon the filter sounds better to me. For the unison detune union is good the spread seems to go further. I think both synths can be useful in different use cases.

From the useability viewpoint i prefer babylon. Union requires a lot of tab switching while babylon does not. Union has two filters that can only run in parralell mode which is weird. Also it lacks some features like mono voicing modes (portamento/legato) and glide time. Or the gui is so messed up that i didn't find it. Babylons gui is more thought through. But the developers seemed to love dropdown menus. I would have prefered a cutoff know on the reverb instead of the hz dropdown on the reverb.

I think both synths are a bargain right now but not worth their full price.
Babylon has better oscs and more(usefull) features and a better gui while union has better sounding fx and a better better sounding unison.
Just my thoughts on them.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8888 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 pm

I reckon that's a pretty good assessment.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

plexuss
KVRAF
3430 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 pm

GeneralQ wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 am
So I bought this one and the outher cheap synth union by soundspot.
I made a very simple demo comparing the two: [snip]

My Thoughts:
Unoion Sounds cleaner/softer while babylon sounds harder/dirtyer. [snip]
Cool comparison track! I also agree with your assessment! :phones:

Return to “Instruments”