Babylon Synth by W.A Production

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Babylon

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 am ...It's why my father wasn't allowed to sing in the shower - he could find 50 notes in an octave.
Is this an original quote? If so, hats off - i laughed so hard I pee'd a little. Plus - that's my vocal prowess in a nutshell!

muki wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 amhere's something i found that maybe might help getting into microtonality a little bit:
Quotes like "enamoured with the process of writing the music..." and "fascinated by music" say it all. It's all esoteric garbage for train-spotters. He also seems to be a bit of an attention whore but that is possibly just his age.

Moreover, it's stuff we all do every day anyway. e.g. Who doesn't detune oscillators by a few cents to create a richer tone? What they are talking about in the video is the same kind of thing and doesn't require any special features in an instrument.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

So I bought this one and the outher cheap synth union by soundspot.
I made a very simple demo comparing the two: https://soundcloud.com/win10/babylonvsunion
The Melody repeats each bar. Everytime it repeats the synths switches.
0:01 - 0:03 Babylon
0:03 - 0:07 Union
0:07 - 0:11 babylon
0:11 - 0:15 union
and so on and so on.....

The Track: Leads - 9 Voices of unison, about 70% detune, osc 2 saw 1 voice a bit reverb and delay
Bass - osc 1 saw osc 2 triangle lowpass filter long decay envelope and a bit distortion
I tried to get them as close as i could. Didn't worked out to well but you can get an idea of how those synths sound.

My Thoughts:
Unoion Sounds cleaner/softer while babylon sounds harder/dirtyer. I like the bass more of babylon the filter sounds better to me. For the unison detune union is good the spread seems to go further. I think both synths can be useful in different use cases.

From the useability viewpoint i prefer babylon. Union requires a lot of tab switching while babylon does not. Union has two filters that can only run in parralell mode which is weird. Also it lacks some features like mono voicing modes (portamento/legato) and glide time. Or the gui is so messed up that i didn't find it. Babylons gui is more thought through. But the developers seemed to love dropdown menus. I would have prefered a cutoff know on the reverb instead of the hz dropdown on the reverb.

I think both synths are a bargain right now but not worth their full price.
Babylon has better oscs and more(usefull) features and a better gui while union has better sounding fx and a better better sounding unison.
Just my thoughts on them.

I reckon that's a pretty good assessment.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

GeneralQ wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:19 pm So I bought this one and the outher cheap synth union by soundspot.
I made a very simple demo comparing the two: [snip]

My Thoughts:
Unoion Sounds cleaner/softer while babylon sounds harder/dirtyer. [snip]
Cool comparison track! I also agree with your assessment! :phones:

New presets pack from The FXB Project. :D

Monosynths for W.A. Productions Babylon. 128 presets, including 64 bass and 64 lead synths.

Intro price is 50% off, just $4.

https://thefxbproject.bandcamp.com/albu ... or-babylon

Are people really stupid enough to pay for presets, especially for a synth that comes with 500 or so?

Due to competition driving the no-brainer price craze,
I've kinda redefined things for myself, from a practicality standpoint,
based on what I can do with a small but useful amount of
knowledge concerning synths and sound design:

The computer is now the OS (chips/kernels/licenses can't
cary a tune)
The OS is now the daw (all hands on deck, if it works, work it!)
The daw is now the collection of synths/apps (grows like
a sci-fi beast when well fed :hyper: )
Each synth is now just a multi-faceted soundbank with a broader
range of choices.
Each soundbank justifies it's existance by having
at least one preset or effect useful in a song.
The rest is recycleable, or cheap disk space. :wink:

I'm a bit the same way - one nice patch is enough to justify buying something at this price and I've already made a handful for Babylon without even trying.

I really appreciate that IK keep adding new, free soundbanks for Uno. Every time I check there are new ones.

glokraw wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 am Due to competition driving the no-brainer price craze, I've kinda redefined things for myself, from a practicality standpoint, based on what I can do with a small but useful amount of knowledge concerning synths and sound design:
The computer is now the OS (chips/kernels/licenses can't
cary a tune)
The OS is now the daw (all hands on deck, if it works, work it!)
The daw is now the collection of synths/apps (grows like
a sci-fi beast when well fed :hyper: )
Each synth is now just a multi-faceted soundbank with a broader
range of choices.
Each soundbank justifies it's existance by having
at least one preset or effect useful in a song.
The rest is recycleable, or cheap disk space. :wink:
HUH... :shrug:
It is true.
But HUH..? :ud:

Sorry if I missed it on here, but how long will Babylon be at the intro price?

goto
https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals

from what i can see, it seams dec 9th

BONES wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:37 am Are people really stupid enough to pay for presets, especially for a synth that comes with 500 or so?
The beauty of the world is in the diversity of the people.

In music it is the same. There are musicians who love to make themselves their sounds, and there are musicians who don't want to dive in this side of the synths and prefer to have sounds already made for the only work they want to focus : the composition and the arrangements. Additional presets made independently by sound designers are made especially for this kind of musicians in priority (not forgetting the others of course). It is not STUPID as you pretend !

And 500 factory presets (or so, and even X thousands) remains few for synths which can produce tons of other sounds (especially those based on wavetables) than those featured in the factory bunch.

And to finish : it is boring to always have to read your insults (you spend your time to call people stupid in more than half of your posts) against everybody on the forums. You're one of the most aggressive members we ever read, having not even the least consideration for the other members as soon as they don't think the same way you do.

I also want to finish by recalling you that insulting other members on KVR forums is forbidden by the KVR rules !

The beauty of the world is in the diversity of the people as I wrote in my first sentence, and I wish you to remember that it is not only something to say about the ethnicities but also about the way they conduct their job or their hobbies ! Got it ?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BONES wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:37 am Are people really stupid enough to pay for presets, especially for a synth that comes with 500 or so?
Yes, they are... /it seems/.
yzcoruhT

BlackWinny wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 pmThere are musicians who love to make themselves their sounds, and there are musicians who don't want to dive in this side of the synths and prefer to have sounds already made for the only work they want to focus : the composition and the arrangements. Additional presets made independently by sound designers are made especially for this kind of musicians in priority (not forgetting the others of course). It is not STUPID as you pretend !
Oh, trust me, it is as stupid as it gets because it doesn't do what you suggest, it does the opposite, especially with a synth that's as easy to use as Babylon. Wading through hundreds of presets to find the right sound takes you away from composition/arrangement far more than quickly dialing one up from scratch does. In fact I can't think of a bigger workflow killer than being confronted with hundreds of presets and trying to find the one you need. So you can spend countless hours going through your vast libraries and flagging things you think might come in handy or you could spend the same amount of time learning to use the synth so that you don't need all those presets. As a consequence of this, you also become better at what you want to concentrate on because you get to know your tools much better.

Of course, it's different if you're Depeche Mode, you can hire someone to come in and make presets for the material you are working on. That definitely leaves you free to focus on what you'd rather be doing. For the rest of us, though, you are buying someone else's idea of what you might need and you still have to do a lot of work to fit it into what you are actually doing. It's a false economy.
And 500 factory presets (or so, and even X thousands) remains few for synths which can produce tons of other sounds (especially those based on wavetables) than those featured in the factory bunch.
No, 500 is 500, it is hours and hours of previewing. Dead time that could be spent actually learning how to use the instrument.
And to finish : it is boring to always have to read your insults (you spend your time to call people stupid in more than half of your posts) against everybody on the forums.
I call it how I see it. If you don't like being called stupid, don't do or say stupid things. It's not that hard.
You're one of the most aggressive members we ever read, having not even the least consideration for the other members as soon as they don't think the same way you do.
I speak like a man, not a child. If you find it offensive you need to grow up and develop a thicker skin.
I also want to finish by recalling you that insulting other members on KVR forums is forbidden by the KVR rules !
That would imply that people don't actually say and do stupid things when clearly they do it all the time.

Return to “Instruments”